‘Base’ GSA1250; madness?

I’ve spent a few hours on ESA bikes. I’ll usually try out the various modes, then stick it on ‘Road’ and get on with riding it. Difficult to compare with mine without riding them back to back, especially as it’s still settling in, but I’m happy with the ride quality which is the key point.

It’s your choice but I’d try a good aftermarket solution before the p/ex option. Good damping can transform a bike (or car), if you don’t like if take it off and sell it - you should get 60% of your money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe decent / high quality aftermarket suspension all in (fitting etc etc) would probably be north of £2000 (at least) with a completely unknown outcome and possibly not as nice as ESA. I'm not one for selling stuff on ebay and all that jazz, so it's either live with it or part ex it. Good to hear you are enjoying yours. Given that you're in Sussex and I am in Surrey, maybe we should meet at Chandlers / Vines / Bahnstormer some time and try eachother's bikes. Maybe there's a fault with mine if you are totally happy with yours?

I believe decent / high quality aftermarket suspension all in (fitting etc etc) would probably be north of £2000 (at least) with a completely unknown outcome and possibly not as nice as ESA. I'm not one for selling stuff on ebay and all that jazz, so it's either live with it or part ex it. Good to hear you are enjoying yours. Given that you're in Sussex and I am in Surrey, maybe we should meet at Chandlers / Vines / Bahnstormer some time and try eachother's bikes. Maybe there's a fault with mine if you are totally happy with yours?

The completely unknown outcome is your fear
I will say that a decent Ohlins or Wilbers set up will be far better than ESA
Are you too lazy to manually adjust a few knobs?
Riding the same bit of road a few times and dialling in (adjusting ) your suspension can be fun and rewarding
Is it the fear of not knowing what you are doing ? If so ask the supplier to show you what knob does what and why
Only had one ESA GS and the suspension was crap compared to my infinitely adjustable Ohlins equipped GS Adv
Soon as I get a new to me used bike I start adjusting the knobs and the setting up the suspension - takes a few mins and yields results immediately
Forget Hilltop
Forget expensive cans
Forget decat headers

Power is nothing if you can't get it down on the tarmac

Ever wondered why bike racers spend money and time on their suspension to shave seconds off their lap times??

They're not using ESA either

The completely unknown outcome is your fear
I will say that a decent Ohlins or Wilbers set up will be far better than ESA
Are you too lazy to manually adjust a few knobs?
Riding the same bit of road a few times and dialling in (adjusting ) your suspension can be fun and rewarding
Is it the fear of not knowing what you are doing ? If so ask the supplier to show you what knob does what and why
Only had one ESA GS and the suspension was crap compared to my infinitely adjustable Ohlins equipped GS Adv
Soon as I get a new to me used bike I start adjusting the knobs and the setting up the suspension - takes a few mins and yields results immediately
Forget Hilltop
Forget expensive cans
Forget decat headers

Power is nothing if you can't get it down on the tarmac

Ever wondered why bike racers spend money and time on their suspension to shave seconds off their lap times??

They're not using ESA either

I sort of agree , but the GS is not on the track so dialing in a bike on a particular section of road does have its benefits , but not ideal , shaving off time on a track with settings is okay but track ideal but not on the road.
The idea of the ESA system ( as with the new 1250) is that the internals constantly adjusts the settings as you ride so the bike behaves as well as it can as per the road you currently follow (the unknown) .
The best would be to but the TT version which is tailored to your weight more but also has the benefits of the adjustment . This system is far the most advanced and would out perform the manual system all day long as it monitors all that the bike is doing at the time of travel , not predetermined as per base settings on a manual system.
Its expensive , but worth the cost as its the top of the range plug and play electronic suspension . Some will say its for off road mainly , well you can order from the factory with only road preferences in mind.
Again its shy of 3k but as you point out , suspension is your key to faster riding and a more confident feel to your bike. Once you do that you can farkle it up as much as you wish.
Track riders know how to set a bike as they will have settings for all tracks and they will all be different , so one setting will not suit all situations , good but not as good as the ESA ( upgrade) system , and to be honest the standard ESA on the 1250 is bloody good, im upgrading because 1. I can and 2. I feel that it would make the bike more personal for me and would suit my riding style.
IMHO of course and wish not to offend.

Sure. PM me.

I thought it must have been :D They haven’t added too much on to the price have they, have you got your new bike yet?

I’ve now run the bike on its standard non-ESA suspension for nearly 3000 miles since taking delivery at the end of May. Some of that is one up, some 2up and loaded on a continental tour. I added 30 turns of pre- load as per the manual for the latter.
As the miles have gone by and everything has become nicely bedded in I’ve been extremely impressed by the ride and road holding. It has a magic carpet ride over our usual crap UK road surfaces yet doesn’t float or lose composure when pushing on. The motor is also loosening up nicely, giving 55mpg in normal use, and a big top end punch that I certainly don’t recognise from my old oil cooled 1200.
The only slight issue is with gearbox, which while easy on the toe most of the time occasionally sticks in 2nd while going up the box, and neutral can be difficult to find.
All in all I’m delighted and looking forward to many thousand more miles.

I’ve now run the bike on its standard non-ESA suspension for nearly 3000 miles since taking delivery at the end of May. Some of that is one up, some 2up and loaded on a continental tour. I added 30 turns of pre- load as per the manual for the latter.
As the miles have gone by and everything has become nicely bedded in I’ve been extremely impressed by the ride and road holding. It has a magic carpet ride over our usual crap UK road surfaces yet doesn’t float or lose composure when pushing on. The motor is also loosening up nicely, giving 55mpg in normal use, and a big top end punch that I certainly don’t recognise from my old oil cooled 1200.
The only slight issue is with gearbox, which while easy on the toe most of the time occasionally sticks in 2nd while going up the box, and neutral can be difficult to find.
All in all I’m delighted and looking forward to many thousand more miles.

Have you adjusted the damping knob at the bottom of the shock? I think your earlier post said you had not, as no instructions in the Rider Manual?

It is in the manual supplied with my GS LC Basic.
Clockwise to increase damping, a/c to decrease
Basic setting:
Turn adjuster screw clockwise as far as it will go (Max Damping)
Back off 8 clicks (Full fuel load, 95kg rider)

Just had my 30k miles shock refurbished (inspection, new seals, oil & regas) Set at 5 clicks back as I weigh a "bit" more than a 95kg rider. Bike transformed, admittedly the shock oil was tired, & on max damping

Pleased I went for the basic, bought s/h with 11k, now done 31k

Back
Top Bottom