R1200GSA upgrade to Ohlins or Wlbers ESA

Stupid Pre-Load adjuster is on a twisted bracket. God knows where it's supposed to actually go, but I've spent 40 minutes moving it around from left hand side and right hand side and back again, and again.

I can't figure it out. So it'll have to live here. :nenau

It makes sense only because the adjuster knob is at the top and you can clearly see which way to rotate it...

Attachments

• PreLoad1.jpg
    PreLoad1.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 397
  • PreLoad2.jpg
    PreLoad2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 437
  • Preload3.jpg
    Preload3.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 394
Anyways, got that pissed off with BMW and my rotting shaft, I chose not to send a rude message to them..... but I wrote a message to the next owner of my R1200 painted and protected shaft drive, so it'll be a pleasure for them to find it :D

Dont worry be happy Warlord '19 :p

.... and yes, it's gone back into the bike like that :D

Attachments

• Dont Worry 1.jpg
    Dont Worry 1.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 439
Stupid Pre-Load adjuster is on a twisted bracket. God knows where it's supposed to actually go, but I've spent 40 minutes moving it around from left hand side and right hand side and back again, and again.

I can't figure it out. So it'll have to live here. :nenau

It makes sense only because the adjuster knob is at the top and you can clearly see which way to rotate it...

Try this mate

Thanks Shaun, unfortunately I can't fit it there as it's between the foot peg mounts. I already have a Givi Luggage mount plate there, so can't fit anything in that position.

Thanks Shaun, unfortunately I can't fit it there as it's between the foot peg mounts. I already have a Givi Luggage mount plate there, so can't fit anything in that position.

Ok but surely where it is at the moment on the outside, it will rub on your leg, can you not get it inside, and also without it banging on something when suspension is working, just flip it around maybe.

Ok but surely where it is at the moment on the outside, it will rub on your leg, can you not get it inside, and also without it banging on something when suspension is working, just flip it around maybe.

Hi Shaun,

I've just gone down to the garage again and had another look with your suggestion.

You are right, I've managed to sort it out. I'm getting tired now as been on it all day pretty much, but thank you for a fresh pair of eyes. It's like you're here :D :D :D

Attachments

• PreLoad4.jpg
    PreLoad4.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 386
  • PreLoad5.jpg
    PreLoad5.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 390
  • PreLoad6.jpg
    PreLoad6.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 386
  • PreLoad7.jpg
    PreLoad7.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 374
Hi Shaun,

I've just gone down to the garage again and had another look with your suggestion.

You are right, I've managed to sort it out. I'm getting tired now as been on it all day pretty much, but thank you for a fresh pair of eyes. It's like you're here :D :D :D

Looking better now, its always the same when you have been at it all day, when I get in that mode, I down tools as cannot think straight, next day is always a day of revelations....:beerjug:

Well.... after completely rebuilding my bike, and fitting Hyperpro Steering Damper and Ohlins TTX Shocks and a full valve and cam alignment with shaft refit... I went on a 150 mile ride today.

GOOD NEWS

My bike didn't fall apart and the shaft didn't explode. In fact was rather proud of myself to be honest.

BAD NEWS

Ohlins are shit. Fitted out of the box supposedly set up for my weight, as detailed to the people at FTR Suspension. So I did nothing else but fit them. Bike was hard, front end skitting over bumps, back end to soft causing it to buck into corners. Like a bag of shit.

So it'll need setting up from scratch.

Hyperpro Steering Damper is shit. Even on 12 clicks in, wasn't enough to stop the front end fidgeting and weaving at times. Like a bag of shit.

So that's £2500 spunked over a worse handling bike than when I started :D

Time to whack it with my measuring stick !!

Well.... after completely rebuilding my bike, and fitting Hyperpro Steering Damper and Ohlins TTX Shocks and a full valve and cam alignment with shaft refit... I went on a 150 mile ride today.

GOOD NEWS

My bike didn't fall apart and the shaft didn't explode. In fact was rather proud of myself to be honest.

BAD NEWS

Ohlins are shit. Fitted out of the box supposedly set up for my weight, as detailed to the people at FTR Suspension. So I did nothing else but fit them. Bike was hard, front end skitting over bumps, back end to soft causing it to buck into corners. Like a bag of shit.

So it'll need setting up from scratch.

Hyperpro Steering Damper is shit. Even on 12 clicks in, wasn't enough to stop the front end fidgeting and weaving at times. Like a bag of shit.

So that's £2500 spunked over a worse handling bike than when I started :D

Time to whack it with my measuring stick !!

I just fitted Ohlins TTX and had it set up as recommended in the manual. Felt exactly as you found, too hard and really skittish. I tried increasing it by couple of clicks both ends - still no good. Decided to soften it.

It’s now on Front 14 clicks out on compression & 18 out on rebound. Rear 13 compression & 15 rebound. Bike transformed. Now comfy but controlled. Feels like a different bike. That’s why I bought proper suspension. You decide how you want it to be. Just a few clicks makes a big difference.

Like Happy has said, it needs to be set up for your riding style, and the type of roads you mostly use. Have a tinker with the settings and you will find perfection........:beerjug:

beaver to the batphone, bet after a bit of beaver tweaking...:D it will be sorted.

I just fitted Ohlins TTX and had it set up as recommended in the manual. Felt exactly as you found, too hard and really skittish. I tried increasing it by couple of clicks both ends - still no good. Decided to soften it.

It’s now on Front 14 clicks out on compression & 18 out on rebound. Rear 13 compression & 15 rebound. Bike transformed. Now comfy but controlled. Feels like a different bike. That’s why I bought proper suspension. You decide how you want it to be. Just a few clicks makes a big difference.

Well well well...... fookin transformed. The bike is now a BEAST :bow

Spent an hour in the garage tuning up these Ohlins and Hyperpro dampers.... and took it on a FAST 60 mile test ride this evening. Just got home.

Hyperpro CSC Steering Damper..... was on 10 clicks. New setting 17 clicks. Much much better.

Ohlins.... here's the big difference.

Rear Pre-Load was on 14 clicks. Which is way too soft. I reset this to 10 clicks and now have correct Static and Rider Sag. Front shock was on correct sag (which is great as I don't have to mess with it).

Front Shock = Decreased Compression to 14 Clicks. Rebound to 22 Clicks
Rear Shock = Decreased Compression to 14 Clicks. Rebound to 16 Clicks

I'm 95KG Rider weight, plus a constant luggage on pillion seat of 12.5KG

Bike turns in on a knife edge, very accurate and precise steering, takes up massive bumps and holds it's line, took some huge abuse, heavy braking under control.... really was ace.

Well well well...... fookin transformed. The bike is now a BEAST :bow

Spent an hour in the garage tuning up these Ohlins and Hyperpro dampers.... and took it on a FAST 60 mile test ride this evening. Just got home.

Hyperpro CSC Steering Damper..... was on 10 clicks. New setting 17 clicks. Much much better.

Ohlins.... here's the big difference.

Rear Pre-Load was on 14 clicks. Which is way too soft. I reset this to 10 clicks and now have correct Static and Rider Sag. Front shock was on correct sag (which is great as I don't have to mess with it).

Front Shock = Decreased Compression to 14 Clicks. Rebound to 22 Clicks
Rear Shock = Decreased Compression to 14 Clicks. Rebound to 16 Clicks

I'm 95KG Rider weight, plus a constant luggage on pillion seat of 12.5KG

Bike turns in on a knife edge, very accurate and precise steering, takes up massive bumps and holds it's line, took some huge abuse, heavy braking under control.... really was ace.

Perfect, next job get a pillion rider on the bike, and adjust for riding with pillion and luggage, for the incase scenario, write it down for later, save messing around twice, glad you are happy.....:clap:clap

I might try your settings as they're not a million miles out.

What weight are you??

Perfect, next job get a pillion rider on the bike, and adjust for riding with pillion and luggage, for the incase scenario, write it down for later, save messing around twice, glad you are happy.....:clap:clap

Well, I'll do that next month as I'm on tour for a long weekend. So it'll have to be done then.

In the meantime, jump aboard for a pillion ride with Ohlins TTX, just warming the tyres up apparently (no idea who the rider was...) :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AyO4x-M3pow" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, I'll do that next month as I'm on tour for a long weekend. So it'll have to be done then.

In the meantime, jump aboard for a pillion ride with Ohlins TTX, just warming the tyres up apparently (no idea who the rider was...) :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AyO4x-M3pow" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is that the brum version of Route 66 looks very straight...........:D

Oh... forgot to say....

Those ESA Blanking Plugs have worked a charm. No warning lights on Dashboard

Back
Top Bottom