660 compatable Portable Traffic Receiver

AberdeenAngus

Reaction score
I understand the Zumo 660 is capable of receiving traffic updates.
The only traffic receiver suitable for the 660, while in the motorcycle mount, was the Garmin GTM 12 FM TMC Portable Traffic Receiver.
Unfortunately this is discontinued.

Has anybody come across another device or workaround which will let the 660 get traffic updates, in the motorcycle mount?

After some serious detective work (someone told me), I found on on ebay.de
I'll report back how I get on with it.

We shall see !

If it doesn't i'm going to get a waterproof mount for my phone and use the apple-maps sat nav.

Now you have me thinking, I wonder if the Nav6 does this or not...........:D

Think I have just answered my own question...........:blast now going to have a look

Advanced navigation features on the Navigator VI facilitate the needs and situational awareness of motorcyclists on the road. Riders will now have access to free live services that provide real time live traffic, weather radar visibility, smart notifications directly on the viewer display screen, lifetime maps and more. With the new Round Trip Routing feature, riders are given access to route configurations by taking time, distance and temporary destinations into account to make the most of their ride. In conjunction with curvy routing mode and the alternative to avoid motorways, the Navigator VI now has the option to deviate from unchanging and often wearisome major roads that can take away from the thrill of an adventurous ride.

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 55 some years ago

Came with lifetime traffic reports -

Non lifetime maps

I bought my wife the same model a year later for christmas

Lifetime maps

No Traffic reporting

Both units look identical! - :blast

The traffic reporting units needs a special power lead -

basically the exact same lead that the non traffic unit has - :blast:blast

I did some experimenting to see if it was just the lead -

It is & it isnt if that makes sense

The non traffic lead does not report traffic on the traffic nuvi & does not report traffic on the non traffic nuvi

The traffic lead does report traffic on the traffic Nuvi & dosent report traffic on the non traffic Nuvi

So - certainly for the non traffic nuvi - its internal hardware / software - A search of the service menu shows traffic not enabled

The traffic Nuvi shows traffic enabled in the service menu

Now i know my Zumo 550 has the traffic option with a suitable cable -- ;) ;)

Trouble is the Plug on the cable is right angled to fit the Nuvi, and on the Zumo, the underdoor hinges the other way - Bugger

So unless i take the unit apart or bodgeinate the door i cant test it out :(

Back
Top Bottom