Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NC500 Scotland in June

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Thanks for the tips.
    I normally pre-book on Booking.com with free cancellation up to 48hrs before arriving - there's less choice but a good insurance policy against having to endure a week of foul weather or face losing money. As the east coast and inland is less touristy I guess there's less of a requirement to pre book rooms, so we could book rooms for the NC500 and hope to go with that but bale out in the week leading up to the departure and find somewhere else that's drier. I don't mind riding in the rain but would like to be able to actually see some of the sights rather than have 7 days of mist and poor visibility!

I'm doing it at the end off may, have 6 days planned to do it but not booked anywhere as we plan to wild camp, I was told to do anti clockwise as it saves the best scenery till last,

Me and my partner did it in reverse, on a crf1000 and a cb500x in July 2017, it was really biz but with us going the other way traffic was lighter, good choice we made, I think,
    Pre booked rooms just as well, stayed in b and b's with two hostels really enjoyed it

May can be a very good time.

I agree that anti clockwise is best.

I would still miss out the top right corner altogether, but I've been there, and I suppose if you haven't.....you will!

Do call in to the Castle of Mey....the large bearded kilted guide has a 1200GS..... Good soup in the refreshment room as well!

This trip is on my bucket list and hope to do it this year.
    Off peak time hopefully and still find some dry time to travel. When is best?
    I fancy stopping for at least two nights camping in some of the locations along the route to check out the distilleries, castles or idyllic villages. Any suggestion of places?

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk
    A GOAL is an end toward which some specific effort is directed!
    Go forth and prosper!

Quote Originally Posted by Rugged Path View Post
    I fancy stopping for at least two nights camping in some of the locations along the route to check out the distilleries, castles or idyllic villages. Any suggestion of places?

I did it in October and it was reasonably quiet, and dry (ish). Would still advise you book accommodation though.

Good morning Mark, if you need any info regarding your motorcycle trip to Scotland then let me know, I am also in the middle of setting up a small MC tour guide business at the minute, as mentioned in some of these comments, there is a lot more to see than the NC 500, loads more. Inner and Outer Hebrides etc. I have plotted a new route that I am doing for 2019 that will use some of the NC 500 and then onto more stunning locations, you will see some amazing scenery along the way and the best beaches you will have ever seen. Scotland always delivers the good, especially when the weather is nice.
    Cheers
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by mr805 View Post
    We plan to drive the NC500 in June with three friends/motorcycles. Is it necessary to reserve the b & b's and hotels in advance?
    we are starting, leaving the ferry in Newcastle and planning 7 day, is this enough time?

thanx for responce

Mark (NL)
    Adventure Bike Rider......... Ride - Eat - Sleep - Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Rugged Path View Post

As already stated - weatherwise pack for everything.

As far as the Far North and Northwest go for camping: Campsite at John O'Groats (Seaview Hotel can be a good night if the locals are on form and there's not too many tourists in there), Durness (Sango Sands) campsite is right onto a decent beach with a pub next door. Never stopped at the site in Scourie so can't comment on that place. Clachtoll beach site outside Lochinver is nice.

Ullapool is the obvious biggie on the West side, but to be honest, if you want somewhere really laid back and off the beaten track you must stop at Badrallach campsite on Little Loch Broom. Which is just South of Ullapool. I love it, but havn't been for a few years now.

Applecross camping is a decent big site with the Applecross pub doing excellent food. Top tip: Go for your evening meal early, it's not a big place and you can blag the best seats by the fire that way. It can get VERY busy at main mealtimes.

Do take time to explore the little side roads in the Far North, don't follow the herd!

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Thanks !!
    Mřre information is always helpfull.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Kylesku is worth a visit, nice hotel with great food.
    Durness is a great pitstop with a good campsite, a range of B&B/Hotel accommodation, and 2 pubs serving food :0
    Ullapool is awesome. good camping, a few great pubs, good eateries, and a range of accommodation. Saturday night can be fun...
    Applecross is recommended by others - lovely place,
    K1200RS
    R1200GS LC

Not forgetting a visit to Smoo cave.

Planning on the NC500 very late April, thanks for the tip about Johns book Gerard
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Quote Originally Posted by Tractors are go View Post
    Depends which way your heading from Newcastle East or West, and how far you are wishing to ride on first day.

If you going East, I'd go up A1 aiming for Edinburgh for first overnight stop. Approx 140 miles. If speed/distance isn't needed then A68 from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Watch out for Mr Gatso !

Edinburgh is nice to visit, but motorcycle theft has been a problem find somewhere with secure storage, if you stay over.

From Edinburgh, over Forth Crossing towards Perth, then Blairgowrie, Braemar, Grantown on Spey (whisky distillery) Nairn, Inverness. You are now at beginning of NC 500.

If you were going west, it is harder to cut cross country and not hit Glasgow motorways.

Again if you take M90 exit J4 follow signs for Knockhill, A823 Auchterarder/Crieff.

Either turn right out of Crieff, then Left A822 Aberfeldy. Head West out of Aberfeldy A827 towards Killin (scenic water falls) towards Crianlarich A85.
    Take A82 to Tyndrum choice of either A82 Glencoe or A85 to Oban watch out for speed camera vans !

If you go left out of Crieff, A85 towards Lochearnhead, turn right at end of village A85 towards Crianlarich then as above.

I reckon a day for Edinburgh/sight seeing.

A day up East coast to Inverness then NC500.

Slightly quicker West route maybe 4-6 hours including fuel stops/food.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Why go on the main roads? There are some fabulous B roads and smaller going in the right direction... As and Ms are for white van man!

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Why go on the main roads? There are some fabulous B roads and smaller going in the right direction... As and Ms are for white van man!
    I agree, but if you are on holiday and wish to cover ground quickly

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I always say do it clockwise but don’t do the East Coast. When you reach Bettyhill head South via Altnaharra, Lairg and Bonar Bridge. Very quiet roads and lovely countryside.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkShelley View Post
    I always say do it clockwise but don’t do the East Coast. When you reach Bettyhill head South via Altnaharra, Lairg and Bonar Bridge. Very quiet roads and lovely countryside.
    Altnaharra hotel has a bunkhouse and the hotel breakfasts are ace.
    Start every day with a smile ... Get it over with!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast