Transparent Float Bowls

I have a some for the carbs on my guzzi which came in the bits and pieces box with another Guzzi I bought years ago. I’ve used them a couple of times in the workshop but they’re now virtually opaque.

Does anyone have a factual reference to the correct float/fuel level that you would expect to see in one or these things?
Without that they are of limited value.
If you had the correct level and could convince them to sell you one bowl some might consider it to a useful workshop tool for setting float levels, but I have never found the carbs particularly sensitive to minor changes in float level - 1/2" down seems near enough!
And you could probably make something cheaper that works with a threaded barb and a bit clear plastic tube, if you have spare float bowls.

Just answering my own question re float levels, it seems the advice to set the level 1/2' down from the top with the bowl removed actually comes from Bing.
This depends on you having floats if the correct weight, 13 g or whatever, and the carbs reasonably level - some seem to have a steeper downdraft than others.
So with thes things you still have to set the level i/2" down as before, then refit the bowls and mark where the level is after fitting.
Or note the position of the floats, and they will probably be as near as dammit to where you would have set them using the alternative method of setting them parallel to the base!

I've asked Motorworks to get back to me about the levels. I see what looks like four level marks on the bowl in their video so might be something in that.

If it were ever designed for the same model it would have well with the glass headers

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/x...air-cooled-bmw-4-valve-boxer-35610-201-1.html

2d03f3dc548818c49029f4aabe6cd6e4.png

The kid in me who took his dinky toys apart to see how the little man was stuck inside lives on. I'll be buying a set partly out of curiosity especially as to how it all looks like when accelerating hard although I'll use a camera to see that since might not be very safe to be leaning down for a peep with full throttle on.

I've had a pair on permanently since at least April '18, maybe a little earlier. I like them, no problem, reassuring really & useful, you see fuel problems early. They're on a pair of 32's, but you have to use the new clips as the wire used changed over the years, I thought they'd crack under some of the tension I put them under on different bikes. They didn't, just flexed a bit & went back to shape, so beware of this if you use them to check other bikes. I just hold them up with my hands to get a reading now on other bikes.
The scale on the side is a guide to 'equality', different bike ranges sit on their stands differently so a set level is meaningless. I set mine 14mm below the gasket edge of the bowl, filled and off the bike first. I now know what to look for on my bike now from the scale. It's worked for me for years on that figure.
To make them handed you just have to unscrew the appropriate slug, there's a metering hole going through to the main chamber from the 'well', a little like the old float bowls. I get a 'differential' choke so it seems to work as normal.

Some info Motorworks sent me on them.

1) The material used for the bowls has been specifically chosen for its high resistance to petrol and UV light. We have extensively tested these on our own and volunteer customers’ bikes both for performance and durability.

2) The original BMW float bowl clips vary somewhat in the tension they operate at, which is why we supply clips of a uniform type with the bowls.

3) Ideal float heights vary from one machine to another (partly due to varying postures of bikes on or off their stands) and the transparent bowls enable customers to ensure that the floats are at the ideal height for their bike (or experiment with various heights) as you can view the height of the float with the bowls on and while the bike is running. As a rough guide fuel should stop entering the bowl when it is about 15mm from the top.

4) You can also see if there is any contamination in the bowl, or you’ve run out of fuel! In our experience people use these for permanent fitment and workshop use (or both!). Ideally use two so you can view both float heights without disturbing the carbs.

5) A common cause of flooding on the standard carb is the float sticking to the base of the bowl; our transparent bowls have pins in the base for the float to sit on to prevent this happening.

Polysulfone is my guess, I designed and manufactured a lot of parts using it. Tough stuff, and expensive.

Yes I believe it is a sulfone but I don’t know which one. I’ve heard others commenting on the lack of over flow tube. Bing didn’t use one on their ethanol friendly set. The float chamber vents through to holes in its ‘cieling’ on the main body to let air out as the chamber fills & that acts more than well enough as an overflow too.

Had a set lying around for a while. Stuck them on today using the existing gasket and clip despite motorworks supplying new clip and gssket. No issues, no leaks. I did carry the metal bowls with me just in case there was an issue. No estimating or guessing if levels are OK, it's there to be seen. Part of me just likes the look of them, reminds me of how you used to be able to see a little spinning fan thing in a clear bubble on petrol pumps in not too distant past. I'll carry the old bowls around for a while just in case a flying stone cracks them but they do seem pretty robust.

Attachments

• DSC_0752.jpg
    DSC_0752.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC_0751.jpg
    DSC_0751.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 444
Nice one! Be interesting t watch the behaviour when starting using the choke!

Back
Top Bottom