Tough Rides - China - oh dear

I don’t know, I wouldn’t. I was just saying bikes running don’t normally flatten their batteries, unless there’s another problem.

yes they can ,
try checking current draw ( with an inline shunt , shows current draw plus or minus ) almost any bike will not keep up at tickover . most bikes don't start charging til they are doing more than 2k rpm . most charging systems barely keep up in low speed traffic .

come and drive a bike in London in rush hour , in the winter, with lights on all the time, doing lots of stop/start traffic.

They are patronising and annoying, but for those of us who will may never get the chance to ride outside Europe it gives an insight into RTW type travel. It’s far better than Corrie.

I was a big fan of Charley and Ewan’s Long way round and thought Charley a bit of a PITA, I’ve since met him and changed my mind. He is one of the nice guys.

I for one will watch these series and gain some enjoyment, well not the Grand Tour, because I suspect it’s too silly for words.

it's worked out ok for chummie, he's a regular presenter on Discovery channel is sponsored by glasshuette watches as a brand ambassador.... gets stuff given to him for free and paid to travel about.... so all in all he's done ok...

Surely with the bikes running the batteries wouldn’t go flat? You can’t turn the lights off anyway.

But why leave the bikes running?

I don’t know, I wouldn’t. I was just saying bikes running don’t normally flatten their batteries, unless there’s another problem.

Bikes don’t flatten battery while running with lights on. In fact you can’t turn them Off !!! JJH

I think batteries don't charge under low rpm such as ticking over;

isn't also to do with the inverter used, alternator rating and power curve produced..? the cheap shit ones are that... and the nice ones are eye watering expensive...!

I think batteries don't charge under low rpm such as ticking over;

I had reason to check this out on my RE Himalayan and found that at idle the voltage displayed on my meter at the battery was around 14.6 volts, this of course with all the lights on.
Switch main beam on and it dropped a shade to 14.3 volts, still charging then. Put the heated grips on and it showed around 14 volts, still charging. Put heated jacket on as well and it
came down to about 13.8 so, still inputting charge to the battery. My 1200 TC GS is much the same in that all the load is balanced out by the alternator at idle. Just my findings that's
all, other people may find different.

As I'm planning something like this, maybe not China, I had no idea that there are so many shows out there .
I for one would watch them all at least to get an insight on various parts of the journey, however, when I tell people I might do a long trip, they all say "have you seen the Ewan Macgregor and......." where I have to stop them right there.

I'm not watching any support vehicle-supported rides, sorry.

It's like the difference between Bear Grylls and Ed Stafford (when Ed just had a camera by himself)
I'll post all the ride reports I've seen in case anyone finds any of them, they haven't seen.

They also made a follow up - Tough Rides, India.

Things aren't any better and they don't seem to have learnt much.:blast

On new Royal Enfields this time:nenau

one of them went on to ride around Brazil - you should see that guy struggling on the muddy, rutted rainforest tracks. I'm no expert but - get the revs up and ride guy!

Further to this, the best one I’ve seen, way back before vlogging and ‘influencers’ were a thing, was ‘Not Dead Yet’ by Oisin Hughes - of this parish.

His wonderfully home-made series doesn’t seem to be on YouTube any more, which is a great shame.

Don’t know if anyone is in touch with him ?

Cheers,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Further to this, the best one I’ve seen, way back before vlogging and ‘influencers’ were a thing, was ‘Not Dead Yet’ by Oisin Hughes - of this parish.

His wonderfully home-made series doesn’t seem to be on YouTube any more, which is a great shame.

Don’t know if anyone is in touch with him ?

Cheers,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed watching him too. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom