Love my Africa Twin... but... BMW GSA is better

I agree with you on the stupid tube wheels and just barely adequate range Warlord. I already had a front flat for no apparent cause, only thing I could see was the tube was chafed through by slight roughness from a spot inside of the tyre. What a PIA.
The other gripe I have is the crazy cost (or time) involved to check valve clearance every 12k! “Come on Honda, you think your car owners would tolerate spending $500 every 12,000 miles”?

I covered my tubes in talcum baby powder... its adds lubrication and stops chafing. do it outside though as it stinks like a nursery :D

Valve check is at 16k miles here...many owners are saying that if it is right/set right at 16k and the bike runs fine, they won't be getting it done at 32k. I have the outex type kit and tubeless on mine and carry a tubeless repair kit. Way easier than tubes...and I won't be bouncing it up hill and down dale off road.

Wish Honda used talcum powder originally.
The replacement tube I used was heavier duty (all I could find) so hopefully it’ll hold up longer. I’ll use powder when I change tyres now on.

I’m pretty sure my manual calls for inspections every 12k and the ones I’ve heard of doing it said theirs needed adjusted and shimmed.

This is what you need: http://bikeseal.co.uk/shop/
We had a visit to my IAM group from the bloke who runs it. He's a biker and his presentation was impressive - especially when he put a 12mm chisel into a Range Rover tyre (for about the 200th time...) and the hole was plugged within about two rotations of the wheel. I've got this in my motorbike and push bikes and they do discount for IAM/BloodBikes etc.

This is what you need: http://bikeseal.co.uk/shop/
We had a visit to my IAM group from the bloke who runs it. He's a biker and his presentation was impressive - especially when he put a 12mm chisel into a Range Rover tyre (for about the 200th time...) and the hole was plugged within about two rotations of the wheel. I've got this in my motorbike and push bikes and they do discount for IAM/BloodBikes etc.
NOT SUITABLE FOR USE WITH TUBES. I don’t care what anyone says it’s not suitable for tubes. It’s dangerous. Do you see the mini pocket pump in the add? Buy a cheap pump in any of the discount stores £7-10 and break off the plastic outer. You then have a mini pocket pump. JJH

NOT SUITABLE FOR USE WITH TUBES. I don’t care what anyone says it’s not suitable for tubes. It’s dangerous.

I don't claim to be an expert, but would just point out that the FAQ says otherwise. Take or leave as one will
[Is Bike-Seal effective in both tubeless and tubed tyres?

Yes in both types. It is up to 95% effective in tubeless and 75% in tubed tyres.
]

NOT SUITABLE FOR USE WITH TUBES. I don’t care what anyone says it’s not suitable for tubes. It’s dangerous. Do you see the mini pocket pump in the add? Buy a cheap pump in any of the discount stores £7-10 and break off the plastic outer. You then have a mini pocket pump. JJH

I ran it in my tubed wheels when I had the AT. dont think i had a puncture but had no problems installing it or any other issues. 7000 miles From the website:
Is Bike-Seal effective in both tubeless and tubed tyres?
Yes in both types. It is up to 95% effective in tubeless and 75% in tubed tyres.

both are far too heavy and lardy for any proper off roading. Id say the GS range is better than the AT for what roads/touring I do.

Depends what you call proper off roading. The Africa twin is very capable if your a decent rider. Of course you won’t win enduros on it but it’s not designed for that.

I know I wouldn’t want a newish bmw out of warranty as I don’t trust the build quality.

The AT is far more stylish too :aidan

yes, it is the better looking bike. I think it looks great in the red and the blue white and red?

My first one was a black one which is probably my preferred colour but now have the red mainly due to it was the only choice when I jumped on the cheap John banks deal. It’s growing on me though and would take any colour.
I’ve put a black bagster tank cover on for both protection and a bit more blackness :D

My first one was a black one which is probably my preferred colour but now have the red mainly due to it was the only choice when I jumped on the cheap John banks deal. It’s growing on me though and would take any colour.
I’ve put a black bagster tank cover on for both protection and a bit more blackness :D

Black is best :)

Attachments

• 65CE1AF8-1A3E-4EAD-B64D-E4091B16CEB6.jpg
    65CE1AF8-1A3E-4EAD-B64D-E4091B16CEB6.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 371
Personally I’d be much more concerned about how you can possibly ride for 3 hours without noticing a flat front tyre. Especially on tubes - would’ve handled like a sack - unless the tyres themselves are tubeless, but even then it would’ve been obvious.

Tricolour every time.....(but the new blue is rather fetching). :thumb2

Attachments

• ED8DBFA0-CE87-4416-8228-6B590EFA0886.jpg
    ED8DBFA0-CE87-4416-8228-6B590EFA0886.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 371
  • A9C485D9-E224-4D52-8753-AC328A427945.jpg
    A9C485D9-E224-4D52-8753-AC328A427945.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 374
Personally I’d be much more concerned about how you can possibly ride for 3 hours without noticing a flat front tyre. Especially on tubes - would’ve handled like a sack - unless the tyres themselves are tubeless, but even then it would’ve been obvious.

You just stay concerned mate.... I'll carry on riding my bike, having fully explained the reason why, already.

75% effective 25%chance of a blowout. JJH

I hear you, and it's a valid comment.

But I've bought some tyre-seal for my tubed tyres as it may be a quick fix just to get me back into a village or get help. Especially if the weather is poor or the environment does'nt allow for an easy wheel removal/change

Back
Top Bottom