Another Tyre Thread - 1290 (1190)

I’ll be putting new tyres on my GT for my trip to the Sachsenring and onwards in July but there’s a slight nag in my mind that because they’re not worn out but are squared off after my summer tour last year I should order some in and get them fitted somewhere like Prague after I’ve done the long autobahn drag across Germany.

Probably get away with just having the rear done once there, the front should get an easy life on the initial motorway blast.

Although generally I find a new rear is OK on way out, as it does not get too square on way to the mountains, but the slog back home tends to leave it a bit square - but as all the roads near me a re straight it makes little odds as the roads near me mean all tyres end up fairly squared off eventually, so I only want a good tyre for that week or two abroad.

They’ve got plenty of life in them if we do a sedate ride to Estonia which is one of the options and the roads from Saxony up and around the Baltic aren’t exactly full of decent passes but as is normally the case with me we’re not planning anything until we leave the Sachsenring and if the weather looks good in Romania we’ll probably go there where good tyres are essential.

First World problems for a third World planner mean I’ll probably not take the chance and just buy new before leaving.

Just ordered a pair of Dunlop TrailSmart Max's based on what others have said on the Adv forum, cost £207. Was also considering the T31's.

Moose - you had time to get them scrubbed in yet and be able to give any review? Thinking of either these or TA3's for my 790 Adventure.

Just clocked up 1200+ miles in the Pyrenees on the Road 5's and I quite like them, they gave good grip and seem to be wearing well, I was fortunate enough not to need to test theri wet grip credentials so still not able to comment on this ability.

The tread goes much further round than the OE tyres so even though I am leaning much further on the Pyrenees passes than I did running in at home I still have plenty of unused tyre, whereas the on the Pirellis I was almost to the edge of the rear, this might give confidence to anyone who is worried about riding off the OE rubber.

The rear tyre is already onto the "slick" part, and on the front I have just got to the start of the "slick" section - anyone leaning as far in the wet as I have been in the dry is a hero!

I am not finding the feel at the front to be as good as the Roadsmarts on the 1190 at "my limits", which in a way is good as it stops me trying to push any harder, apart from hitting the odd spot of gravel they never showed any signs of letting go, even at full throttle in 2nd out of hairpins even when the front is lifting while still slightly cranked over, the grip is still there.

One thing I find a bit odd is they feel slower steering than the OE tyres (and when hopping on my 1190 it feels much faster turning on its Roadsmarts) but the stability is excellent, even at 3 figures with fully loaded panniers and the top box fitted.

They have plenty of life left in them to do my Alps trip next month and more than happy to leave them on for that, once worn I might try the Roadtec 01s and see if I get the sharper feel I prefer from those.

Just ordered a pair of Dunlop TrailSmart Max's based on what others have said on the Adv forum, cost £207. Was also considering the T31's.

Moose - have you done many miles on the Dunlops yet? Interested to know what you think as I'm looking for a road based tyre for my 790 Adventure and am limited by the 18/21" wheel sizes

Back
Top Bottom