BMW GSA LC Tyre choice????????

jamie todd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good morning guys, happy new year to you all

I have recently bought a BMW GSA LC, absolutely love it, the bike is now due for a new set of tyres, currently fitted with Michelin anakee 3 tyres, I do about 70% road use and 30% offroad/gravel tracks.
What is your thoughts on good tyre choice?
I had the Michelin anakee wilds on my 2011 gsa and they were good for offroad stuff but brutal on the tarmac.

Cheers

If you’re sticking on the road Michelin PR4 or 5 are really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m toying with this at the moment. Will be doing a few trails soon. On my previous 1190 adventure I ran TKC80s, they were good but the rears wore very fast.

On my F800GS just departed I ran Michelin Anakee Wild. These were good in the dirt but quite scary on wet roads.

I’d be interested to hear what people use on the GS1200 as well?

Happy with that, I too have just changed to a GSA, from a GTR1400, had the Pirelli angel GT on that bike, they were ace, but don’t seem to do the size for the beemer, so was looking at Michelin road 5, glad you’ve recommended those, thanks they do get a great write up��

Good morning guys, happy new year to you all

I have recently bought a BMW GSA LC, absolutely love it, the bike is now due for a new set of tyres, currently fitted with Michelin anakee 3 tyres, I do about 70% road use and 30% offroad/gravel tracks.
What is your thoughts on good tyre choice?
I had the Michelin anakee wilds on my 2011 gsa and they were good for offroad stuff but brutal on the tarmac.

Cheers

I'm intrigued as to where you're doing 30% gravel. I guess that's not round here. For what you're proposing to do - Continental TKC 70, maybe...?

Dunlop Trailsmart Max , sticky in the wet or dry , quiet and after a 3500 mile tour the rear still has 6.2 mm, when in for service technician commented that of all the GSA LC's he had ridden it was the tyre that felt the nicest and suited the bike the best

I'm intrigued as to where you're doing 30% gravel. I guess that's not round here. For what you're proposing to do - Continental TKC 70, maybe...?

Plenty of gravel tracks in and around fife to explore, also glencoe/highlands area good for it. I done a fair bit off roading with the last gsa, not had a chance to try the new one off road yet.

My 2018 rally came with Anakee tyres ,tried to sell them on here with 50 miles on them, no one was interested so kept them on, i have find them ok for the wet and dry very planted because i have worm then in to how i ride,,don't mind noisy because i wear ear plugs,But i am going to go back to to these when others have worn out or squared off. i have had good fun on these Pirelli tyres on mountain roads

https://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/...-carried-out-by-the-german-magazine-motorrad/

Dave :thumby:

Plenty of gravel tracks in and around fife to explore, also glencoe/highlands area good for it. I done a fair bit off roading with the last gsa, not had a chance to try the new one off road yet.

I'm sure that's right Jamie. Just so long as you know it's not legal to ride on them.

I'm sure that's right Jamie. Just so long as you know it's not legal to ride on them.

I have permission to ride from Kinnloch Rannoch, over into Curour estate, have food at the most remote train station I know of then continue my way over the estate to the Laggan road, other routes I admit I have no permission for but I hav done these for years and had no issues from anyone.

K60 Scouts are available in 120&170 Respectively.

The centre band on the rear ensures good life but the blocks on the side give good grip in gravel.

Personally I liked the K60 scout a lot and I never had any of the troubles that some claim with white lines etc.

If you really let the pressures down (they have stiff side walls, they will manage a bit of mud with care.

I've not used them personally but Mitas E07 are a reasonable choice.

I tried the Avon Trailriders after my last set of PR4's, really impressed with them, good in dry and wet. I've only been down a gravel track with them a couple of times but no complaints so far.

I really like Mitas E07's. Sgt.Bilco recommended them and I'm now on my 3rd rear which is the newer E07+
Got around 10,000 miles out of each.
Bike is a 2005 1200 GS btw.
Been on two 5000ish mile tours, 2up and well loaded up.
Grip in the dry is excellent and I've had no issues in the wet either, but I do make allowances in riding style of course.
Off road they are good enough at most stuff except mud as they pack up.
They are also cheaper than alternatives, and I wouldn't bother with Dakar versions carcase either.
Pic is of last one I removed.
3dc8162685626569ae69575d0a965347.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom