Damn, this is pretty!

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was early for a meeting in Guildford last week so dropped into Vines - my first visit to a dealer for a couple of years.

This Racer was for sale - man, what a beautiful bike.

10 miles in the clock and priced at £8,150 - seems like a bargain. The only disappointment came when I sat on it and tried to lift my feet onto the pegs... Ow! If only my hips were 10 years younger... :D:D

If you have one and you're young enough to 'fit' it, it must be a real pleasure. Surely these will become future classics.

Attachments

• IMG_1204 (002).jpg
    IMG_1204 (002).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,374
  • IMG_1206 (002).jpg
    IMG_1206 (002).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,359
Or - pick one up with 500-700 miles on it, for almost £1000 less.

A young racer could perhaps get it to go fast, but I reckon for the majority of us, the riding position would kill us and we would be slow on the bends due to the head down, prone position - screwing with our confidence.

Expect your neck to ache too.

If someone made a successful and aethsetically-pleasing bar riser kit - then it may gain popularity, but it wouldn’t surprise me if some got broken up for spares.

I'm gobsmacked just how cheap that is.............

IMO they are easily the best lookers of the R9T family :)

Is the riding position really that bad as it looks reasonable(ish) from the pictures?

Andres

You can pay around £7,000 for one with less than a thousand miles on it. No-one appears to keep them - wonder why????

I'm gobsmacked just how cheap that is.............

IMO they are easily the best lookers of the R9T family :)

Is the riding position really that bad as it looks reasonable(ish) from the pictures?

Andres

You're correct, it's not that extreme, the discomfort was more to do with the design of me, than the bike...:D:beer:

Most 9t owners deciding to keep the bike long term do the mods as in post 43 New Shock !!!!!

I reckon you'd start out with the idea: "Great for a day out" and would quickly/eventually (depending on pain levels) - relegate it to a morning/afternoon OR evening..................

Before you kept it polished in the hallway or conservatory - as an object d'art.

I remember the first one i saw ( when mine was in for a service) And i thought how lovely it was.

I even had a little sit on it and continued to think that i could quite fancy one in my life

Then I rode the scrambler version and could not believe how bloody un comfortable that was and rapidly realised the racer would be worse

I remember the first one i saw ( when mine was in for a service) And i thought how lovely it was.

I even had a little sit on it and continued to think that i could quite fancy one in my life

Then I rode the scrambler version and could not believe how bloody un comfortable that was and rapidly realised the racer would be worse
I’ve never ridden a Racer but I’ve ridden thousands of touring miles on my Scrambler and Original R nine T before that and find them perfectly comfortable. I guess we are all different.

They are indeed lovely looking things but I sat on one at a show and it was about as comfortable as being stabbed :eek:

If you’re tosser shaped go for the turban, or even better, forget it and buy a Triumph :D

The Urban was the most uncomfortable bike I’ve ever owned .
I rode a Racer and the stretch to the bars was ridiculous, and I’m 6’1". No wonder they’ve only sold 6 !

I love the looks but couldn’t live with the riding position. What I don’t 7nderstand is why BMW didn’t make the fairing transferable. I’d put on on my sport (if I’d won the Euro lottery) but I’d have to weld a bracket to the steering head. Pity

The Urban was the most uncomfortable bike I’ve ever owned .
I rode a Racer and the stretch to the bars was ridiculous, and I’m 6’1". No wonder they’ve only sold 6 !

Why did you buy one then, you muppet? :blast

I knew it was uncomfortable after ten minutes on the thing.

The racer needs a 6’ tall riders arms, and a 5’ tall riders legs......... plus an arse thats used to taking a pounding....

I share the general views above! I would love one as they are lovely to look at, but why oh why didn't BMW make it super easy to make these things comfortable? It clearly needs a comfort seat, higher bars and (from what people are saying) better suspension. It would still have the pretty / retro look if you were sitting more upright and on a comfy seat. When I rode the Urban and the original RNT, the first thing I noticed was how low / small they are compared to the first generation GSs. Surely, it would have been better to create the RNT and other variants using the same frame / proportions as the outgoing 2012 GSs??? Surely? They could then be offering a back to basics / old school / retro version and the latest LC versions with all the tech. Market for both.

The racer needs a 6’ tall riders arms, and a 5’ tall riders legs......... plus an arse thats used to taking a pounding....

If only BMW had thought to fit it with TKC80's then they'd have a sales hit in the rainforests of Borneo and Sumatra !

Interesting reading the comments above. I’ve had mine for coming up to 12 months and I bought it cos I love the looks and fancied something completely different. Whilst I don’t think I could live with it as a one and only, I love mine and it’s an absolute riot to ride. Something about it always makes me feel like I’m riding a lot faster than I actually am.

Don’t find it uncomfortable either. At 6’1”, it fits me just fine.

The seat is a bit on the hard side but I have no issue with the suspension. That said, I’m not a good enough rider to exploit superior suspension anyway. I have no chicken strips left on either side of the rear tyre though. The only thing I want to change is the pig ugly silencer for a twin BOS, high level under seat set up:

https://piercitycustom.com/collections/exhausts/products/bos-bmw-r9t-double-underseat-exhaust

Picked mine up brand new from Vines in Guildford and had £3k off because of surplus stock.

Back
Top Bottom