Nautilus - what am I doing wrong?

L

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just fittin a Nautilus (thanks Steve B) and the 7.5Amp fuse blows (the one in the fuse box on the bike). Should I be replacing it with a 20Amp fuse, or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

L

Are you using the relay?

It needs to go through the relay and an in-line 20amp fuse.

Yeah, what GDR up there said. Take a fused 20A feed from the battery via the relay and use the connectors from the horn relay in t'fuse box as the leads to the horn. There's space in the fuse box for the horn relay.

I can't recall which connector goes where - I worked it out with a multimeter to see what was earthed and what was "earthed-when-switched-on".

Alternatively, and it's what I'll do next time, put it in the "For Sale and Wanted" and get a Magnum 80, which is a straight swap for the standard horn...

Fuse holder waiting to be conected to red wires, behind the yellow wire.
29546786-L.jpg

Relay under headstock.
29546787-L.jpg

Try HERE

L said:
Just fittin a Nautilus (thanks Steve B) and the 7.5Amp fuse blows (the one in the fuse box on the bike). Should I be replacing it with a 20Amp fuse, or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

L

L

Now you see why I didn't bother to fit it :confused:

Steve B

got the relay...

wired in with an inline 20Amp fuse direct from the battery - which is why I'm a bit confused! Why's the main horn fuse (7.5Amp) blowing then?

Re: got the relay...

L said:
wired in with an inline 20Amp fuse direct from the battery - which is why I'm a bit confused! Why's the main horn fuse (7.5Amp) blowing then?

Have you got the original box the horn came in?

On it there are two options for wiring. One is for systems that use a 'hot' button, ie one that is permanently live and pressing the button earths it. This is the system BMW use. You have to use the appropriate relay connection. If you have connected it the other way (so that the horn button supplies power instead of earthing it) that's likely to be the cause of the problem.

Stick with it. The same happened to me when I first attempted to wire it up. I realised that I'd assumed the switch would supply power not earth it and once I'd realised this, I've never had an issue with the horn since (Fnarr, fnarr!). Twas a Godsend in Paris a couple of weeks ago!

sorted!!!!

At last. Fixed it. The problem was probably me being a bit daft, connecting up the relay in the same positions as those shown on the box. BUT, they're actually in different positions. Thanks to Boxer's link and the finer intracasies of relay connections, I've reconnected the relay and successfully parped my way to annoy the neighbours. Bloody good show. Cheers Steve for the Nautilus, and everyone else for their help!

Back
Top Bottom