Car Mode???

MisterB

Reaction score
Every time I switch the bike on with the Nav 6 installed it asks if I want to switch to Car Mode. Anyone know why it’s doing this & how I can stop it please?

I have this prompt on my Nav V. Have a mooch around your Nav unit and you’ll probably find ‘car’ selected. Well that’s what I hope it is as I have to change mine too.

My guess is that you have used the device to calculate or maybe store a 'car' route, possibly even used the unit on a car mount in your car.

Deletion of any car routes from the memory should get the thing back to thinking bike only.

IIRC there was a thread way back about this issue.

I have this prompt on my Nav V. Have a mooch around your Nav unit and you’ll probably find ‘car’ selected. Well that’s what I hope it is as I have to change mine too.

I've checked & it's definitely set to bike!

My guess is that you have used the device to calculate or maybe store a 'car' route, possibly even used the unit on a car mount in your car.

Deletion of any car routes from the memory should get the thing back to thinking bike only.

IIRC there was a thread way back about this issue.

Hmmm. Not that I know of - I've definitely not used it in a car. Is there any way to know if a stored route is a car route?

Hmmm. Not that I know of - I've definitely not used it in a car. Is there any way to know if a stored route is a car route?

You can only interrogate each stored route, as I understand it. Maybe Wapping will interject if there is a simpler way.

Alternatively, do a bit of New Year housekeeping, delete all the old crap & just check the remainder. Personally, I usually delete everything after a tour, when most routes will not be required again.

Start with the simplest thing, clean the pins and contacts.

Check that the device is not set by default to operate in car mode.

Mend it? Yes? Great. No? Let’s move on.

I’d suggest that your device thinks it’s running a route created in car mode. That can happen a number of ways. Here’s two:

1. It was created in BaseCamp or Mapsource in car mode originally

2. It was created (as so many routes are) in some third party software which Garmin cannot read properly, so it defaults to car mode

You can only interrogate each stored route, as I understand it. Maybe Wapping will interject if there is a simpler way.

Alternatively, do a bit of New Year housekeeping, delete all the old crap & just check the remainder. Personally, I usually delete everything after a tour, when most routes will not be required again.

I think it might have to come to that! Thanks buddy :thumb2

Start with the simplest thing, clean the pins and contacts.

Check that the device is not set by default to operate in car mode.

Mend it? Yes? Great. No? Let’s move on.

I’d suggest that your device thinks it’s running a route created in car mode. That can happen a number of ways. Here’s two:

1. It was created in BaseCamp or Mapsource in car mode originally

2. It was created (as so many routes are) in some third party software which Garmin cannot read properly, so it defaults to car mode

It's definitely set to bike mode & I've never used it in the car.

My routes are planned on MyRouteApp & then imported - never had a problem before with either the Nav V (or 6) or TomToms.

It asks me this every time as soon as it starts so I haven't even selected a route at that stage. Something is clearly amiss though so maybe it's time for the nuclear option & a factory reset.

Thanks buddy :thumb2

I’d give the pins and contacts a brush up first.

I am guessing but if one of the pins is stuck or dirty, the device might not recognise the bike mount and assume it’s in a car mount. It’s a long shot but probably worth a go before hitting the delete button.

If you know someone with the same mount (or can drop by a BMW dealership) you could try the device out with their bike, to see what happens.

Failing that, I can only guess that it’s got thoroughly confused and needs hitting with a hammer.

PS The previously excellent Zumo forum closed down but has re-born itself as the Zumousersforums.co.uk It’s free to join, they might be able to help you.

I’d give the pins and contacts a brush up first.

I am guessing but if one of the pins is stuck or dirty, the device might not recognise the bike mount and assume it’s in a car mount. It’s a long shot but probably worth a go before hitting the delete button.

If you know someone with the same mount (or can drop by a BMW dealership) you could try the device out with their bike, to see what happens.

Failing that, I can only guess that it’s got thoroughly confused and needs hitting with a hammer.

PS The previously excellent Zumo forum closed down but has re-born itself as the Zumousersforums.co.uk It’s free to join, they might be able to help you.

I'll try both - thanks Wapping :thumb2

Had this with my Nav V, whilst in the cradle, I changed to car mode, then back to bike and saved. Also cleaned all the pins on the mount and back of the unit, never did it again

Had this with my Nav V, whilst in the cradle, I changed to car mode, then back to bike and saved. Also cleaned all the pins on the mount and back of the unit, never did it again

Thanks casbar - I'll definitely give the pins a clean!

Back
Top Bottom