Visiting for the second time.

Packer

Appreciating Scotland
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Arriving 10th May this year and getting the ferry back home to Scotland on the 19th May.

Wifie isn't invited on the bike so we'll be in her MX5 doing an anti-clockwise tour around Ireland but excluding Dublin which we have been to before.

Wifie doesn't do camping so we have booked accomodation up to the 16th for now starting at Carrickfergus for night one and travelling anticlockwise around the north to Derry, meander south for two nights at Ballina, then on to Galway and then another two nights in Cork.

Should we take time to travel back up through the middle of the country? We so far only have the afternoon in Belfast as we disemabrk the ferry at around 13:45. If here is a lot to see in the city we stay here the last night too.

Suggestions for places of interest, astounding views, not to be missed pubs/restauants, events on when we are there would all be most welcome.

I had a look at Tuned's thread but it is mostly riding road orientated and not much posted there recently. Some of those roads will be driven and it's pretty good fun thrashing a poor little MX5 within an inch of it's life. In May we might even have the hood down if the weather Gods are merciful.

Middle of the country has lovely lakes. The midlands is often overlooked in favor of the west coast. It’s all lovely. Have a lovely time.

First night in Carrickfergus - eh , hmmm ... interesting decision.

like Indian food ? - Then take yourself for a treat in the "Mayur" - right opposite the castle , big red sign , you won't miss it.
Recently voted best Indian in N. Ireland , and I would have to agree with the decision (careful - hot is hot !!)

If I was not at a wedding in Brazil a few days before hand ... would offer to join you (suspect I will not be home by then) ... any excuse.

The north west 200 is on that week. Take the coast road from carrickfergus up to Portrush and soak in the atmosphere. Accommodation will be expensive that week but it is worth a look around the track. The practice is on Tuesday and Thursday if you have time to take it in.

When heading towards Galway, Westport is a good stopover and the surrounding area is lovely. My favourite house is on the road from Westport to louisburgh.
100f1dcf5ca59544cd29b2f7dddbd523.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And Belfast is buzzing at the minute. Titianic Exhibition is worth a look and the cathedral quarter is great at night. And a hotel room is available from £50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks.

Carrickfergus came about because we get off the ferry in Belfast early afternoon and wanted to have time to look about so wanted to overnight nearby. Having never been to the area we just stuck a pin in the electronic map and found a place with a castle. :-D

We'll be going to Waterford, just don't know if we'll overnight there as yet but Hanora's looks good. Certainly now wanting to spend a bit of time in the centre of the country, maybe a bit off the usual tourist trail!

Back
Top Bottom