Harley-Davidson Approves New Zinc Plating Processes

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Don't know if tit's permitted here to reference another site, if not just delete it. But I thought this could be of interest for those in the UK seeing how corrosion complaints seem to pop up here frequently.

New protective coating will last even longer than existing surface treatment.

While it’s rare that our motorcycles spend time exposed to salt or moisture, ferrous (that means iron-based) components are prone to rusting. While most components are painted, the fasteners holding the parts of our motorcycles together are typically bare or zinc plated. This makes them especially susceptible to rust.

Many fasteners on Harley-Davidsons are zinc plated to prevent oxidation. This is accomplished through a process called passivation, where the metal is treated in such a way as to make it less likely to react with its surrounding environment (and become oxidized or rusted). During the passivation process, the surface of the metal is lightly coated with a protective material (usually zinc) to keep rust at bay.

Typically, zinc coating appears as a shiny orange/yellow/green coating on nuts and bolts. While it typically holds up well to regular use, eventually it is worn away by use and environmental factors. It’s just a thin surface coating, after all. The result is an initially cloudy finish, followed up by eventual rust.

The good news is that it takes years for the finish to erode, and with the limited, fair-weather use most Harley-Davidsons get, it’s less likely to happen at all. Still, this recent bit of news from Products Finishing, a trade publication for the finishing industry, is exciting.

Recently, Harley-Davidson has taken on Asterion as a supplier, intending to use their Technibrite alkaline and acid zinc plating systems on powertrain components. This new protective coating is reported to last even longer than the existing surface treatment.

Asterion worked with Hydrite Chemical Company to create a finish that looks like shiny, fresh metal while requiring little to no maintenance or upkeep. While it’s unlikely that you’ve ever thought about your motorcycle’s nuts, bolts, and unpainted drivetrain parts before, it’s clear that Harley-Davidson plans to keep it that way.

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/m...e=jan16&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content

Zinc and Nickel plating is so easy to do at home with little more than a mobile phone battery charger and a suitable cathode at barely any cost.

Zinc and Nickel plating is so easy to do at home with little more than a mobile phone battery charger and a suitable cathode at barely any cost.

I wasn't aware of that? Anyway I'm always glad when any manufacturer makes improvements.

Harley chrome seems to hold up well. It is the aftermarket bits that bugger up after a couple of years, such as those from Kuryakyn.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

23 years old 108,000 miles, ridden all year round.... Chrome is still perfect.

Two minor blisters on rocker covers...

Attachments

• 9F016F0C-BE1C-4409-9041-CDBF64B44523.jpg
    9F016F0C-BE1C-4409-9041-CDBF64B44523.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 368
That's good to hear actually I've had very little corrosion problems on a motorcycle, but mine are generally kept indoors and I don't live near salt water. I think this is for fasteners such as bolts and nuts etc. One of the few problems I have had was with various bolts on a BMW R1150, I ended up just buying new caliper bolts along with some others.

Some good marketing spiel in the press release

Typically, zinc coating appears as a shiny orange/yellow/green coating on nuts and bolts. While it typically holds up well to regular use, eventually it is worn away by use and environmental factors. It’s just a thin surface coating, after all. The result is an initially cloudy finish, followed up by eventual rust.....
The good news is that it takes years for the finish to erode, and with the limited, fair-weather use most Harley-Davidsons get, it’s less likely to happen at all. Still, this recent bit of news from Products Finishing, a trade publication for the finishing industry, is exciting.

As far as my memory goes, Zinc plating is either Acid or alkaline based - which is exactly what the "new" process is offering...

So how does it fare with normal every day use??? ;)

23 years old 108,000 miles, ridden all year round.... Chrome is still perfect.

Two minor blisters on rocker covers...

Well it appears to have been well taken care of as well as being stored indoors, at least now. And HD probably did a nicer job on finishing back then.
Now about that door, there appears to be rust forming at the bottom.... :)

Well it appears to have been well taken care of as well as being stored indoors, at least now. And HD probably did a nicer job on finishing back then.
Now about that door, there appears to be rust forming at the bottom.... :)

Being 20 feet from the Sea is a bit of a problem!!... my car is often covered in salt water spray!!!

I reckon the paint and chrome of 1996 was certainly stronger!! Maybe not so good for the environment mind..

Some of the aftermarket stuff is shocking...
Harley chrome seems to hold up well. It is the aftermarket bits that bugger up after a couple of years, such as those from Kuryakyn.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Being 20 feet from the Sea is a bit of a problem!!... my car is often covered in salt water spray!!!

How do you keep anything from corroding living 20 feet from salt water? When I visited the North Carolina coast I was shocked how bad a lot of things rusted..... bicycles, heat pumps, tractors, motorcycles, cars, pick up trucks, signs, etc. Talking with a local about it and he said “hell even plastic rusts here”.

It’s a couple of hundred meters in reality... but all the same metal rusts pretty quick.

The yellow coloured zinc passivation is hopeless for anything other than indoor use. They are replacing it with a bright zinc plating, which is the standard finish you will get here on high tensile fasteners.

The yellow coloured zinc passivation is hopeless for anything other than indoor use. They are replacing it with a bright zinc plating, which is the standard finish you will get here on high tensile fasteners.

Had HD been using the yellow zinc passivation prior?

Back
Top Bottom