GARELLI TIGER CROSS

One of my fellow apprentices bought a brand new Garelli Rekord and seized it in under a month after putting creosote in the tank instead of 2 stroke oil. His excuse was that it was dark and he thought it was his dads supply of 2 stroke oil. His dad raced a TZ350 and couldn’t stop laughing :D

Edit: the fastest moped was the Fantic TI which went like a rocket :eek:

So, now it's running i have spoken to a few people and decided what to do with it. I am going to do a sympathetic restoration on it. This means for me i will get the frame and swing arm powder coated, and the black parts like engine side cases, pedal cover, stand, rear light and No plate bracket etc done also. I will get the few silver parts, Headlamp bowl and brackets, chain guard, Fork lowers, toolbox, front mudguard brackets powder coated as well.

The engine is fine, i will clean up the ally and the powder coated side cases with new decals will set it off a treat. I am keen to keep as many OE parts as I can on the bike, the exhaust and mudguards are marked, but will autos up a treat. Rear mudguard has a small split and some light marking, but this is going back on. I am really not sure what to do with the wheels as yet. They do need doing buy as i say i am not sure wether to buy new rims and re-lace with new spokes, or have them powder coated as well..

Here are some pics I took today..

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 936
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 944
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 974
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 839
And a few more...

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 868
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 816
And the last few....

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 897
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 800
JUST MAKE SURE THE FRONT SPROCKET HASNT BEEN WELDED TO THE SHAFT,COMMON FAULT ON THESE!!!!!!!!! DAM GOOD FUN BACK IN THE DAY,,,,,,,,,,,S

If I dare say, I'd go for new chrome rims and spokes. It just woudn't look right powder coated rims, and It is worth it :cool:

If I dare say, I'd go for new chrome rims and spokes. It just woudn't look right powder coated rims, and It is worth it :cool:

Totally agree,
Whilst it’s not a cheap job having wheels Built/refurbed,
It finishes the bike,
Of course whether rebuilt wheels will add £300 + to its value is another matter entirely,
Irrelevant if it’s a keeper not so if it’s going to resold on completion

Well spotted re the Honda, although its a C90!

The more i think about it the more i agree about the wheels, its not a cost issue, i will do them myself using new rims and spokes, i was just keen to keep the bike on the original wheels...

The more i think about it the more i agree about the wheels, its not a cost issue, i will do them myself using new rims and spokes, i was just keen to keep the bike on the original wheels...
You could get them re chromed but I dare’nt think how much that would be. If you do decide to get them re chromed Allenchrome in Pocklington nr York are very good, but plan well ahead because the waiting time is weeks.

Really looking forward to this project as it goes on :thumb2

I did enquire about re-chroming the original wheels, £100 each!!:eek::eek: I can buy new ones for that? Hmmm...

I removed the speedo and had a play with it, now working, it was just stuck, and i'll get the mount powder coated as well...

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 730

Can’t imagine that new pattern rims will be any better or worse than the originals:thumb
But powder coated ,,would just lower the standard of anything you do to another half finished eBay bike.imo
Best of luck
Looking forward to seeing your progress:D

Lovely bike. Always wanted one, especially when I was an idiot teenager in my last years at school.

If you are doing a sympathetic restoration I personally wouldn't powder coat anything - use enamel paint, much truer to the original. But what do I know.

Good luck, cant wait to see it finished. :D

£100 each rim sounds about right to me, so long as they do a good job of them

Just love that Huret speedo, you could get that chrome re done :D

So, the bike is now completely stripped, I am taking the parts to Banbury tomorrow for powder coating.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg