Route ideas for a French Loop?

Apologies to Sgt Bilco and the thread hijack but I've pretty much nicked your suggestion could you recommend a route/routes between the Gorge du Verdon and les vignes on the Gorge du tarn? I've got it @ around 7 hours and 230 miles with the final run up the D998 which looks a good road but then they all do!

thanks

I’ve done this route a few times,if its any use.

If you're skirting Switzerland try the N5 to Morez then the 1005 to Gex, stop on one of the hairpins and admire the view of the lake. Then Aix-les-Bains, Grenoble etc.

Personally I would forgo the west coast and head south down the RDGA, then up the RN. Have a couple of nights in Castellane and do a loop out around the Gorge du Verdon and even across to the Gorge du Tarn/Millau then continue north up the RN before breaking left and heading up through Die and over the Col du Rousset to then ride through the Col de La Machine/Combe Laval then north and home.

That would be my choice,
but head to Le Puy en Velay first stop , then down via Mende to Millau through the tarn gorges, across to Manosque then have at least a full day around the GDV ,both sides of the gorge roads lead to Comps sur Artuby there are some nice roads south of there to Draguinion,

Personally I would forgo the west coast and head south down the RDGA, then up the RN. Have a couple of nights in Castellane and do a loop out around the Gorge du Verdon and even across to the Gorge du Tarn/Millau then continue north up the RN before breaking left and heading up through Die and over the Col du Rousset to then ride through the Col de La Machine/Combe Laval then north and home.

Similar to my trip last year, we did Morvan National Park, Vallon Pont d'Arc, Gorge du Verdon and then picked up RDGA up the Cayolle to Barcelonnette, extra day at Barcelonnette to loop over La Bonnette and back around Sampeyre, then carry on up RDGA, through the Doubs, quick bat across part of the Vosges, into Luxembourg and home via Ardennes.

I’ve done this route a few times,if its any use.
Originally Posted by Arthurmo View Post

Apologies to Sgt Bilco and the thread hijack but I've pretty much nicked your suggestion could you recommend a route/routes between the Gorge du Verdon and les vignes on the Gorge du tarn? I've got it @ around 7 hours and 230 miles with the final run up the D998 which looks a good road but then they all do!

thanks

I would be tempted to try and include Mount Venoux in this route , especially if you had not done it before.

Stayed in Les Vignes, you are aware there is very very little there ?

Thanks Alpinerider I’ll take a look at Mount Venoux. I was looking at staying in Les vignes to go kayaking down the gorge so wanted a full day for that.

For that time period I would not consider a circuit of France. I tour with a group for a similar period each June. We like to ride to a base in the middle of the trip. Spend 3 or 4 nights in the same base then do circular tours. I often plan 250 miles but it sometimes ends up a smaller radius circuit due to some distraction, weather, ailment or laziness.

I have used Grenoble as a base twice, with a 20 year gap. Other good bases have been Beaune, Avignon, La Bourboule, Rocamadour, Meyrueis, Blois, Dousard, Saint Claude, Kaysersberg. Each has enough in the area to keep you busy for a week, let alone 3 or 4 days.

Thanks old son and I'll have a look.

Things have moved on a little as madam wants a day or two on the beach. I have friends whi live on the coast near Monpellier so will be calling in there for a couple of days. Might push this trip out to a couple of weeks.

Thanks old son and I'll have a look.

Things have moved on a little as madam wants a day or two on the beach. I have friends whi live on the coast near Monpellier so will be calling in there for a couple of days. Might push this trip out to a couple of weeks.

Montpellier has some of the best roads & scenery in France to the north in the Ardeche, Cevennes, Tarn, Auvergne & Volcanes.

Leave madam on the beach and go for some lovely rides

Montpelier is quite a nice city, Palavas les Flottes is no longer the little fishing port it was but pleasant enough out of peak season. Roads up towards Millau are worth exploring.

You can lap France easily in 10 days, leaving four days spare for ‘doing stuff’. Even the remaining 10 days needn’t necessarily all involve riding the bike miles upon miles or even at all.

You can lap France easily in 10 days, leaving four days spare for ‘doing stuff’. Even the remaining 10 days needn’t necessarily all involve riding the bike miles upon miles or even at all.

Yep, some of the routes I've glanced at on Ride for instance have relatively low mileages and we are happy to do be doing more than that. Unfortunately, it won't be a leisurely trip as she can't get more than a week off in July so it's definitely a maximum 9 day trip. There will be a couple of longish days to make up some time.

I've been told as long as she gets beach time and a visit to Monet's garden, all will be well :D

The best way to make up time is to get up early(ish) and not ponce about pressing flowers. Some fail in either or both simple objectives. The other is to take a motorway if it makes sense to do so; some fail in even that simple pragmatic route of decision making. A good example of a place to take a motorway to skirt a town is, Nancy; unless you have a pressing need to visit an elderly (very rich) aunt on her deathbed in the middle of the day, in the middle of the town.

When we have just 7-8 days we normally ride Motorway on day one (Around Troyes or Epinal) and then we start day two on reasonable roads (Morvan or Vosges) and then have a similar full day of Motorway coming home.

This easily buys us an extra full day (or more) on the nice roads compared to only doing a couple of hours of Motorway away from Calais on the 1st and last days.

The best way to make up time is to get up early(ish) and not ponce about pressing flowers.

You've obviously read my US ride reports :D

I like to be up and on the road early doors and get breakfast/brunch down the way a little. I also like a reasonably early finish to find a good spot to stay and relax at the end of the day.

I don't really understand this depart at 10.00am nonsense as the day seems wasted and you always seem to be chasing your tail.

Back
Top Bottom