Show us your Monkey Bike..

Rear shocks are definitely the biggest weak point on the Monkey. I've replaced mine with a £99 pair off eBay which whilst not state of the art are a lot stiffer than oem! I've fitted a Tyga full exhaust which removes the convoluted pipe work and cat without being too loud. The 2nd weakest thing is the chain. But at less than 30 quid for a chain and sprocket kit I can live with that. Fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket which makes a noticeable difference in acceleration and ride ability without seemingly compromising top speed. Still brings a smile to my face every time I ride it:D

Attachments

• IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 313
Rear shocks are definitely the biggest weak point on the Monkey. I've replaced mine with a £99 pair off eBay which whilst not state of the art are a lot stiffer than oem! I've fitted a Tyga full exhaust which removes the convoluted pipe work and cat without being too loud. The 2nd weakest thing is the chain. But at less than 30 quid for a chain and sprocket kit I can live with that. Fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket which makes a noticeable difference in acceleration and ride ability without seemingly compromising top speed. Still brings a smile to my face every time I ride it:D

Been reading a lot about the 14 tooth front sprocket conversion and there is much discussion about it throwing the speedo reading out and also causing the ABS issues with the light to coming on, did you experience any problems or have to fit a speedo healer device?

Been reading a lot about the 14 tooth front sprocket conversion and there is much discussion about it throwing the speedo reading out and also causing the ABS issues with the light to coming on, did you experience any problems or have to fit a speedo healer device?

Hi Bob I fitted a 14 T sprocket, I have to say it didnt seem to do much other than overstate speed by 10%. I allways thought the monkey was torqy enough before. If you are more than 12 stone and live in a hilly area , then yes fit one, they are a tenner and take 20 mins to fit.

I took mine off because on certain rides , maybe speed or distance, but the ABS light came on. Its a quick fix to clear it, stop, turn off ignition and then re start. Call me old fashioned But I don’t like warning lights flashing at me on a new bike

I am definitely more than 12 stone and live in a hilly area:D Yes it has thrown the speedo out a bit but I've not had the ABS warning and nor has my mate who also fitted one. It was £4.99 for a JTS one off eBay and is really easy to swap out so probably worth a punt

Hi Bob I fitted a 14 T sprocket, I have to say it didnt seem to do much other than overstate speed by 10%. I allways thought the monkey was torqy enough before. If you are more than 12 stone and live in a hilly area , then yes fit one, they are a tenner and take 20 mins to fit.

I took mine off because on certain rides , maybe speed or distance, but the ABS light came on. Its a quick fix to clear it, stop, turn off ignition and then re start. Call me old fashioned But I don’t like warning lights flashing at me on a new bike

Thanks Steve; i'm way over 12 stone, more like 17:eek: I am still amazed at how well it hauls my bulk for it's size. Seems like the 14 tooth is not really worth doing with the hassle it causes, also its a 9HP 125 if I need more I have bigger bikes, half the fun of the bike is making the most of what little power there is. Thanks for sharing your experience.

New Hagon Shocks ordered today, heavy duty rated to 110kg so that should improve the ride as the standard ones bottom out a lot of the time.

I am definitely more than 12 stone and live in a hilly area:D Yes it has thrown the speedo out a bit but I've not had the ABS warning and nor has my mate who also fitted one. It was £4.99 for a JTS one off eBay and is really easy to swap out so probably worth a punt

The Abs light doesn’t come on straight away, thats the weird bit! Mine came on about 200 miles after fitting the 14t. I think its something to do with the gearbox output shaft speed versus the front wheel speed. The few times mine came on I had been on dual carriageways at 55/60 flat out.

The Abs light doesn’t come on straight away, thats the weird bit! Mine came on about 200 miles after fitting the 14t. I think its something to do with the gearbox output shaft speed versus the front wheel speed. The few times mine came on I had been on dual carriageways at 55/60 flat out.

Wow!! At 17 stone and bike in standard trim, I got 63 yesterday on a dual carriageway, I regularly get 55 but cruising at 50 is the norm, Red must be the faster colour:D

Me too. Been getting deathly stares from Wife since I mentioned it.... I even hoovered, tidied up, bought her wine and fed the family this evening.... :D

I've just been given an explicit no. Don't see why, it's practically free!

I've only just seen this thread.

Bought my Monkey last Christmas and love it.

Changed the rear shocks to Hagon.

Attachments

• IMG-20200913-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20200913-WA0015.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 507
Wow!! At 17 stone and bike in standard trim, I got 63 yesterday on a dual carriageway, I regularly get 55 but cruising at 50 is the norm, Red must be the faster colour:D

Bob its nowt to do with your svelte figure hitting 63 on stock gearing. By going from 15 to 14 you are gearing down so the top end is less , but acceleration and ability to go up hills is improved. Ironically the speedo on a 14 T will prob show 65 it aint!

Imposter

Bought this earlier in the year. £1500 and goes like stink.

Does get interesting on bumpy bends.

Barry

Attachments

• 21F47286-475F-463D-9533-E1553FF413D1.jpg
    21F47286-475F-463D-9533-E1553FF413D1.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 417
Monkey Mods

Got a few accessories for the Monkey, I can see Monkey ownership becoming a long and expensive process, but it's ready for touring now.

Hagon shocks, luggage rack and screen now fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 386
Got a few accessories for the Monkey, I can see Monkey ownership becoming a long and expensive process, but it's ready for touring now.

Good one Bob .... bit of a change from the Indian :D

:beerjug:

Hoping to do something similar with postie bikes if they make it here next year. The wife and I are planning to get a couple and do a UK round the coast trip, not all in one go I hasten to add.
Coastie on a Postie. :moped:

That looks bloody fantastic. I’m very tempted to expand the fleet with one of those.

Anyone selling their Monkey bikes Im interested, I have been riding Mark Shelley’s Van Van for the last 18 months and its mint. Time has come to move up to a bit of Monkey love!

One currently for sale on here in the non GS bikes and car section:thumb

Back
Top Bottom