Helmet Camera for still photography

Nemo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a helmet cam that does good still photography. I'm not interested in video. I just want to be able to look in a particular direction and take a photo without taking my gloves off, unzipping my jacket, finding my phone or camera and then faffing about.

I spoke to a guy in the local Currys (or whatever it's called now) and all he did was provide confusion. Any tips or recommendations will be very welcome.

The Garmin Virbs use a small operating unit which clips into a holder on your bars - it gives the option of video or a photo.

It’s an extra cost, though

(The round disc in the pic)

Attachments

• B83DE004-7EA3-442B-B9A2-68BDC9F712F9.jpg
    B83DE004-7EA3-442B-B9A2-68BDC9F712F9.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 179
Drift cameras have a remote control that you can strap to the handlebar. Set the camera to ‘photo’ mode and just press the button when you want to take a picture. You can also use it to start/stop video and take a picture whilst in video mode. WIN/WIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of action type cameras give you the option of photo, some have a remote too, I would guess you will need to get the highest mega pixel one for best results, some gopro’s are 12mp, I’m sure there are higher. Will be interested in any comments 😃

The cameras are fixed focal length. The camera will have a wide field of view. Be interested in to see how you get on. Benefits are you can take pics on the move.

Why not have a camera in your top bag - you should be able to operate it with summer gloves. If the camera has a rear lcd screen then helmet stays on as well. This is my solution. Most of the photographs will be mediocre, however there will be some that you may wish to have printed and you may wish for a better quality image.

Thanks for the tips

Those are great tips and are very useful. I take the points about fixed focal length etc. Lots to think about. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom