Where the hell is winter?

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Normally by now the hills have a good covering of snow above about 2000ft with spells of snow down to 1000ft common.

This winter, so far, hasn't turned up. No snow at town level yet, the hills are virtually bare and the forecast is for daytime temperatures of between 11 and 5 degrees for the next week.

The funicular railway at Cairngorm may have chosen the best winter to be broken as there is sod all skiing as yet. A lot of the local economy depends on the snow and the ski industry so not good right now for business, only good for the heating bills.

I'm normally out in the hills about twice a week - but not as envisaged right now. Winter kit can go back in the shed for a while. Global warming or cyclical weather patterns? No idea (but we did enjoy the warmest and driest summer for years in 2018 so that may be the flip side of the coin). I imagine most will be happy at the warm temperatures?

Don’t worry still plenty of time for the worst Winter ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye, I realise that sometimes you should be careful what you wish for! Away to check the woodshed is well stocked

Normally by now the hills have a good covering of snow above about 2000ft with spells of snow down to 1000ft common.

This winter, so far, hasn't turned up. No snow at town level yet, the hills are virtually bare and the forecast is for daytime temperatures of between 11 and 5 degrees for the next week.

The funicular railway at Cairngorm may have chosen the best winter to be broken as there is sod all skiing as yet. A lot of the local economy depends on the snow and the ski industry so not good right now for business, only good for the heating bills.

I'm normally out in the hills about twice a week - but not as envisaged right now. Winter kit can go back in the shed for a while. Global warming or cyclical weather patterns? No idea (but we did enjoy the warmest and driest summer for years in 2018 so that may be the flip side of the coin). I imagine most will be happy at the warm temperatures?
According to Edinburgh Evening news, there will be the worst ever winter, since the last one, snow so deep you cannot see your feet, and the end of the world, stock up on essentials now, NOW I say !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

And you’re complaining because????

Complaining about no winter? Or about shooting and voting Tory?

If you mean winter, it is because I normally spend my winters skiing (downhill at Cairngorm as it is nearby and I have a season pass and cross country skiing on local tracks), winter hill walking and winter climbing.

Not a lot of that lot available just now. I enjoy a good winter (defined by me as one I can do winter sports in) as much as a good summer so I don't want a damp warm winter.

Weather bulletin from wifey who is back in the Russian motherland visiting famiy - quite warm yesterday at only -7C! She went out skiing all day.

It can have nice spells in December but the odd thing this year is it is 12c all day long.
I was just out at 8pm and the RT still shows 12c.
In my experience this time of year the temp dips after sunset.

It can have nice spells in December but the odd thing this year is it is 12c all day long.
I was just out at 8pm and the RT still shows 12c.
In my experience this time of year the temp dips after sunset.
All depends upon the cloud cover, normally this time of year, there is high pressure from the East, giving dry cold weather.

180 miles going nowhere today on gsa, long may this weather continue

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

................. :D

Attachments

• 7B9178E5-5047-4320-B639-6B705834A183.jpeg
    7B9178E5-5047-4320-B639-6B705834A183.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 268

Back
Top Bottom