Irish Photo Rally 2019

Dave one of my ex-interns called into the pharmacy last week. He's back from his tour of the far east and looking for work. The locum agencies won't take him on until he gets Garda (police) clearance. I don't have any such qualms having worked with him for 15 months so i book him there and then for 2 days, yesterday and today. So you can guess what I did.

Two more days off together and there was nothing to be done but finish off the photo rally.
Tuesday arrived and it was dry and occasionally sunny. I set off down the N8/M8. The plan was to eat up as many miles as possible before taking to the secondary and back road. In the end I went as far as Borris in Ossary and the fuel light came on about here. One fill up later and I'm off down the R445 to the R449 and on the Silvermines. My sat nav was sending me up every road from the church with each one going nowhere. As this was just an extra to the real photo rally I decided to give it a miss and head off. On to the Limerick point. I had enough of motorways for the day so I decided to try get through Limerick without them. Bad call. I got stuck in traffic and frustrated. When I got to the far side of Limerick I took a wrong turn which gave me about 30 minutes of back roads which improved humours. The Limerick point is done in short order and away I go again.
A lunch break in Newcastle West fills me up and girds my loins for the long spin to Valentia. The sun was shining hard at this stage so I stripped off my top leaving only the base layer under my jacket and I'm still warm at that. I take a reasonably direct route and get there by 6PM. Last point done for this year. I give myself a pat on the back and notice that the fuel light is on again.
Next stop is Kenmare and a B&B for the night. Off I head keeping an eye out for a petrol station. I end up getting as far as Waterville before I find one. No credit cards as the internet is down in south Kerry. Is this place primitive or what? Luckily I have enough cash on me and we're off again.
I get to the B&B about 7:20 and a shower and into Kenmare to dinner and a well earned pint. The earliest I've ever had the photo rally finished.
Day 2 is the weather gods revenge. An early and misty start. I head down the Beara peninsula to the Mountain Mine near Allihies. Only 30 minutes in and I find out that my jacket still leaks at the top of the arm zippers. Some bikers swear by their Weiss gear. I swear at mine. I approach the pathway to the Mine and see that it is not even a boreen. Rough gravel and wet at that. It wasn't mission critical to my photo rally so I turned around and headed for Castletownbere. From there is a spin up to Glengarriff. At least the rain has stopped and my arms reach a stage of acceptable dampness. Lovely bit of road.
On to the R584 and on to Macroom. The first half was great but then I stuck behind a tourist. Then the N22 to Cork. Learning from yesterdays mistake I use the motorway to bypass Cork. Then the R639 to Fermoy. Lunch as I watch it bucket down outside. It stops as I get ready to go again. Still following the R639 I keep heading for the Ventilation Chimney in Tipperary. My sat nav takes across some back roads and more R roads but I go with the flow. And then the rain starts again. I pull up under a motorway bridge and out on an extra layer and winter gloves. Sods Law, within 10 minutes it stops raining. By the time I get to the Chimney it's raining again. I quickly grab a photo and then my attention is drawn to the fact that I'm bloody cold and wet. The photo there does not convey the amount of water falling from the sky and the spray from the passing tractor with a trailor load of slurry.
I had planned a route back to home via R roads and the occasional N road. Good sense being the better part of valour I set the sat nav for the quickest route home via the motorway. Just past Urlingford it starts to rain again. Bleedin big dollops. I get on the M8 to see sheets of water so I just drop the speed and get on with it. Eventually the rain stops and the water drains away. Move on to a spot where there has been no rain at all. Repeat the last 4 sentences two more time with the odd squally shower in between for good measure.
I discover a few things. Firstly the trousers that I got in the bike show aren't remotely waterproof. Nothing a can or two of waterproof spray shouldn't be able to sort. Next my new Richa gloves and boots which I purchased two months ago in a sale and both of which feature the word water proof, aren't. So much so that my fingers sat in pools of water for the last hour home. At least the heated grips ensured that it was warm water. Even the pinlock failed to keep the visor mist free.
I got home to "What rain?" Then as I unloaded the bike to rub salt into the wounds it bucketed down again.
And how did Grace fare? One spotlight bulb blown, sidelight bulb needs replacement and headlight needs adjusting. The speedo cable that I fixed after the Northern Ireland/Donegal run never worked. Over 500 miles/800km, the oil needs replacement as does the tyres. Was it worth it? You betcha!

Now after I posted my last lovely pen picture I received complaints that I didn't post any pictures. Now I can't post any photos of Mountain Mine and Silvermines as I didn't get there. So I've prepare some artists impressions of what it would have been like if I got there. Use your imaginations folks.

Attachments

• Mountain mine.jpg
    Mountain mine.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 305
  • Silver mine.jpg
    Silver mine.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Ventilation Chimney sml.jpg
    Ventilation Chimney sml.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 15 Limerick sml.jpg
    15 Limerick sml.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 315
  • 19 Kerry sml.jpg
    19 Kerry sml.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 308
Tom Foley - RIP

Tom did not like BMW's specifically GS's - "bought by fools with more money than sense & they not able to use them off tarmac" was his view. He was a good sort & a great contributor to the Photo Rally.
He messaged me last Saturday with a potential location.
Later that day he would loose his life in a road accident - RIP Tom.

Funeral tomorrow.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/tributes-paid-gentleman-cork-pensioner-18668775

I chatted to him once at the Photo Rally Night I think when he was showing me his photos of the Clapper Bridge in Ballingeary.

Very nice fellow
Sad loss.

Don't think I met him but a gentleman, by all accounts.
His family requested donations to Blood Bike South in lieu of flowers.
A substantial amount has been received.

So some more done

Moydow church

xYajJED.jpg

Dromod signal

GPIqD1b.jpg

Newbliss church

uZABzvb.jpg

Started in Scotland ferry this morning which got in late

In kilbeggan now

Tullamore tomorrow then home

Roscommon will have to wait

Excuse to visit uncle Shay anyway :)

Howyeh Mick

9NbuL75.jpg

tTC6AUx.jpg

OxYNjme.jpg

La tene stone wasn't gonna bother but for sale of two hours and 10 euro saved another trip and 150 euro

Had mild heart attack when in scription read castlestrange stone thought it was wrong one :D

L2Ah4mb.jpg

bYIvybG.jpg

nDaDuEq.jpg

8WX02wB.jpg

18 done

I decided to head up to the Ulster BMW rally point in Killyleigh today just because I could. 380km, no rain and occasional sunshine. Great mix of roads and only got lost once. Only one more point to do for the Ulster part. Let's see if the humour takes me.

Attachments

• 05 Down1.jpg
    05 Down1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 352
Hi all,

We had another record-breaking year for Irish Photo Rally 2019 with 320 participants, including 93 newcomers. This is an increase of 59 over 2018, for which we had 261 participants.

All of the albums (digital and paper) have been packed up and sent to the judges. We will be getting these back, along with the verdicts and awards at the end of January.

The awards night for Irish Photo Rally 2019 and the launch of Irish Photo Rally 2020 will be held at the Hodson Bay Hotel, near Athlone, on the 8th of February 2020. Saturday night B&B including the Banquet Dinner will cost €99 per person sharing (twin or double room), or €130 for single occupancy. The meal ticket for anyone not staying in the hotel will cost €38.50 and tickets should be bought in advance for the hotel. For anyone who wishes to stay on the Friday night also, the cost is €57.50pps B&B or €99 for single occupancy. There is a limited number of rooms available and will be on a first-come-first-serve basis. You may book your room by contacting the Hodson Bay Hotel on +353906442000 or at reservations@hodsonbayhotel.com and quoting Irish Photo Rally. Rooms will sell out quickly, so early booking is recommended. As always, this year's participants are getting two days extra notice before it will be announced publicly, so please refrain from announcing the details online or on social media until Monday (16th of December).

Thank you for taking part in Irish Photo Rally 2019. We're looking forward to seeing you in Athlone in February.

Regards,
Irish Photo Rally crew

Back
Top Bottom