Tough Rides - China - oh dear

Dave56

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just watched the “Tough Rides - China” on Amazon Prime.
The story of a ride circumnavigating China by motorcycle (GS 700) by the Pyle brothers.
Don’t know whether anyone else has seen it but oh dear, I don’t think I’ve ever seen two more incompetent motorcyclists.
They appear not to have a bloody clue on how to either ride or treat a motorcycle correctly.
For example, leaving the bikes running with the lights on while they shelter in there support vehicle, then wonder why there batteries are flat, burning a clutch out while riding off road, picking up a nail in the rear tyre and not having any tyre weld or repair kit. They also, on numerous occasions show total disrespect for the locals or the culture. :nenau

Surely with the bikes running the batteries wouldn’t go flat? You can’t turn the lights off anyway.

But why leave the bikes running?

I don’t know, I wouldn’t. I was just saying bikes running don’t normally flatten their batteries, unless there’s another problem.

I don’t know, I wouldn’t. I was just saying bikes running don’t normally flatten their batteries, unless there’s another problem.

There was no other problem, they where just total numpties. While I applaud their ambition, I just felt while watching that their execution left something to be desired.

Bikes don’t flatten battery while running with lights on. In fact you can’t turn them Off !!! JJH

There are thousands of people doing a long motorcycle trip at this very moment. If you want to make a video or write a book you have to have an angle. Unfortunately the most popular angle seems to be ‘the idiot trying something difficult’.

The ultimate manifestation is Top Gear/Grand Tour. Funny but total fiction.

There are thousands of people doing a long motorcycle trip at this very moment. If you want to make a video or write a book you have to have an angle. Unfortunately the most popular angle seems to be ‘the idiot trying something difficult’.

Yep, I think you have it right :thumb

Got it in one. Not all but a few exaggerate this and go well OTT, obviously to help them sell products or they have the all about ME complex. What's worse is when you meet them on the road and they don't realise you've and everyone else has done the same shit. Had some Yanks doing a bike tour doco series when I was in Laos, they fucked up our crossing by being all flash with the cash, their on screen persona was fuck all like their normal personalities. Wankers! It's not just Americans, if you watch anything on you tube you'll see them. There was also an Aussie, I think and investment banker who rode from Hong Kong to home in Aus having cocktail parties in each country for charity. He did the full on Ewan and Charlie RTW training before he left with his support vehicle and film crew. :blast

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there gspod.

There’s some great ride reports on here at the moment from Onhellas, Simon and Mern. A lot more inspiring than some books I’ve read.
I’m not knocking people who want adventure and try to make a few quid at the same time - just saying that, as a reader/viewer, I like to know what’s real and what’s not.

Santa goes to Princetown,

That was totally fkin underestimated lol

That said, unlesss you push yourself, you'll never know

Bang on the money. If you watch any of the reality type programmes, they all revolve round people overcoming what they try to make out as major issues, struggling like mad and just getting it done in time. The reality is most people would have got on with it and moved on. It drives me bonkers.........

Tough Rides

They also made a follow up - Tough Rides, India.

Things aren't any better and they don't seem to have learnt much.:blast

On new Royal Enfields this time:nenau

Back
Top Bottom