Best town - West Coast of Scotland.

Far better off in Portpatrick, Glenluce isn’t bad either.

Used to get a bit interesting during the Glesca fair! Scotland's south coast is a nice part of the world though. As mentioned, Kirkudbright is interesting too with lots of artistic connections.

I’d advise the same as if looking for a place in France - make sure you are on the edge/within walking distance of a viable town. Saw a feature on a retired couple who had designed and built a house for their retirement - taking into account future abilities, but in building it in the middle of Perthshire countryside - hadn’t given any thought as to access, especially in winter - in future years.

Lots of nice towns/areas, but when you want close to sea on west coast - the choices reduce a lot, I think.

Going to Rightmove and searching on North Connel you'll see 3-5 bedroom waterfront detached properties with views up Loch Etive to Ben Chruachan, a few miles north of Oban and some of the best biking roads.
If only I could budge the other half.

Used to get a bit interesting during the Glesca fair! Scotland's south coast is a nice part of the world though. As mentioned, Kirkudbright is interesting too with lots of artistic connections.

I'm a stranger to Kirkcudbright and that coast. Do they get many midges?

I’d advise the same as if looking for a place in France - make sure you are on the edge/within walking distance of a viable town. Saw a feature on a retired couple who had designed and built a house for their retirement - taking into account future abilities, but in building it in the middle of Perthshire countryside - hadn’t given any thought as to access, especially in winter - in future years.

Lots of nice towns/areas, but when you want close to sea on west coast - the choices reduce a lot, I think.

Good advice. My retirement will mainly consist of having a huge garage and filling it interesting stuff to play with. So the next move may be my last.

Claire has accepted that, for my retirement years, I will mainly be dressed in overalls and smell faintly of paraffin.
Big garage, pot belly stove, far too many machine tools and several vehicles in various states of disrepair...…heaven.

Often, near my parents in rural eastlovia, you see mainly youngish families moving out to whatever Steading has been renovated/built.

It is fine until the first bad winter, when poor liddle Tabitha (or similar) is unable to get to brownies/gymkhana/gym due to snow etc.

Having no power/broadband/mobile phone network; heating lighting etc soon has them scurrying back towards civilisation until the next annual lemmings arrive.

A tad jaded, probably, and obvious not that relevant to us young tossers.

Until you need power for any medical equipment, for your dotage, or are unable to drive. Then decent public transport becomes a requirement.

Still, a pot bellied stove to keep warm and heat a brew, and much space for all the tools you promised yourself for that fine fettling is all a man truly needs.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Often, near my parents in rural eastlovia, you see mainly youngish families moving out to whatever Steading has been renovated/built.

It is fine until the first bad winter, when poor liddle Tabitha (or similar) is unable to get to brownies/gymkhana/gym due to snow etc.

Having no power/broadband/mobile phone network; heating lighting etc soon has them scurrying back towards civilisation until the next annual lemmings arrive.

A tad jaded, probably, and obvious not that relevant to us young tossers.

Until you need power for any medical equipment, for your dotage, or are unable to drive. Then decent public transport becomes a requirement.

Still, a pot bellied stove to keep warm and heat a brew, and much space for all the tools you promised yourself for that fine fettling is all a man truly needs.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

As long as his suppositories can get through he'll be ok...

Fort Augustus is a great shout, I'd have no qualms about moving there, lovely little place, always swarming with tourists in summer around the locks but some magnificent roads and there is always the Corrieyarich Pass is you really want to piss off the land owner and do some off roading ;)

Yes. Nice rolling hills, dundrennan firing range, home of the wicker man festival. Touristy place, great chippy.
Further west Garlieston home of the mulberry harbour, Wigtown the book town, Bladnoch distillery, Galloway forest. Fantastic costal route.

Not to mention the Southernmost pointin Scotland at the Mullof Galloway.

Arran would be my choice. We go once or twice a year to Lamlash, the island is looking great these days and ferry is cheap enough for frequent big city trips. Lots of nice restaurants in Brodick and Lamlash / Whiting bay, great walks and summers are usually very good. I live on the coast south of Aberdeen but if I didn't have 2 granddaughters locally I'd be off to Arran tomorrow (semi retired 2 years ago). We have friends in Largs and Fairlie and this would also be an option.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Spent a few summers up there in my childhood as my uncle operated the top gate. Very touristy now but still love the place.

Back
Top Bottom