F700GS time for a new battery

powelly999

Reaction score
Hi all
The original battery on my 2014 F700GS is getting a little tired it seems and while it does start the bike, it’s progressively slower at turning it over. I, from time to time keep it on my Optimate III charger but find now during the winter and longer in between rides that it still doesn’t whizz it over starting as it used to.
My question is, after speaking to BMW this morning on having a new one during its service on Tuesday and finding out the price:eek: are Lithium batteries ok to be charged with my Optimate? I’m looking at getting one from a third party supplier after finding out the BMW original cost, but don’t want have to buy a new charger if I don’t have to.
Otherwise I’ll just get a standard type and continue with my charger.

Thanks
Andrew

But a lithium shouldn’t need charging as they don’t self discharge to the same degree as lead acid. Unless there’s something draining your battery? JJH

I have the electronic Scotoiler which is permanently connected, so there will always be a current drain unfortunately. The battery used to cope in between rides but now as it’s older it struggles a bit I think.

Thanks
Andrew

The current drain from a e Scottoiler is very small, any decent battery will not be affected by it!!
The power consumption in Sleep Mode = 400 μAh

Quote from Scottoiler website:

Battery Life
To fully drain a battery with 12V
in Sleep Mode =1250 days
on but not pumping = 200 days

Fit a Motobatt, my F800 GS has lived outside for 9 years and the Motobatt copes with low temps and retains the voltage really well, it comes with four terminals.
The Motobatt Battery MBTX12U Fully Sealed, fits F800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the info, much appreciated
Andrew

What did you decide on. Like you, my original battery (2012) was getting tired despite regular use and trickle charging when necessary. Seemed worse when starting from hot, strangely - eventually turned the engine over but the drain was enough to reset the fuel gauge on a couple of occasions.

I replaced it with an Odyssey a couple of years ago. Has been fine since.

What did you decide on. Like you, my original battery (2012) was getting tired despite regular use and trickle charging when necessary. Seemed worse when starting from hot, strangely - eventually turned the engine over but the drain was enough to reset the fuel gauge on a couple of occasions.

I replaced it with an Odyssey a couple of years ago. Has been fine since.

Im sure there is a diagnostic mode on the 800 twins, there certainly was was on my 08 F650GS. It’s something like when you start the speedo does a double sweep of the face, not just once at startup

Im sure there is a diagnostic mode on the 800 twins, there certainly was was on my 08 F650GS. It’s something like when you start the speedo does a double sweep of the face, not just once at startup

When the starter motor has struggled to the engine over, it does indeed do another sweep of dials, but only once. It's just as if you've turned the key off and on again.

Back
Top Bottom