Helmet Cam

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone got any recommendations for an INEXPENSIVE helmet cam that takes adequate 1080p/30fps footage on a loop cycle? Sorted one for the car, and now want to sort one for the bike. Wouldn't be bothering if not for a few recent near misses (all caused by the dangerous or careless actions of others I hasten to add) which has woken me up to just how bad things have got on our roads, especially with so few traffic police visible these days to act as a deterrent.

Looked at loads of Chinese ones around the £40 mark...all seem much of a muchness. Not interested in forking out a fortune for GoPros or the like...just need a basic camera without wifi, with 2 hrs battery power (or can video whilst charging) that does what it claims and gives satisfactory footage....or is this a pipe dream at the budget end? Got a Nextbase dashcam for the car and that's very good but obviously no good for a bike. Helmet mount is fine.

Get an older GoPro. The new white one when it's on offer sometime or the older session.

I spent £400 nearly on my GoPro in 2014 and I still use it daily now. And it saved me one hell of an insurance claim 4 years ago.

You need something reliable and good value. Not something cheap which won't work.

I bought a Drift Ghost X from Moto Central, who give a discount. Really pleased with the footage, only use it on loop, bit more expensive than £40 but seems to be a good bit of kit. Good bunch to deal with as well

I prefer to permanently fit a unit with front and rear cameras which comes on with the ignition just like a car dashcam. Something like the following, though this is one of the more expensive models - I can't find the exact one I bought which cost less than this one, but has no display so has an app to display on your phone, which can be a bit fiddly. They do a lot of different models with differing features, but I previously had one with an HD front camera and VGA rear, but the video from the rear camera was so poor it wasn't worth having, so I would recommend HD front and rear. The DVR (recorder unit) can be locked away under the seat and the cameras are small and discreet and easily mounted, though I had to have the plastics off to route the front camera cable.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/X2-...56-49b6-8fe2-d90c3fb370d0&transAbTest=ae803_4

Thanks chaps. Will ponder some more. I'll up the budget I think as can't be had with messing about with stuff that won't work after a few weeks. Gitup looks good vfm, as does used gopro (seen iused ones for under £100 in the past so will have a scout around). Not really interested in fixed cameras as with a single helmet cam where you look is what you see so better coverage.

Having had an SJCam M10 for the last 4 years which only set me back £65 including all the fittings and weatherproof case, which has produced excellent 1080 films, I am now looking at their S6 Legend (see link below) and I can get a telescopic selfie stick + handlebar remote for it for £24 on Amazon.
Now I consider that fantastic value for money for excellent results when compared to GoPro and Drift Ghost cameras.

https://uk.gearbest.com/action-came...IBX9KTHXjDh-RvYJhsLaEIJQNhdu0gURoCfqsQAvD_BwE

Look at the innovv range. The C5 is ideal for you but is genuinely discrete and works.
Hard wired to the bike and discrete. Bit more cash but a good product. Used helmet came in the past but prefer a fixed camera system for capturing road incidents

Look at the innovv range. The C5 is ideal for you but is genuinely discrete and works.
Hard wired to the bike and discrete. Bit more cash but a good product. Used helmet came in the past but prefer a fixed camera system for capturing road incidents

Fixed cameras are good, but some of us have more than one bike and ride bikes for different pursuits such as blood biking, so helmet cam works better in those situations.

The reason I use the Git2 is it has the capibility to accept an external mic
The SJ are also excellent not sure about the external mic they didnt when I bought mine

Problem with older gopros is you will prob need to replace the batteries as over time they lose the capacity

Just got a Drift Ghost X, cost me around £116

It gets really good reviews online and the main reason I got it was battery life which is around 5 hours on the standard battery and 8 hours on the extended battery that’s available

There’s also bike mounts for it

Well so far the Drift Ghost looks favourite, closely followed by the Gitup Git2. Cheapest I've seen a Ghost from official UK retailers is £129 though. There seem to be lots (fakes?) from China at half that cost....not going there.

Anyone have any experience of the Innovv K2

it's pricey, but the blurb and reviews seem pretty good.....?

Back
Top Bottom