GARELLI TIGER CROSS

The smudger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Picked up this little beauty today, i plan to restore it over the next 6 months,....

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 2,091
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 3,078
Great stuff - a moped of my youth.

Can you upgrade the electrics? - they are the weak point

The gearbox sprocket would be a good starting point :D

My dad took me to the Earls Court motorbike show when I was about fifteen. (C1961) There was a red Garelli on their stand, oh how I lusted after that 'bike. Dad couldn't get me off it. He often reminded me of what the guy working on the stand said to him ...
"If it was my bike to give, I'd give it to him, just look at him"

:beerjug:

It must have been around 1972/1973...something to do with raising the school leaving age. My (slightly older than me) mates could leave school and get jobs, whilst I had to stay on at school for another year.

Said mates got jobs and soon there was a blast of FS1Es/AP50s ring a dinging around the streets. I was jealous but worse was soon to come. Shaun bought a Tiger Cross...FFS, I had never seen anything like it, pretty as a picture and oh so ...:cool:

THEN...Dave bought a Garelli Rekord (correct spelling) He instantly fitted clip ons and a hump backed race seat...a bright red mini 916 !!!..:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Please keep us up to speed with the resto'.....:thumb2

First bike I got pulled over on by the Police. :nono
Wheelies were incredibly easy to achieve and hard to avoid

Wow, what a find and it looks complete, gold! Hope you got a V5!

Take loads of pictures and file them, start a spreadsheet so you know what you’re doing with stuff, when it went in and how much it costs.

Be absolutely clear what you expect to be done by a trader. Write it down with pictures and get firm date for when it will be done, give them a copy with the parts

Things that have and still are taking a long time for me were paint 2 month?, wheel building 3 month? and seat covering 2 month so far... (still waiting for the seat).

Build a work table on casters in timber, it's a light weight so it won't need to be super strong. It's so easy building from a work table

Wow, what a find and it looks complete, gold! Hope you got a V5!

Take loads of pictures and file them, start a spreadsheet so you know what you’re doing with stuff, when it went in and how much it costs.

Be absolutely clear what you expect to be done by a trader. Write it down with pictures and get firm date for when it will be done, give them a copy with the parts

Things that have and still are taking a long time for me were paint 2 month?, wheel building 3 month? and seat covering 2 month so far... (still waiting for the seat).

Build a work table on casters in timber, it's a light weight so it won't need to be super strong. It's so easy building from a work table

Ha ha, all very good advice, especially re controlling subbing out work (not something I've done with my Bully but wish I had).

The spreadsheet bit is invaluable though. You think you'll remember who's got what, what they are doing, when you gave it to them, various contacts you've been given, who's recommended what etc etc etc ........ like feck will you :D The only downside is logging the costs and seeing how much it's costing you..............

Lovely bike by the way :thumb2 In my little group of sixteener specials we all rode Italian or German bikes (I had a Fantic GT) and there were a couple of guys with Garellis...... Happy daze :)

Andres

Wow; you've dropped on yer feet with that; cracking find; it looks all there. Never owned one myself; but have ridden one. 2 up over Mam tor on our way to Stockport. We had to stop halfway up to let it cool down.:D. Great memories.

Me on mine in 1980, bought for £50.

Attachments

• IMG_4915.JPG
    IMG_4915.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,696
If i recall it was the fastest of the Peds at that time

My sisters BF & his mates had Suzy's & Yams, all pretty rapid, but one of my mates brothers had the Garelli, it used to leave them standing lol.

I remember he binned it one night, I litterally mean binned it lol.

Some builders left a skip outside our house on the main road, back in the mid 70's, cones & lights were marginal at best ;).

Dark winter night, lights cones missing, and he runs straight into the end of the skip, flips it over and ends up in a pile of rubbish with a wrecked

bike on top of him. We never heard a thing, he walked away without a scratch and the bike was history.

His was dark Green if i recall, sounded really sporty too

WOW! So much interest over such a little bike! Yes Ebbo, i did get the V5 and its only had 2 owners...

I am looking forward to the build, tomorrow ill get it running properly, (it runs now but keeps stalling, sounds so sweet when it runs though!) ride it up and down the drive to make sure it all works (gears etc), then get to work on it.

Frame and swing arm. Powder-Coat or Paint?
Tank. I had earmarked Chris to do this but alas he is no longer with us of course... Anyone recommend a good painter?
Wheels & seat. I'll do them myself.
Engine and box. So long as it runs well, ill clean it up and paint the side cases, new stickers and thats all.
Toolbox, fork legs, headlamp backing, all silver parts. Again, need a good painter.
Re-wire. I'll do that (only about 8 wires!!)

I've found a chap in WSM called Bob, who has a whole host of spares!

I love it!!!

And yes, Garelli's WERE the fastest per in the 70's, as i recall, SS50's were the slowest! The downside to having the fastest ped was that you were constantly replacing the piston!!

My mate from Northampton has two, in his office at home, though he says they are agrati Garelli tiger crosses, supposedly rare, low mileage models, because they broke down so much :D

Well that’s what I tell him, he has a few other mopeds, an import Suzuki gamma 50 for one, and a rg250, plus a few others, but his older brother has more than 100 bikes

Back
Top Bottom