KtM 690 Duke 2016 clutch slave cylinder problem

velo

Reaction score
Here's the story. You may have heard it already. It is probably not model specific. At about 1000 miles returning into town after a fastish trip in the hills approaching a rising slope before stopping at traffic lights, I lost any feel from the clutch and could not select neutral. Long story short, got it home in second without changing gear! M and P collected the bike in a van to find out what was wrong I told them to bleed the clutch just in case. Back to normal. A year on it has just happened again on the Gower and been Britannia rescued. Now out of warranty I decided I'd have to do the investigation or sell it. First there was no fluid in the reservoir so in a year it had leaked the lot though there was no obvious evidence of leakage on the engine cases or drips on the floor. Second, I removed the slave cylinder - easy enough. This revealed that the outer piston seal had been improperly fitted round the central piston flange - half of the seal lip was across the outside of the central flange, not sealing anything. This must have been like this from new. So it has been slowly leaking from new. was topped up when bled by the dealer, only to continue leaking as before. I have fitted the original seal but it has been distorted by the two years of being stretched outside the flange that it should have been seated underneath. I hope this is clear enough to give the picture. I have ordered an Oberon slave cylinder and will try to get a new original equipment seal out of KTM. This was obviously an assembly error. But if I was preparing for a long trip in the wilds I'd want to inspect this component to rule out this fault. Annual servicing which included bleeding the clutch would simply obscure the real sate of affairs. I hope this is helpful. It is a lovely dynamic bike but this reminds me of Velocettes!

Back
Top Bottom