What has happened to Royal Enfields . So expensive second hand

Robbo1200ADV

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So........ thought I’d recreate my 500 I have over in India , Hitchcock bars , woodsman rear sets , single seat and rack , but Jeez they are no longer a cheap buy . Lots of tat for 3 grand . Is this where we are going or just that bikes are going up. A few years ago they were £1500 now no chance . Come trade my 2017 GSA it’s worth feck all yet an Enfield has dropped just 1/8th of its value . Is it the impending doom of sophisticated bikes ? Or are these Enfield owners over optimistic. Feck I just want a bike I can fettle with / adjust but seems even Enfields have gone mad

My neighbour trades enfields... I’ll see what he has... normally has 5 or 6 knocking about.....

So........ thought I’d recreate my 500 I have over in India , Hitchcock bars , woodsman rear sets , single seat and rack , but Jeez they are no longer a cheap buy . Lots of tat for 3 grand . Is this where we are going or just that bikes are going up. A few years ago they were £1500 now no chance . Come trade my 2017 GSA it’s worth feck all yet an Enfield has dropped just 1/8th of its value . Is it the impending doom of sophisticated bikes ? Or are these Enfield owners over optimistic. Feck I just want a bike I can fettle with / adjust but seems even Enfields have gone mad

Become trendy,
Much the same as airheads,guzzis etc

It’s the classic hype. I have 3 classics all fully restored in my garage. 1967 Triumph TR6R, 1971 Triumph T100 Daytona and a 1962 BSA Rocket Gold Star. They are appreciating by about 12% per annum. Also I ride all 3 regular. Go to any bike meet and it’s the classics that draw the crowd. Not my new GS shit cam. My GS and Triumph Street Triple however are depreciating probably by more than 12%.
The new Enfield 650’s are looking very desirable.

I knew it was downhill for them when my Local BMW dealer started selling them ��

Kept a 'Keeper'.

I bought a special Velocette Venom clubman from an ex Velocette employee, who had owned it from new.

It has some one off parts; for example in the final days of Vellocette production at Hall Green, the last Thruxtons were going to have hand made alloy tanks (as did the record holding 24 hour bikes) an upgraded head design, and clutch.

My bike is a Senior Service special, having these factory parts, Seniors were the preferred currency, allegedly, a packet of fags for dinner hour warranty claims to a select few engineers.

In lieu of these details, and having much respect for the owner, who had raced at the IOM and beat factory sponsored Nortons, I parted with my hard earned £150 to be it's new owner, friends at the time thought I was mad.

I still own the bike, I expect there has been little very depreciation on my initial investment, but to me it's priceless.

I bought one in lovely condition over Christmas from eBay.
Just watched it for a couple of weeks with no signs of movement and made a cheeky offer on Boxing day.
Bike arrived 5 days later with a shed load of new spare parts.
I retire in 53 days :D so something else to play with.
Happy days!

Feckin hipsters.

In one.

They don’t have the skills required to keep a 50 year old bike running so they buy an Enfield because it looks 50 years old but you can get a PCP deal and warranty on it.

Probably correct. They have run out of cheap airheads etc so are now scraping the barrel for old looking bikes to fuck up :D

Yes, these damn young people riding motorcycles......how dare they....this is our scene.....they've no right. :rob

Become trendy,
Much the same as airheads,guzzis etc

Good. I have an Airhead and a Guzzi to offset the depreciation of my KTM :)

You keep those fucking horrible Enfield Bullet shitheaps. The 650 looks promising and the Himalayan probably has a place though

Yes, these damn young people riding motorcycles......how dare they....this is our scene.....they've no right. :rob

Who mentioned anything about young people? I guess you think all the people chopping up bikes are youngsters. I don’t frequent hipster places, but I never assumed they would be young. Am I wrong?
I am most certainly not against youngsters riding bikes. i doubt many went as far as myself to get their son into motorcycling. When he was about 8 I got him a PW 50 which he played about on. When he was 13 I got him a Whitehawk TY80 and first time out he sussed clutch control. When he was 15 I bought him a DT50 MX so he could ride it when he turned 16. He wasn’t interested. When he was 16 I bought a Honda XL125V so he could ride it when he was 17. Still not interested. He is not interested in taking his driving test either at 21.
I find it a bit weird as, at 15, I couldn’t wait to jump on my FS1-E on my 16th birthday. He simply doesn’t get excited by the powered transport thing.

Who mentioned anything about young people? I guess you think all the people chopping up bikes are youngsters. I don’t frequent hipster places, but I never assumed they would be young. Am I wrong?
I am most certainly not against youngsters riding bikes. i doubt many went as far as myself to get their son into motorcycling. When he was about 8 I got him a PW 50 which he played about on. When he was 13 I got him a Whitehawk TY80 and first time out he sussed clutch control. When he was 15 I bought him a DT50 MX so he could ride it when he turned 16. He wasn’t interested. When he was 16 I bought a Honda XL125V so he could ride it when he was 17. Still not interested. He is not interested in taking his driving test either at 21.
I find it a bit weird as, at 15, I couldn’t wait to jump on my FS1-E on my 16th birthday. He simply doesn’t get excited by the powered transport thing.

Sounds like my son

Ridden bikes off road as a teenager

Not bothered about riding a bike on road - straight into car at 17

I think it safe to say that what people on here term as 'hipster' are generally a far younger crowd than the pinch faced old coffin dodgers amongst these hallowed pages. :augie

I also think it safe to say that historically it is usually the younger generation that customise/modify/cut up/butcher (delete according to prejudice) bikes. From cafe racers-50s/60s to choppers-70s to streetfighters-80/s/90s to modern day retro type thingys......twas ever thus. Only now, we are the old farts that are belly aching (alright, not all of us) about 'perfectly good bikes being ruined'. And so the circle of life carries on.

Back
Top Bottom