Insuring an unregistered bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm just being stupid here...

Isn't the bike the dealer's responsibility (and property) until it's registered and you take delivery?

I've never insure a bike or car until the day I pick it up before...

:nenau

The bike is being registered on 1st March. The dealer is delivering it three weeks early, so that it’s not used as a climbing frame in the showroom.

Bikesure will insure the unregistered bike for a month for £165.42, but they'll insure it for a year for £246.69. :nenau

That’s very easy to explain. Losses (claims) are by their nature random, sudden and unforeseen. In other words, you are just as likely to have this brand new awsome steed stolen from your garage on the first day of the month in question as you are on the last day of the policy year. Insurers, as they are not all chimps in a box, know this very simple fact. So, they charge you a large slug of a year’s premium to insure you for just one month, as opposed to a pro-rata one twelfth. It’s generic term is, ‘short rate’ or ‘a short rate premium’.

Carry on...

Dealer will have a list of registration numbers available to them for new bikes, get them to allocate a vrm to the bike and insure it on that , then come 1st March it will be registered with that number.

Tell insurer that it is not yet on the system and it should be fine.............. I had my last new GSA insured for a fortnight before it was registered

I can't see why that wouldn't work

At the end of the day your insurers are only after a registration number to stick in a box on their system

Dealer will have a list of registration numbers available to them for new bikes, get them to allocate a vrm to the bike and insure it on that , then come 1st March it will be registered with that number.

Tell insurer that it is not yet on the system and it should be fine.............. I had my last new GSA insured for a fortnight before it was registered

Cheers guys, that’s what I’m hoping. :thumb

Nutty,

Bit late to the party on this (sorry), but I would give the guys at BeMoto a call.

They are very good, don't employ the "computer says no" sort, and may be able to help you out with what you need.
There's mention of Fire and theft without a V5 - so I am hopeful they could sort you out.

Go via 44teeth for a bit of a discount too; http://44teeth.com/44rewards/bemoto-insurance-products/

Never mind the insurance. What is it you’re getting and is KTM getting the heave-ho? ;)

Never mind the insurance. What is it you’re getting and is KTM getting the heave-ho? ;)

I’ve already said that the new GS is awesome, and how much I liked it. ;)

Glad to here it. I missed the post where you mentioned the awesomeness of your new steed :beerjug:

My dealer called, and my bike will be ready by the end of next week and the dealer wants to deliver it as soon as they can. As I’m away every weekend in February, they’re registering it 1st March, so I’ve called my insurance company, MCE, and may have issues insuring it until it’s registered. Has anyone else been in the same situation if so who did you insure it through?

Same issue I had with Hastings Direct. Ended up canceling policy with them and now gone with bemoto. No problem with bike not being on DVLA system. However you might have issues unless you have a 19' plate youve chosen.

Bikesure will insure the unregistered bike for a month for £165.42, but they'll insure it for a year for £246.69. :nenau

My issue is that my current policy has 6 months left to run, and after paying around £280 for the year, I'd only get about £25 back, which is a bit rubbish.

I'll have the reg number on Monday, so will try my insurance company again to see if they can insure it with that.

Ive got £5.07 back from what was left to run, and a £20 compensation checque for not willing to insure a new bike and robbing me of another years NCB discount.

I got the reg from the dealer today, called the insurance company and the bike is insured from Thursday this week, even though it won’t be registered until March 1st. The chimp on the phone at the broker was the same one that said it wasn’t possible originally. :blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom