Recommendation for Belgium and Luxembourg please

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
End of April I am taking my eldest daughter back to Germany where she works so we are doing a dad and daughter bike trip rather than flying her back. Ferry booked which arrives at Zeebrugge at 8.45 am. Ghent looks nice but could ideally do with somewhere further south allowing us to drop into Luxembourg earlier on the second day. Any suggestions for Belgium and Luxembourg stay would be appreciated.

Thanks

Clervaux is just into N.Lux about 300km from Zeebrugge.

Choice of hotels with a nice town centre, a castle and restaurants. Surrounded by very nice roads.

I stayed in Hotel des Nations opposite the train station. Good accommodation, average food so dine out.

De La Poste in Bouillon would be top of my list too, Grand Hotel in Echternach is also good value with a larger town to explore and Durbury at the northern end of the region is a lovely old town, yet to find a great hotel there at sensible money, but the ones I have used at my budget have been fine.

The Panorama, up above Bouillon is OK, too. As is the bistro L’Aristide, straight across the river from the de la Poste. Agree, the moules place is to be avoided. Odd, as the Belgians are usually good at bottom dwellers and sewage pipe feeders.

That's perfect and now booked Arsey thank. I want to visit Bastogne on the way to Luxembourg so ideal.:beerjug:

They have a nice underground car park but you need to check in first so you get your keycard to open the door so leave your bike at the top of the slope, check in then ride down and park up.

Great biking roads in Luxembourg. Not sure I'd bother with Luxembourg city though.

If you can get down the bottom visit Schengen (where the agreement was signed) as there is a memorial and a section of the Berlin wall. Then ride alongside the Moselle river surrounded by vinyards, very pretty. You can cross over into Germany and France from there as well.

Across the river in France is Sierck les Bains which has a rather nice fort/castle on the hill.

Or head up the river to Remich, tends to be lots of cafe's with bikes about in the summer.

If you want to stock up on cheap coffee, tobacco or fuel, Schengen although a small town has many petrol stations rammed with goods to sell to the Germans who come across the border to stock up.

Spa is a nice little town with plenty going on and a choice of restaurants. I'm desperately trying to remember the name of a great little B&B we stayed in, about 10 mins from Spa towards Malmedy. Very pretty place, out on its own a bit but incredibly peaceful as a result. Restaurant only open a couple of nights a week but has great reviews.

You can access the race circuit to see what's going on - usually some sort of track day.

Remembered by looking at old photos it's called Le Soyereu. http://www.lesoyeuru.be/

Spa is a nice little town with plenty going on and a choice of restaurants. I'm desperately trying to remember the name of a great little B&B we stayed in, about 10 mins from Spa towards Malmedy. Very pretty place, out on its own a bit but incredibly peaceful as a result. Restaurant only open a couple of nights a week but has great reviews.

You can access the race circuit to see what's going on - usually some sort of track day.

Remembered by looking at old photos it's called Le Soyereu. http://www.lesoyeuru.be/

Was the B&B on the left as you headed from Spa half way towards Spa Francorchamp. Set in its own grounds at the end of a short straight driveway just off the main road as it rises up and up to a sharpish left on which there was a very nice restaurant on the right hand side ?

If so we stayed there for a few nights too, very nice place , nice views. I seem to remember they had proper mini hand towels like flannels instead of paper towels in the restaurant toilets & you threw them in a basket instead of a bin

I seem to remember they had proper mini hand towels like flannels instead of paper towels in the restaurant toilets & you threw them in a basket instead of a bin

I don’t see that catching on at the Super Sausage any time soon. “Well poncy, mate. No wonder they feckin’ rip us off fer scran ‘n brew. Feck ‘em, not comin’ again. Cnuts”

Great biking roads in Luxembourg. Not sure I'd bother with Luxembourg city though.

If you can get down the bottom visit Schengen (where the agreement was signed) as there is a memorial and a section of the Berlin wall. Then ride alongside the Moselle river surrounded by vinyards, very pretty. You can cross over into Germany and France from there as well.

Across the river in France is Sierck les Bains which has a rather nice fort/castle on the hill.

Or head up the river to Remich, tends to be lots of cafe's with bikes about in the summer.

If you want to stock up on cheap coffee, tobacco or fuel, Schengen although a small town has many petrol stations rammed with goods to sell to the Germans who come across the border to stock up.

Remich was a pleasant place to stay for 2 nights on our recent trip. We used the Hotel St Nicholas which is part of the Logis group. Overlooks the Mosel. Very good restaurant, honesty bar, indoor & outdoor pools, spa and underground parking. We ate in the hotel one night then wandered around until settling in a riverside restaurant. Only downside was no aircon in the rooms, just a ceiling fan so a bit sticky in the recent heatwave. Room rate includes breakfast. Staff speak good English, German & French.
https://www.saint-nicolas.lu/

Back
Top Bottom