690 enduro mileage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Doing a bit of research before taking the plunge---can anyone advise what might be classed as high mileage on a 690 Enduro please, assuming it's been looked after. I appreciate it depends on usage but just a general idea would be good.
Thanks

Depends, depends, depends :)

I realise that Tim and understand its difficult to give a definitive answer-- let's assume it's been serviced as per KTM service schedule and ridden sensibly by a rider with some mechanical sympathy and a fear of broken limbs...

I've been looking at a few and noticed that they seem to be used as commuter bikes to some extent, with a bit of green lane fun on the side.
I'm just trying to gauge if they are any better at normal mileage than, say, a highly strung trail bike like an exc-f. The oil change interval for example suggests they are a more road orientated, or dual purpose, engine.

I realise that Tim and understand its difficult to give a definitive answer-- let's assume it's been serviced as per KTM service schedule and ridden sensibly by a rider with some mechanical sympathy and a fear of broken limbs...

I've been looking at a few and noticed that they seem to be used as commuter bikes to some extent, with a bit of green lane fun on the side.
I'm just trying to gauge if they are any better at normal mileage than, say, a highly strung trail bike like an exc-f. The oil change interval for example suggests they are a more road orientated, or dual purpose, engine.

Looked after and with some specific preventive measures there's plenty that reach decent mileage.

Cam followers are/were a known weak spot and recognising that early can prevent damage to the cam etc.
Not every one has problems with fuel pumps but many do.
KTM light gauge wiring can be suspect if it's been rubbing.

You're right in them being a duel purpose engine with longer service intervals than many of the exc range.

So apart from the cam follower problem, mechanically it's a strong LC4 engine that should reach a high mileage ie. 80k plus, cylinders are Nikasil plated and very long lasting compared to much fabled Honda XRs etc etc ...... but then there's the electrics and fuelling systems, oh and suspension :D

Looked after and with some specific preventive measures there's plenty that reach decent mileage.

Cam followers are/were a known weak spot and recognising that early can prevent damage to the cam etc.
Not every one has problems with fuel pumps but many do.
KTM light gauge wiring can be suspect if it's been rubbing.

You're right in them being a duel purpose engine with longer service intervals than many of the exc range.

So apart from the cam follower problem, mechanically it's a strong LC4 engine that should reach a high mileage ie. 80k plus, cylinders are Nikasil plated and very long lasting compared to much fabled Honda XRs etc etc ...... but then there's the electrics and fuelling systems, oh and suspension :D

Hmmmm, so apart from the cams, camshaft if not caught soon enough, electrics, fuelling and suspension it sounds great...:blast
F650GS looking more attractive every day.
Thanks

If you ride a F650GS and KTM690 back to back I know which one will put a big grin on your face..

Here's a thought, buy MBs 690 and convert it to carburettor with the cash saved from buying newer and also convert to 300mm suspension all round if requiured.
Mike has already checked the top end and if he says it's all good then I'd believe him, if you didn't £130 will buy a pair of newer rockers ( marked SF15 or 16 ) for peace of mind..I've just bought a spare pair for my 2014 690 to carry on a trip this year..no big deal really :rolleyes:.
I've also checked out the fuel pump and fitted an external filter..again, peace of mind.

Stick on a Wings end can and a Rottweiler fuelling dongle and they are bloody amazing bikes for the size and weight :D

I've also owned a F650GS.

Any BMW 650 can never look attractive compared to a good 690 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom