Andalucía in December

westride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just returned from Andalucía, very much a last minute decision! I was watching the weather in the Malaga, Ronda region. Booked a 1200GS through IMTBIKE, booked my return flight from Glasgow. The opportunity to escape cold, December weather was too good to miss. Riding around Andalucía for 4 days in lovely weather, 23c during the day, dropping down to 9c at night. I had no plans, just enjoy great roads, weather and tapas!
I would highly recommend such a trip, hotels at reasonable prices. Stunning little villages, great for coffee stops.
Ok, it’s not cheap to rent a bike for 4 days but well worth it. I will definitely do this again.

Sounds like a perfect escape from the cold and rain. For the last couple of years in Spain (in the summer) almost every bike we saw at the hotels we stayed in seemed to come from IMTBike.

Yes, good people at IMT I first used them in Madrid, 4 day rental back then for tour west of Madrid, from memory that was about 15 years ago. Eleven years ago 4 of us rented from them for 4 days from Barcelona. If you can get cheap flights and accommodation, it's not too expensive. This was a Xmas present to myself. It would be even more attractive, if they had decent discounts over these winter months! I've mentioned this in their questions and answers, that all companies do nowadays.

Dare I ask the cost for the 4 day rental? Glad you had a great time Westride?

Glad you had a good time. The weather lately has been spot on for riding, and as you say, coffee stops in the White villagers is an added plus. You did the right thing by checking out the weather in advance. My daughter came for a week in late November and it rained cats and dogs the whole time that she was here. You probably saw the aftermath of the flooding when crossing bridges up in the mountains. I road up from Estepona over the mountain and into the Ganel valley this week, it was stunning.

Not as much as that! At the end of the day, I'm there in three hours, no boring M6, M5, no sea sickness! No damage to my bike, due to very, very rough seas!! I saw 12 bikes seriously damaged on one return trip. This definitely works for me, I'm sure it's not for everyone!

I've hired a bike a couple of times in Spain when flying out of Edinburgh, I'd deffo do it again. Like you say it's not cheap but living up here you can't ride there and back so hiring is a great option.

You don't really need a 1200 in Spain as the best rads are small and very, very bendy!

This year we've had record breaking bad weather - until the last few weeks - but November is always is a bit of a duff month so bear that in mind. Plus the fact that the western end of the mountains in Andalusia are extremely wet ...

Your right, you don’t need a 1200. It’s a choice, doesn’t matter where you are in the world! I’ve owned six 1200 GS’s. Now have a Yamaha Super Tenere. Again, it’s about choice! My reason for posting was about escaping our miserable weather in December! It’s so easy to do, yes it’s not cheap but if you can do it, go for it. Life is for living, I want to do as much living as I can. Life can change so quickly. I don’t want to come to my final day and say, wish I had done this or that! Motorbikes bring so much happiness to my life, it’s incredible what you feel and and see. No other transport does that for me. I’ve made so many friends because I was riding a motorbike.

Your right, you don’t need a 1200. It’s a choice, doesn’t matter where you are in the world! I’ve owned six 1200 GS’s. Now have a Yamaha Super Tenere. Again, it’s about choice! My reason for posting was about escaping our miserable weather in December! It’s so easy to do, yes it’s not cheap but if you can do it, go for it. Life is for living, I want to do as much living as I can. Life can change so quickly. I don’t want to come to my final day and say, wish I had done this or that! Motorbikes bring so much happiness to my life, it’s incredible what you feel and and see. No other transport does that for me. I’ve made so many friends because I was riding a motorbike.

Nice sentiment to greet the New Year! :)

Not as much as that! At the end of the day, I'm there in three hours, no boring M6, M5, no sea sickness! No damage to my bike, due to very, very rough seas!! I saw 12 bikes seriously damaged on one return trip. This definitely works for me, I'm sure it's not for everyone!

Totally agree, I was not stating a grand was expensive all in and as you say you paid less. Great pick me up in this shitty weather and thanks for sharing.

Off to Tenerife in Feb and will hire a bike early indications show a 250/400cc scoot is 40 to 50 euros a day. This will be big enough for 3 days riding.

I could not agree more. You have summed up what most, if not all of the bods on here feel.....:thumb

It won't last but it's boiling upe here in the Pyrenees, within sight of Andorra. 6º Minimum last night! :)

Simon

Alternatively why not use someone like Graham Swan at GS Motircycle Tours and just turn up and get a first class guided tour with a choice of bike and accommodation. Graham is a personal contact of mine and will tailor a holiday to suit you. Take a look at the website. Www.gsmotorcycletours.com He’s running some good winter discounts at the moment.
Regards Brian

Had lunch out on the terrace last week. Its not unheard of, but rare for this time of year. Its just turned dark now, and its still 17c on the terrace, 10c this morning when I took the dogs out first thing. This last month or so, its been perfect for ride outs. As has been said before check the weather first, if at all possible before booking.

Also allow for the weather in the mountains. A good tip too is the wind direction, an Easterly wind the Levante is damp and humid, so you tend to get damp patches on the roads that don't get any early morning sun on them, more so in the mountains. You can go into a bend on a dry road in the sun, only to find half way through the bend you are in the shade on a damp road, leaned over. The Poniente wind is from the West and its a dry wind, so you don't tend to get the damp roads, even in the shade. I hope this was useful.

Mmmm all I know when it rains it’s like Manchester on steroids.

Back
Top Bottom