K1600 insurance - ouch

jimbo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I'm getting close to buying a k1600, I thought I'd better confirm insurance isn't a issue.
I was expecting I would just add it onto my policy for £50 :blast

3 brokers have refused to even quote for business use :eek:

Clearly insured a 16 is a lot more difficult than a GS.

Where are you in the UK?

BMW/Devitts should be able to quote if you have a clean record - Wapping, as a K16 kinda guy, may have some ideas.

Epsom Surrey - could be the Kingston post code? but its not been an issue before.
My record is clean, 10+year NCB and no claims or accidents. I will try Devitts - cheers

try a price comparison website ,the likes of go compare
I would try thebikeinsurer instead. I had quotes from the same insurer for £30 less compared to gocompare.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Jimbo, try Devitts as has been said, just recently insured my K1600 GTLE and St 1300 Pan, both for less than £400...….£47 cheaper than last year !

As I understand BMW Insurance appear slightly different than Devitts BMW...………...probably just in the next room !

Shinyface

Cheers all,
My search will continue over the next couple of days.
The current "issue" is that the couple of attempts on multibike have been rejected with 'no-quote' if I include business use (which I need).

If I don't go multi-bike, then I only have a single NCB. the K16 is £350 with my full NCB, but if I keep the the NCB on the GS it goes to £1500. I will try the opposite way around.

As I understand BMW Insurance appear slightly different than Devitts BMW...………...probably just in the next room !

Shinyface

They are probably in the same room, the way Call Centres work these days. A mates son works for VAG Financial - the incoming calls identify by the number dialled, so he can respond as any one of the various VAG family brands & his screen will have adapted accordingly,

The BMW deal may be a little more expensive, but a useful one stop shop if you need the bolt-on extras, say for continental touring..........http://www.bmwmotorradfinancialservices.co.uk/insurance.

Cheers all,
My search will continue over the next couple of days.
The current "issue" is that the couple of attempts on multibike have been rejected with 'no-quote' if I include business use (which I need).

If I don't go multi-bike, then I only have a single NCB. the K16 is £350 with my full NCB, but if I keep the the NCB on the GS it goes to £1500. I will try the opposite way around.

Have a go with Principle Insurance (brokers) but when I was with them and bought another bike, they shared the NCB, so when I left I actually had NCB on two bikes.

Jimbo, try Devitts as has been said, just recently insured my K1600 GTLE and St 1300 Pan, both for less than £400...….£47 cheaper than last year !

Shinyface

Devitts want £2200 for the 2 bikes with business use. I then called them as "BMW insurance" using the same telephone number. After checking with the management, they agreed they could quote as as 'BMW insurance' and came up with £966.

Principal didn't quote - the bloke said he stopped when it was over £1200 with just the K1600.

Carole Nash is the current winner with £744 for both bikes which is still over double my current GS policy.

Apparently many underwriters don't like bikes worth over £10k! I guess all the London Bike thefts have finally affected me!

Is there any price comparison web site with multi-bike capability?

i would also be keen to know this too,as i have two bikes ,as far as i know i have never found a price comparison website with an option to add bikes

Devitts want £2200 for the 2 bikes with business use. I then called them as "BMW insurance" using the same telephone number. After checking with the management, they agreed they could quote as as 'BMW insurance' and came up with £966.

Principal didn't quote - the bloke said he stopped when it was over £1200 with just the K1600.

Carole Nash is the current winner with £744 for both bikes which is still over double my current GS policy.

Apparently many underwriters don't like bikes worth over £10k! I guess all the London Bike thefts have finally affected me!

I'm surprised with Principle, I had a 29k Harley and a 18k BMW RT insured with them and it was about £400, but that was 3 years ago

Are you delivering or transporting something or just using to commute between sites?

"Perhaps" you are looking for the wrong type of insurance???

Great minds

Are you delivering or transporting something or just using to commute between sites?

"Perhaps" you are looking for the wrong type of insurance???

I was thinking about this as well, from what you have said so far, you appear to be commuting to work rather than using it for work (hell of a pizza delivery vehicle!). My standard multi-bike policy covers me for commuting?

Worth a look?

I was thinking about this as well, from what you have said so far, you appear to be commuting to work rather than using it for work (hell of a pizza delivery vehicle!). My standard multi-bike policy covers me for commuting?

Worth a look?

Alas, I ride to multiple sites of my employer and client sites. All the insurance companies tell me that's class I business.

I have a K1600GTLE valued at £13k, and Bizarrely enough I ended up on my own multi car policy with LV - but you have to call them to speak to them about it, it may be worth a call? But I don't live in London and didn't need business cover either.

James

I was insured with motorcycle direct on mine but each of the four bikes were on separate policies [and start dates] as they dont do multi-bike .On the positive side they did allow the NCB on all though they did have to refer it to the broker each time for a "bespoke" quote. As of last year they did ring up and query the total cost of the bikes it appears they are a bit cagey if the total in one garage is over £25K.

Back
Top Bottom