Overland R80GS

So, these silly HPN tanks look like this,so you can fit stuff to them, except virtually nobody does anything to fit :

9e966ffe1caa92c695196f321d4a4e07.jpg

Along comes knight in shining armour F750GS, aka John who recommends Gletter in Germany.

I give them a call and their English is worse than my German.

But John kindly helps out as he knows them and places an order for me then forwards it to me from the UK, all with me not paying him a penny until I see the kit and am happy.

What a top top bloke !!

Anyway, the bracket and tool bag finish the bike off nicely :

88e9a4efe12a5247eb75e28ad4118632.jpg

4d02d85c3d54b2dc6a80ea57b575051b.jpg

All I need now is for somebody to stop faffing around with a bit of Bully and other shite and get my bloody panniers finished for the beastie !!! :)

So John, (F750GS), thanks again. You are a bloody star !!!!

So, these silly HPN tanks look like this,so you can fit stuff to them, except virtually nobody does anything to fit :

9e966ffe1caa92c695196f321d4a4e07.jpg

Along comes knight in shining armour F750GS, aka John who recommends Gletter in Germany.

I give them a call and their English is worse than my German.

But John kindly helps out as he knows them and places an order for me then forwards it to me from the UK, all with me not paying him a penny until I see the kit and am happy.

What a top top bloke !!

Anyway, the bracket and tool bag finish the bike off nicely :

88e9a4efe12a5247eb75e28ad4118632.jpg

4d02d85c3d54b2dc6a80ea57b575051b.jpg

All I need now is for somebody to stop faffing around with a bit of Bully and other shite and get my bloody panniers finished for the beastie !!! :)

So John, (F750GS), thanks again. You are a bloody star !!!!

Looks great. it might not be so welcome in the event a coming to a sudden stop mind.... :eek:

You’re assuming someone would want to steal this carbuncle of a bike. :D

I know you don’t really mean it:D

I’m not a fan of the HPN tank but it is a great bike - would be even better if it went somewhere.

I’m not a fan of the HPN tank but it is a great bike - would be even better if it went somewhere.

Where would sir suggest ?

Not used it much as wanted to get the disc sorted.Still need to get the choke sorted and then it’ll get used a bit more.Might even take it on Bilco’s USA trip next year.

Of course not, but it’s funny winding Arsey up. :D

Ineptitude Alert.....
A while ago I fitted heated grips to the bike.
Unfortunately I fucked up slightly on the left grip and wanted to replace it at some point.
I’ve just done this today, BUT forgot to unplug the power to the grip before removing it.
I’ve shorted out the grip and have managed to cause the lights and front indicators to stop working !!
I’ve checked the three 7.5 amp fuses in the box on LHS of the battery. They all look ok apart from one, though the wire is still intact.
I haven’t got any spares at hand to try but is it likely to just be a fuse or have I done some other great deed of cockwombledom ?
Ta.

Can someone help a numpty with his R80GS ? :)
I took the missus on the back of my bike for the first time today.

53cdc0bcae3f1cb78708f5d298c97af1.jpg

I was slightly surprised when my left foot touched down around a gentle bend !! But the bike does feel a bit soft two-up.
I looked at the spring pre-load and it appeared to be set to 7 (out of 11), which is how it came from Mikeyboy.
My shock preload adjuster looks like this :

81b99a58c3afa0e0fabd432421480174.jpg

But looking in my Haynes manual , there is no mention of this shock and as my bike is a 1989, it should have this :

a0e91b2cbe029bd7143ebcde39b3917d.jpg

The nearest mention to mine is this :

10205148c7327ef272a97cedb8b749cb.jpg

So I’m assuming my shock is not original ?
I tried it two up set to 1 and then 11 and to be honest can notice bugger all difference.

Planning on using the bike in Brittany, two up with the panniers fitted so need to be able to up the pre-load to stiffen up the rear.

Mikeyboy, if you read this, did you refurbish the shock or anything else, from memory ?

Ta

That looks like a non standard shock, and I reckon your pic is of the damper adjustment. I think if to look at the the end of the shock up at the to, you’ll see a couple of threaded rings to adjust preload.

PM’d you, it looks like a very similar unit used on the Basic models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a non standard shock, and I reckon your pic is of the damper adjustment. I think if to look at the the end of the shock up at the to, you’ll see a couple of threaded rings to adjust preload.

That would make sense why twiddling that adjuster made fuck all difference !!!

PM’d you, it looks like a very similar unit used on the Basic models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And replied, ta

I borrowed a mate’s C spanners and adjusted the shock but need to get a couple of my own.
None of his four spanners fitted perfectly but managed to do the job.
Can someone recommend a C spanner that fits the WP adjuster ring well but fairly short as access is tight with the frame , especially when preload is wound off ?

Ta

Back
Top Bottom