Cheapo 1190 / 1290 ktm panniers wanted

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for cheap pair of ktm panniers, my metal ones are bit big for shorter trips, but not wanting to spend fortune on another set.

Would consider anything functional if price right.

Why don't you give Mark a call at Premier

I was in there last week and he was doing a deal with a customer on some NOS panniers (the 1190 bread bin style ones)

Worth a chat :thumb

Buy a pair of good quality soft panniers that can be adjusted to accommodate different loads. The bike will handle a lot better than it would with metal ones and they take up a lot less space when you’re not using them.

I use Wolfman throwovers and ok, they’re a bit of a faff to make them 100% secure with 2 wide and 2 narrow straps over the top then 4 small straps on each side but they don’t move, don’t leak and apparently they’re quite scuff resistant if you use them as bumpers against cars.

I use ones very similar to these and unless I want to leave the bike parked up with the luggage on overnight the hard panniers for my GS and my 1290 GT stay at home.

https://www.windingroads.co.uk/saddle-bags-panniers-uk/wolfman-expedition-dry-saddle-bags

Why don't you give Mark a call at Premier

I was in there last week and he was doing a deal with a customer on some NOS panniers (the 1190 bread bin style ones)

Worth a chat :thumb

Had that chat thanks.

I could still get a set of Holans for just a couple of hundred more and I think their 38/31L are about the same capacity as the KTM ones and even narrower at just 92cm, the 45/38 combo is only 100cm - a full 12cm narrower than my Givi (48/37) and less than the 104CM of the KTM ones on my 1090 - not sure how the bread bins compare, but suspect they are similar to the ones on the 1090?

Assuming I could sell my Givi's for a few hundred quid I would be much better off just buying the large Holans, still narrower than OEM panniers and almost same capacity as my Givi ones.

Only thing I would miss is the better fitting system, they clip on / off in seconds, I understand the Holans bolt through the inside which means water may be able to get in and it is probably a fiddle to get the inner bag in and out past the bolts.

Apduro panniers seem pretty good value if you want to stick with metal boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Buy a pair of good quality soft panniers that can be adjusted to accommodate different loads. The bike will handle a lot better than it would with metal ones and they take up a lot less space when you’re not using them.

I've switched from hard boxes on the GSA to soft bags on the KTM. Not quite as slick in operation at hotels, but 12Kg lighter and significantly narrower.

There the ones i was looking for; and a great price; the difference soft bags makes to to filtering and manoeuvring is massive. Having always used throw overs on the ZZR for years. And now using hard luggage; the soft stuff wins every time for me.:beerjug:

...and a great price; the difference soft bags makes to to filtering and manoeuvring is massive.

I plan to get some when I get rid of my alloy boxes. A mate uses them and thinks they're great. Given the price, what's not to like.

Still not found any used metal panniers, prefer another set of Holan or smaller Bumot, otherwise will just have to swap rails over from Holan to Givi - probably only 30 minutes work once a year.

I have a 50L Oxford Rollbag which is pretty decent and got a set of Oxford soft luggage with my DRZ400 (tail bag and 2 panniers) which also looks quite decent, but I like hard luggage, just pull out inner bag and off you go, rather than carting shitty filthy soft luggage into your Hotel room after a days riding in the wet.

A shame Givi never bothered to package the Outbacks a lot better as they are really nice apart from width, which they could of reduced with a little bit of effort, like for like sizes I think the Holans are about 10cm narrower, also Givi only offer 48 / 37L, a 37 / 31 combo would instantly save a couple of inches each side.

Back
Top Bottom