Clean, shiny and powder coated

Hi Phil

I've just had my luggage bars powder coated and I'm struggling to get the boxes on due to the extra thickness of the coating, particularly for the top box. Did you have a similar problem and if so, what adjustments were you able to make?

Cheers,

Garan.

Sorry to hear this. No, I haven’t had any particular problem.
When I first took them to the fosters, the finish that they applied came out much lighter tgan the swatch that he & I found “matched” the frame colour, so he went away, found another better one and, to the best of my knowledge, over costed the first colour. So effectively I have two thicknesses of finish on my bars.
Yes, clamping the bars “shut” now is tighter & tougher than originally, but not overly so.

Yes, clamping the bars “shut” now is tighter & tougher than originally, but not overly so.

Thanks for replying. I'm not taking the top box off away from home unless I really have to and the side panniers go on off with a little nudge from the knee so it's not the end of the world. First world problems :)

Cheers,

Garan.

Hi Phil

I've just had my luggage bars powder coated and I'm struggling to get the boxes on due to the extra thickness of the coating, particularly for the top box. Did you have a similar problem and if so, what adjustments were you able to make?

Cheers,

Garan.

I remember seeing one of the “custom” jobs supplied by BMW. I think they sent them to a place in the UK before delivering to the dealers.
The rails were in black and it was a bastard to close the latches. After a year (bike traded in) the rails looked a bit scuffed from taking the boxes on and off.
If you get them on leave em on is my advice or your nice work could be undone

I remember seeing one of the “custom” jobs supplied by BMW. I think they sent them to a place in the UK before delivering to the dealers.
The rails were in black and it was a bastard to close the latches. After a year (bike traded in) the rails looked a bit scuffed from taking the boxes on and off.
If you get them on leave em on is my advice or your nice work could be undone

I love the look of the black bars but this is putting me off.

I love the look of the black bars but this is putting me off.

Sorry :(.
Black rails look great but if the boxes come off and on then it’s gonna scuff that finish. On my unpainted rails the points of contact on them are slightly scuffed with dirt acting as an added abrasive.

It depends how particular you are about the finish. If it doesn’t bother you that with the boxes off up close you see scuffs but from ten feet away it’s fine then go for it as black boxes with the black rails looks really good.

Just a quick question, is that a Ram Mount you are using for the QuadLock, I saw you posted close ups mate, but I wonder if you have a link for it?

It’s a 1” RAM Ball mirror mount, a medium 1” RAM Ball extension arm and a Quad lock RAM ball

This combination worked for me. I also tried the short RAM double socket extension arm and the Lite series composite arm but neither worked as the phone has to be high enough to miss the brake reservoir as it swings around. It won't fit on the left hand side of the nav unit as it blocks access to the sat nav lock.

I also replaced the Allen bolts on the mirror mount as they were an odd size that only the Allen key supplied worked with. I think it's a 3.5mm Allen key (which I don't have) as the nuts are metric thread but could also be an exotic imperial one that isn't in my imperial set.

RAM parts:

Torque™ Handlebar and Rail Base 1" Ball 0.375" to 0.625" Diameter (RAM-B-408-37-62)
RAM Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball (RAM-B-201)

To those who were asking what colour the coaters used on the bars, he’s just got back to me. The powder they used is; HMG powder REF: 916-oso7op-1629 POLY ANTHRACITE

It appears to be a RAL 7021 coating with a metallic finish. Costs about £ 15 per kg but another £ 35 to get it to the NL :eek:

So, now looking for other coating companies that offer the correct color...

I thought I'd share a pic or two of my bike, having just given it a bit of a clean and polish and having had the bars powder coated as similar a grey I could find to the frame.
The luggage rails have also had some clear vinyl wrap added to try and delay any chipping.
I'm happy with the way they look but no doubt there will be some on here who will be of a different opinion... :rolleyes:

what brakets mount your additional spots on the upper bars?

what brakets mount your additional spots on the upper bars?

Possibly these, I am also using a set based on Flaming T’s suggestion and HexEzCan contributions.

Pair of Very High Quality Universal 28mm 1 1/8" Diameter Motorcycle Black CNC Machined Spotlight/Fog Light Brackets https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0781XLL48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_PitB5nrAit3WG

My GSA with spots on upper bars using those.

420039d4fa4c049968f83788f85ecb83.jpg

I recently had my crash bars coated in the same colour as Phill has. I must say I’m really happy with the result.

That looks great :thumb

You just need to get the silver tray under the pillion seat painted black, to finish off the look. ;)

Back
Top Bottom