Best town - West Coast of Scotland.

AberdeenAngus

Reaction score
Soooo.....
Thinking of moving to the West Coast when we pack in working in a few years time.
Wanting somewhere big enough to have a bit of life about it. Few decent restaurants and bars. Big enough so folk don’t know your business every minute. Preferably on the sea.
Long time favourites have been Ullapool, Oban, Portree, Pitlochry (though I’d rather be on the sea).
Recently also added Dunoon. Used to be a bit ‘down at heel’ but seems to be picking itself up now.
Also started thinking about possibly Helensburgh. It gets good write ups but I don’t know it at all and will need exploring.
Where else would folk recommend?

If money were no object, as in your case:D, I would look at Strathtay. Some very nice properties along there, and handy for Aberfeldy, Pitlochry, Perth and a quick ....and pretty...trip to the west.

Oban...or near it...would be my option of the towns you list. Some nice places north of Oban.

A skim over and I thought it was possible, then said “no”, “no”, “no”, “no”, “no”, to myself.

Not so sure that Dunoon is really on the up, but Helensburgh is at least decent commuting distance to Glasgow and appears to be gaining favour with better-off ‘commuters’.

Don’t forget to look at access to medical facilities (although they can change) in your pros/cons spreadsheet :D

My grandparents retired to Dunoon in the early 70's. Main disadvantage, rest and be thankful.

What about Fort William, or Arran ?

Have you considered, Ayrshire, or Dumfries and Galloway. If it is inland, Crieff/Auchterarder your roughly 30 minutes from Stirling/Perth and an hour from Edinburgh/Glasgow.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Not sure why, but I’ve never warmed to Fort Bill. I like it, and have friends that live there. Perhaps worth a proper look.
Funny you should mention Arran. I forgot to put it on my list. We both really like Arran.
Any particular towns in Ayrshire or D&G, you would recommend?

I live in Cardross near Helensburgh. Moved here 13 years ago. I think the area is a pretty decent compromise. It’s aprox 40 mins on the train to Glasgow city centre and yet minutes away from stunning scenery and great biking roads. Helensburgh has improved dramatically since we moved here with a decent selection of good restaurants.

Fort William - wet, wet, wet

Dumfries and Galloway - Nice, and if you pick a town with viable tourism then it is attractive. Kirkudbright seems a lovely town, and Castle Douglas nice also. Only downside is getting out of those places to other Cities/destinations.

Fort William - wet, wet, wet

Dumfries and Galloway - Nice, and if you pick a town with viable tourism then it is attractive. Kirkudbright seems a lovely town, and Castle Douglas nice also. Only downside is getting out of those places to other Cities/destinations.

If not wet wet wet then midge midge midge......

One of the reasons we live in Kingussie is because the weather is so much better than the west coast (I used to live in Gairloch). It's drier, much less midges, better snow in winter, less windy.

Also better than the east coast, warmer than Aberdeen etc.

Moray coast would be my next choice - Fochabers area. Nice climate, easy access to the good bits. After that, Inverness area as you have the Highlands on the doorstep plus good train links and an airport.

I'm in the Navy and based a ten minute drive north of Helensburgh. It's a nice wee town with quite a few decent restaurants and bars. Good roads for the bike are pretty close too, I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Since when was Strathtay or Pitlochry on the west coast :blast

I'd avoid Dunoon purely due to it being so close to Greenock, Pailsey and Glesgae, i.e. shitholes.

Fort Bill is a dump in my opinion but does have a lot going on but as stated, feck me, that coast get some rain.

Must admit, I do enjoy the drier weather here in Aberdeen and the (almost) lack of midges.
Just always loved the west coast.
Claire is from Dunoon and I’ve done enough camping on the West to know what we’re letting ourselves in for.
My ideal would be to find a plot and get my own built.
I’m particularly liking the SIPPS houses that Hebhomes does, but good sized waterside plots are like hens teeth.
We keep vacillating between living out in the countryside, or in a town. Village life is not for us because we’re quite private people.

Must admit, I do enjoy the drier weather here in Aberdeen and the (almost) lack of midges.
Just always loved the west coast.
Claire is from Dunoon and I’ve done enough camping on the West to know what we’re letting ourselves in for.
My ideal would be to find a plot and get my own built.
I’m particularly liking the SIPPS houses that Hebhomes does, but good sized waterside plots are like hens teeth.
We keep vacillating between living out in the countryside, or in a town. Village life is not for us because we’re quite private people.

Edge of a village is good if it gives you the combination of privacy and still being able to walk to the pub
I agree about liking the west coast - but happy with it being a very enjoyable hour away

As others have said, the west coast is miserably wet for large parts of the year:eek: If it was me I think I'd be looking for something on the east - Beauly, Dornoch, Golspie, Brora etc. Great areas in there own right with a great Moray Firth climate - then when it's nice in the west you jump on the bike and have great roads to the west and NW on your doorstep:thumb
It also means your not a huge distance from Inverness for main supplies when required?

Cheers..........Grizzly:beerjug:

Can't really say much at all about any of the destinations, but here's my three penn'oth.

1. I loved Portree but as we age we possibly need speedy access to medical facilities, (caveat it may already have them?).

2. Pitlochry is/was lovely (not been for a few years) but isn't it likely to be infested with tourists?

3. I grew up by the sea and for the 5 years I spent living in Northants I just wanted to be back on the coast.

Good luck Dave :beerjug:

As others have said, the west coast is miserably wet for large parts of the year:eek: If it was me I think I'd be looking for something on the east - Beauly, Dornoch, Golspie, Brora etc. Great areas in there own right with a great Moray Firth climate - then when it's nice in the west you jump on the bike and have great roads to the west and NW on your doorstep:thumb
It also means your not a huge distance from Inverness for main supplies when required?

Cheers..........Grizzly:beerjug:

+1, although how about the East Neuk of Fife. Lovely down there and a great climate. Or the Back Isle - should be able to find a property there with views over the firth - Fortrose is nice, Cromarty?

+1, although how about the East Neuk of Fife. Lovely down there and a great climate. Or the Back Isle - should be able to find a property there with views over the firth - Fortrose is nice, Cromarty?

Sorry, whereabouts on the west coast is the East Neuk of Fife, I may have missed it on my travels. :blast

Problem with Cromarty, is it's at the end, no shops as such, as for the locals....

Invergordon, or Tain; both have railway stations.

Turnberry or Ayr aren't to bad.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom