NC500 Scotland in June

This trip is on my bucket list and hope to do it this year.
Off peak time hopefully and still find some dry time to travel. When is best?
I fancy stopping for at least two nights camping in some of the locations along the route to check out the distilleries, castles or idyllic villages. Any suggestion of places?

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

I fancy stopping for at least two nights camping in some of the locations along the route to check out the distilleries, castles or idyllic villages. Any suggestion of places?

I did it in October and it was reasonably quiet, and dry (ish). Would still advise you book accommodation though.

Good morning Mark, if you need any info regarding your motorcycle trip to Scotland then let me know, I am also in the middle of setting up a small MC tour guide business at the minute, as mentioned in some of these comments, there is a lot more to see than the NC 500, loads more. Inner and Outer Hebrides etc. I have plotted a new route that I am doing for 2019 that will use some of the NC 500 and then onto more stunning locations, you will see some amazing scenery along the way and the best beaches you will have ever seen. Scotland always delivers the good, especially when the weather is nice.
Cheers
Jamie

We plan to drive the NC500 in June with three friends/motorcycles. Is it necessary to reserve the b & b's and hotels in advance?
we are starting, leaving the ferry in Newcastle and planning 7 day, is this enough time?

thanx for responce:thumb2

Mark (NL)

As already stated - weatherwise pack for everything.

As far as the Far North and Northwest go for camping: Campsite at John O'Groats (Seaview Hotel can be a good night if the locals are on form and there's not too many tourists in there), Durness (Sango Sands) campsite is right onto a decent beach with a pub next door. Never stopped at the site in Scourie so can't comment on that place. Clachtoll beach site outside Lochinver is nice.

Ullapool is the obvious biggie on the West side, but to be honest, if you want somewhere really laid back and off the beaten track you must stop at Badrallach campsite on Little Loch Broom. Which is just South of Ullapool. I love it, but havn't been for a few years now.

Applecross camping is a decent big site with the Applecross pub doing excellent food. Top tip: Go for your evening meal early, it's not a big place and you can blag the best seats by the fire that way. It can get VERY busy at main mealtimes.

Do take time to explore the little side roads in the Far North, don't follow the herd!

Thanks !!
Møre information is always helpfull.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Kylesku is worth a visit, nice hotel with great food.
Durness is a great pitstop with a good campsite, a range of B&B/Hotel accommodation, and 2 pubs serving food :0
Ullapool is awesome. good camping, a few great pubs, good eateries, and a range of accommodation. Saturday night can be fun...
Applecross is recommended by others - lovely place,

Depends which way your heading from Newcastle East or West, and how far you are wishing to ride on first day.

If you going East, I'd go up A1 aiming for Edinburgh for first overnight stop. Approx 140 miles. If speed/distance isn't needed then A68 from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Watch out for Mr Gatso !

Edinburgh is nice to visit, but motorcycle theft has been a problem find somewhere with secure storage, if you stay over.

From Edinburgh, over Forth Crossing towards Perth, then Blairgowrie, Braemar, Grantown on Spey (whisky distillery) Nairn, Inverness. You are now at beginning of NC 500.

If you were going west, it is harder to cut cross country and not hit Glasgow motorways.

Again if you take M90 exit J4 follow signs for Knockhill, A823 Auchterarder/Crieff.

Either turn right out of Crieff, then Left A822 Aberfeldy. Head West out of Aberfeldy A827 towards Killin (scenic water falls) towards Crianlarich A85.
Take A82 to Tyndrum choice of either A82 Glencoe or A85 to Oban watch out for speed camera vans !

If you go left out of Crieff, A85 towards Lochearnhead, turn right at end of village A85 towards Crianlarich then as above.

I reckon a day for Edinburgh/sight seeing.

A day up East coast to Inverness then NC500.

Slightly quicker West route maybe 4-6 hours including fuel stops/food.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Why go on the main roads? There are some fabulous B roads and smaller going in the right direction... As and Ms are for white van man!

I always say do it clockwise but don’t do the East Coast. When you reach Bettyhill head South via Altnaharra, Lairg and Bonar Bridge. Very quiet roads and lovely countryside.

I always say do it clockwise but don’t do the East Coast. When you reach Bettyhill head South via Altnaharra, Lairg and Bonar Bridge. Very quiet roads and lovely countryside.

Altnaharra hotel has a bunkhouse and the hotel breakfasts are ace. :thumb

I like the run down the east coast,, but whichever way you go, cut across to Dornoch (the Carnegie Courthouse cafe is really good) and south from there take the ferry from Nigg to Cromarty, much more interesting than staying on the A9.

I always say do it whichever way you fancy but don’t miss the East Coast!

The scenery up from Dornoch isn't as amazing as the west coast typically is, but, on a warm day you could believe you were in the Mediteranean when in some of the villages. Plus the A9 is a good fast A road, with plenty of overtaking opportunities. And if you want to go on a road less traveled, with a road surface a superbike would hate, then hop along to here: https://www.google.com/maps/@58.125...4!1szh1bO0OThlDngF5ORVQ8uA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 just watch out for sheep sleeping on the road! And if you love wide open spaces, then north of Helmsdale is for you, just hope that it's not too windy.

However once done you might not feel the same pull as you do with the west coast, then the suggestion of cutting the corner off going via Altnahara is a great one, but, only after exploring the bleak lonely roads around the Forsinard Flow country.

+1

Always enjoy that road through Glen Loth, but the surface gets more and more grass down the middle! Good views over the Helmsdale...

I’m booked in to do this at the end of May, 26th onwards I believe, four days and I’m doing it clockwise. I’ve done it before but since getting the GS I want to experience it on that. I always book my accommodation well in advance to avoid disappointment.

bfac2f0a647f82fbb5d1a57902ea3ce5.jpg

Thanks all, we had a great time!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom