Decisions - stick or twist?

wessie

Reaction score
I have had the 2016 XR since July. It came with T31 tyres fitted. Rear tyre is not long for the world and I will change the pair. I would be happy to use the T31 again.

My other bike is a R1200RS and this has Avon Storm 3DXM which are excellent tyres.

From an email with my local tyre emporium, Chris Mullins in Gloucester:

a pair of T31 would cost you fully fitted £275.00 in . The Avon 3DXM would be £195.00 and the Michelin Road 5 will be £290.00

I think it will be the Avons then ... twist

Seem steep for the Michelin’s, I have them on mine from the end of last year, great tyre and I think I paid £225 for the set fitted from memory.

Michelin do a cashback and track day deal from time to time, might be worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re braver than me. On a 160bhp upright sportsbike, I certainly wouldn’t be fitting the cheapest tyres available. :eek:

You’re braver than me. On a 160bhp upright sportsbike, I certainly wouldn’t be fitting the cheapest tyres available. :eek:

Well, I own a set on a R1200RS and also know the very same Avons are one of the favoured tyres with Hayabusa riders, so I don't think there is any question over grip.

My take to m it would be to do a direct replacement with the tyres that I know and like and that are fitted to the bike.
I wouldn’t, however, replace the front tyre as well if it’s got lots of life left in it.
That way I wouldn’t spend as much money as a pair at the current time, get a tyre that I and the bike are happy with and also get better value for money out of the front tyre.

That’s my way, but each to their own as they say.

I tried the Michelin road 5 on my S1000XR and bloody hated them, felt vague when pushed and those big sipes seem to squirm around a lot when you're pushing along or braking hard. A lot of good reviews and comments on this tyre so it just goes to show how personal tyre choice is.
I've gone back to Dunlop Roadsmart 3's and all is well with the world again for me.

I ave Avon Storms, as has my wife, on our S1000Xr's and they are fine by me, predictable in the wet and dry, enjoy !

Back
Top Bottom