Help needed

Andy9

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for a bike to do the TAT on next year, it needs to be nice and light as I not as young as I think I am!

After a bit of googling the KTM 500exc looks terrific with a few mods, however I can't find a definitive answer to the servicing issue
on longer journeys. Obviously will need oil changes but we certainly won't be racing so hopefully valves etc would be good for the trip.

Ive had the 690 Enduro in the past but thought these bikes looked rather more exciting.

Look forward to your comments, piss taking also accepted.

Many thanks

Andy9

Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for a bike to do the TAT on next year, it needs to be nice and light as I not as young as I think I am!

After a bit of googling the KTM 500exc looks terrific with a few mods, however I can't find a definitive answer to the servicing issue
on longer journeys. Obviously will need oil changes but we certainly won't be racing so hopefully valves etc would be good for the trip.

Ive had the 690 Enduro in the past but thought these bikes looked rather more exciting.

Look forward to your comments, piss taking also accepted.

Many thanks

Andy9

Hi Andy. I swapped my 690 for a 2015 500 exc. I've done 2 TET trips on it both about 2,500 miles. I changed the oil about half way through the trip but the oil was still pretty clean when it came out. I have got a bigger clutch cover on it that takes oil capacity to about 1.7 litres. The valves clearances didn't need adjusting at all after the first trip but they did need doing after the last trip. Total mileage of the bike was just over 6000 miles.
The bike is fine on tarmac and cruises happily at 75-80 mph. It originally had a HDB rally lite fairing that made road work more bearable than stock but now has a Nomad fairing which is a lot better. The 690 I had had a Rally Raid fairing on it and it was better on the road and would sit at 85 mph all day long and felt a lot more planted. Off road the exc is in a different league to be honest. The suspension is better, it's far more maneuverable and a lot lighter to pick up (apparently !!). I've absolutely no regrets in changing, the bike is exactly what I want for the type of riding I do. Hoping to have a go at one of the easier rallies this year with a mate on his 450.

Hi Andy. I swapped my 690 for a 2015 500 exc. I've done 2 TET trips on it both about 2,500 miles. I changed the oil about half way through the trip but the oil was still pretty clean when it came out. I have got a bigger clutch cover on it that takes oil capacity to about 1.7 litres. The valves clearances didn't need adjusting at all after the first trip but they did need doing after the last trip. Total mileage of the bike was just over 6000 miles.
The bike is fine on tarmac and cruises happily at 75-80 mph. It originally had a HDB rally lite fairing that made road work more bearable than stock but now has a Nomad fairing which is a lot better. The 690 I had had a Rally Raid fairing on it and it was better on the road and would sit at 85 mph all day long and felt a lot more planted. Off road the exc is in a different league to be honest. The suspension is better, it's far more maneuverable and a lot lighter to pick up (apparently !!). I've absolutely no regrets in changing, the bike is exactly what I want for the type of riding I do. Hoping to have a go at one of the easier rallies this year with a mate on his 450.

Hi Rich, hope you don't mind me jumping in with a couple more questions.

What's the luggage carrying capability like compared to your 690, especially with regards to suspension, Spring rates and sub-frame strength? I like the idea of a 500 (KTM or Husky) especially as they're 40kgs lighter than 690, but they're not really built for carrying kit, especially if there's camping involved.

A 690/701 looks better equipped for this (they have pillion capability allegedly!), with suspension that will cope and a rear frame that can take lightweight panniers etc.Obviously all that comes at expense of more weight etc.

Interested in your thoughts as you've had both options.

Nomad kit looks great btw so post a piccie of your bike :thumb2

Hi I'm not sure what the carrying capacity of the Rally Raid racks are that I had on my 690. On the 500 I've got this rack:
http://www.globetrottin.com/Top-rack-with-pannier-brackets-KTM-250-525-2008-thru-2016_p_21.html
I've loaded it up to the 27kg limit and had zero problems and it's been ridden pretty quickly off and on road. I use Magadan panniers and they are fantastic. The larger external pockets will take 2 litre containers for oil and water. We camp and i carry a tent, sleeping bag and air bed. Stoves and pots and pans are shared between 2 of us. I take enough spares to get me out of most situations - oil, air and fuel filters, 2 tubes, levers, brake and gearchange pedals spare fuel pump and a battery boost pack. I use lightweight kit when I can and don't carry many clothes!
I sent the forks and rear shock away to be re-sprung and set up for my weight plus the luggage and it handles brilliantly off road but can get a bit "flighty" over 80 mph on the road.
In respect of which bike is best - if you're doing mainly road work then I'd go for the 690,but if you're doing more off road the 500 is way better. We've done the TET from Bulgaria back to Slovenia and the 500 was great on the trails. We caught the motorail to Germany then rode on tarmac back to the UK and it coped well at 75 ish. It really is a great lightweight travel bike.

500 with Nomad kit

500 with Nomad kit and Globetrottin rack

Attachments

• 500 exc.jpg
    500 exc.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 235
I haven't got a photo of my bike loaded but this is my mates 450 with the same set up.

Attachments

• KTM with panniers.jpg
    KTM with panniers.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 228
Well I've ridden the TAT on a 640adv and out of your 2 choices for that trip would say the 690 would be the better option to comfortably eat the generally non technical miles.

If I do it again it'll be on my 950SE despite having a perfect 640adv and a ktm 520. :)

Thanks for all the info Rich. There seems to be a growing number of folk turning to the 500s as lightweight off road travel bikes and they would appear a serious option after a few mods have been done. Your bike looks fabulous btw!

I was wondering if I could get away with just the one bike to cover my weekend trail riding and then do the occasional off road trip (Iceland, TET etc.). Still in two minds as I love my Husky fe350 and was thinking of getting a 701 for trips, but it would just sit in the garage for most of the year. The Husky 501 with Nomad options looks a possible choice, but given I'm somewhat limited in my off road skills, I'm not sure about how I'd cope with it on my average Sunday TRF ride.

Nice to have options though, so thanks for all the info about yours :beerjug:

Well I've ridden the TAT on a 640adv and out of your 2 choices for that trip would say the 690 would be the better option to comfortably eat the generally non technical miles.

If I do it again it'll be on my 950SE despite having a perfect 640adv and a ktm 520. :)

I think you are right. Having looked at the TAT myself it did seem that a fair bit of it was pretty easy going and an EXC would probably be a bit overkill. Hopefully next year we will be doing the Continental Divide Route and some of the BCDR routes. From what I can see I think they are a bit more technical than the TAT.

Thanks for all the info Rich. There seems to be a growing number of folk turning to the 500s as lightweight off road travel bikes and they would appear a serious option after a few mods have been done. Your bike looks fabulous btw!

I was wondering if I could get away with just the one bike to cover my weekend trail riding and then do the occasional off road trip (Iceland, TET etc.). Still in two minds as I love my Husky fe350 and was thinking of getting a 701 for trips, but it would just sit in the garage for most of the year. The Husky 501 with Nomad options looks a possible choice, but given I'm somewhat limited in my off road skills, I'm not sure about how I'd cope with it on my average Sunday TRF ride.

Nice to have options though, so thanks for all the info about yours :beerjug:

Thanks for the nice comments :thumb I do trail ride the 500 now and again but prefer to use my Beta Xtrainer. To be honest the 500 probably doesn't get used as much as it should but this year we are going to try and get out on the TET in the UK as much as we can over weekends.
Depending on the type of trails you ride the 500 would, in my opinion, be easier to live with than the 690 or 701 but in all honesty I had my 690 for 4 years and absolutely loved it.

Decisions decisions :nenau

Thanks gentlemen for the info, much appreciated.

Going to go for the 500

Cheer Andy9

Thanks gentlemen for the info, much appreciated.

Going to go for the 500

Cheer Andy9

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. My experience is only with the model that ran up to 2016. The 2017 on is lighter and more powerful but I was worried about the rear subframe - or more to the point the lack of a rear subframe. Having said that the owner of Nomad has a late model and they have designed a rack for it. His bike has been used on a long trip without any issues as far as I'm aware. Whilst we had to wait longer than we expected (our bikes were used to design a kit for the earlier model) I can thoroughly recommend the components that Nomad produce and their work ethic.
If you do get the earlier one and want a rear luggage rack I have a spare. My mate used mine as a pattern to get one made but the fabricator made two! I've put one of the new ones back on my bike so the original Globetrottin' one is spare.

If you do get the earlier one and want a rear luggage rack I have a spare. My mate used mine as a pattern to get one made but the fabricator made two! I've put one of the new ones back on my bike so the original Globetrottin' one is spare.

Hi Rich,
So what year KTM would your spare rack fit?
Mark

Hi Rich,
So what year KTM would your spare rack fit?
Mark

Hi Mark

The rack should fit any exc from 2008 through to 2016 although you do have to cut a hole in the side panel on 2008 to 2011 models. This is the link to the rack:
http://www.globetrottin.com/Top-rack-with-pannier-brackets-KTM-250-525-2008-thru-2016_p_21.html and the fitting instructions are at the bottom. I haven't got any bolts with it or the spacers where it meets the bottom of the subframe (down by the pegs) but the bolts are standard metric and the spacers easy to fab. The only thing I've had done extra is some extra loops added when it was made to take some tie down straps. Let me know if you are interested and I'll put some pictures up.

Cheers Rich

Hi Rich,
Its for a mate with an '07, though he is quite keen on making his own. Have sent him the link and told him about yours.
Cheers
mark

Back
Top Bottom