Cottage near Kelso - advise

Especially looking for nice river, lake or seaside stops

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seaside? St Abb's Head or Eyemouth as an alternative fnc stop.

River / lake? Take a run to Selkirk and then on to St Mary's Loch. Lunch at the Tibbieshiels Inn, if open. If not, on to Moffat, plenty of places to eat there. Then head north to Tweedsmuir. Turn right there and head along Talla Reservoir and over the hill to Megget. That will take you back to the Selkirk road. Retrace your tracks to the Gordon Arms Hotel where you can turn left and head over the hills to Innerleithen. Turn right at Innerleithen and follow Tweed ( n.b. NEVER "the" Tweed!) back to Kelso.

Seaside? St Abb's Head or Eyemouth as an alternative fnc stop.

River / lake? Take a run to Selkirk and then on to St Mary's Loch. Lunch at the Tibbieshiels Inn, if open. If not, on to Moffat, plenty of places to eat there. Then head north to Tweedsmuir. Turn right there and head along Talla Reservoir and over the hill to Megget. That will take you back to the Selkirk road. Retrace your tracks to the Gordon Arms Hotel where you can turn left and head over the hills to Innerleithen. Turn right at Innerleithen and follow Tweed ( n.b. NEVER "the" Tweed!) back to Kelso.

Like the sound of this. I’ll check it out on the map

The road from Hawick to Newcastleton (or vice versa) is nice. Can’t remember the number. I think it’s a B road but most of it is decently tarmacced because it’s a road for logging trucks apparently. Quite scenic in parts and very twisty in parts.

The road from Newcastleton over the top to Langholm is also interesting. It’s concrete I think and single track in many places (with passing places). It’s not a classic biking road by any means, it’s just interesting because it’s unusual.

Thanks, the 1st road sounds good and the 2nd might be worth adding to a route if close by

Part of the route has been mentioned already but don't forget about the Kielder area - Kelso, Hawick, Newcastleton (good cafe called The Olive Tree), Saughtree, around the edge of Kielder Reservoir and Forest to Falstone (good cafe in the old school) then to Bellingham where there is a good choice of cafes including a very good one in some old railway carriages at the former station yard. From Bellingham you could return via a fast run north on the A68 taking in Carter Bar and Jedburgh as well as great views over Scotland and Northern England. A bloody good ride on well maintained and quiet roads but beware of speed cameras on the A68 once you're over the border. Not as many as there used to be but still a bit of a nuisance on roads which tempt you

This was a run a pal organised last summer - a good day out. It started and ended in Jedburgh - so we had coffee stop at Langholm and lunch in Moffat.

Attachments

• Reivers 2018.jpg
    Reivers 2018.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 231
Part of the route has been mentioned already but don't forget about the Kielder area - Kelso, Hawick, Newcastleton (good cafe called The Olive Tree), Saughtree, around the edge of Kielder Reservoir and Forest to Falstone (good cafe in the old school) then to Bellingham where there is a good choice of cafes including a very good one in some old railway carriages at the former station yard. From Bellingham you could return via a fast run north on the A68 taking in Carter Bar and Jedburgh as well as great views over Scotland and Northern England. A bloody good ride on well maintained and quiet roads but beware of speed cameras on the A68 once you're over the border. Not as many as there used to be but still a bit of a nuisance on roads which tempt you

Thanks for all that, I will try and add all the coffee stops

Speed cameras are always a headache when you don’t know an area

This was a run a pal organised last summer - a good day out. It started and ended in Jedburgh - so we had coffee stop at Langholm and lunch in Moffat.

That’s useful, easily converted to a route from our digs

Speed cameras are always a headache when you don’t know an area

Rather a lot of bike deaths in the borders last year - so I think there will be more speed cameras on the fast roads, and also more unmarked police bikes. I think the majority of deaths were at weekends, so I would expect higher presence then.

Rather a lot of bike deaths in the borders last year - so I think there will be more speed cameras on the fast roads, and also more unmarked police bikes. I think the majority of deaths were at weekends, so I would expect higher presence then.

Probably something to do with the good weather

I will try and control my throttle hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a trip out to Holy Island via the tidal causeway. Pub, beach, castle. :beerjug:

kelso.

If you want sea side them from Kelso its a short hop over to the Northumberland coast.
Bamburgh,Holy Island, Sea Houses and Alnwick are all worth a look.
As are Craster, Newton by the sea, Alnmouth and Alnwick.

Thanks Davey B and Paul that would be perfect to keep the wife happy!

Always a balance of good roads to ride for me and a few interesting places to keep the wife happy:rolleyes:

Another place worth a look is the Samye Ling Buddhist monastery on the B709 to Langholm.

Shortly after David Bowie died there was a piece on the radio about his life, apparently at one point he was going to join a Buddhist monastery in the Scottish borders....

Another place worth a look is the Samye Ling Buddhist monastery on the B709 to Langholm.

Shortly after David Bowie died there was a piece on the radio about his life, apparently at one point he was going to join a Buddhist monastery in the Scottish borders....

A mate of mine mentioned that place, I thought he was having a laugh..........

Not sure it’s my thing but the wife might like a look

Samye Ling

Definitely worth a visit.
A great ride to get to it and they do a good cup of coffee.

Keilder obviously for the road, The Farne Islands if you want to get off the bike for a while, Hermitage Castle, Cragside (National Trust), Holy Island and for pure scenic riding anything inland of the A1 is worth a punt.
Someone mentioned Beamish. Well worth a visit but give yourselves a full day to explore it.

Kelso ... have a run across to Moffatt and around St Marys Loch, or go across towards Duns then around by Lonformacus and Whiteadder reservoir towards the coast.

You have numerous castles in easy reach from Norham to Lindisfarne , Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh, Alnwick, Warkworth etc.

Your not far from the Scottish museum of Flight at East Fortune and if you go on certain days you can get access to the restoration hangar.

There are numerous excellent roads around the area down towards Kielder, Bellingham, Otterburn etc but FFS don't tell any shed draggers or wobble box drivers

Back
Top Bottom