Bloody stone chips

dancerdave

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've only got 1500 miles on my Urban and already I've got three stone chips on the tank :mad:
Bloody BMW paint. Anyone else find this as I've never had a bike so prone to chipping.

I've only got 1500 miles on my Urban and already I've got three stone chips on the tank :mad:
Bloody BMW paint. Anyone else find this as I've never had a bike so prone to chipping.

I assume you riding your bike all year round?

The problem is that it isn’t just biked, cars suffer too. All it takes, is for a grittier to go on same stretch of road as you just a 10-15 minutes before you. My car got major front end damage a few years ago on M40, fritter was just a few minutes up ahead while trucks and rest of them kicking up stones and chucking them at the motor behind.

Best advice I can give is to stay way back behind vehicle in front and slow down to reduce combined speed of approaching grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see if this self-healing paint Kawasaki are starting to introduce actually works in practice.

Is it just through the top coat, or down to the metal though? It's usually the rear subframes of late.

Yep a couple of chips on mine I think it's the lack of front mudguard and loose road chippings as soon as winter arrives the surface seems to break up in our neck of the woods

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 347
Ordered touch up which ironically Motorrad do not stock. Colour code is B15 and is same as a Mini colour apparently.

low full length front mudguard sorts the issue.
I couldn't tolerate how mucky I was getting after every ride and if raining I needed a wet suite. Bike was filthy as well.
I also installed a puig rear hugger.
Does change the looks but a trade off I am willing to make.

I couldn't tolerate how mucky I was getting after every ride and if raining I needed a wet suite. Bike was filthy as well.

Have you got a link?

You could install some of that clear plastic paint guard protection to the affected areas after touch up.

Certainly on my Scrambler with the low standard mudguard with a fender extender I am not getting any stone chips on the lacquered Ali tank and it does get taken on some mucky old roads from time to time ;)

Back
Top Bottom