Xt1200z owner back to what I know

I bought an early model as they have less bells and whistles to go wrong.
I'm on my second super tenere after spending time on an R1200gs lc and ktm 1290 super adventure r...... Neither of which I miss.
If you get an early model budget to change the camchain tensioner as its one of the bikes few known faults.
I changed quite alot on my bike, but most are through personal choice.
I've had my latest bike 6 months now and have covered 7k miles with zero faults and averaged 55-60mpg no matter how I ride.
If you want some extra zip, get the ecu flashed and it'll remove the restriction in the first 3 gears and give it the balls it should have always had.

Sent from whatever I'm using at the time

Hi ken, The 2014 and later models were a tad different, as mentioned some earlier models had cam chain issues and I think the later models may have had a different ecu map. I had mine for three years, totally reliable except for a couple of loose spokes on the rear wheel. They are very heavy, but a fair bit of the weight is low down. Seat height is adjustable, expect around 50mpg, fairly easy to self service but a lot of panels and stuff needs to be removed (what modern bike doesn't) I swapped mine eventually for a T120 Bonny as I needed something lower and lighter and with an easier clutch.
If you want to discuss ownership call me, I think you have my number. Al.

Superb bike. I've had mine - A 2015 XT1200ZE Worldcrosser - since May last year. Fuel economy is excellent - computer shows around 63mpg touring 2-up with full luggage, usually get around 270 miles per tank - does 50 miles after low fuel warning starts.

Also suits me tyre-wise as it uses the same sizes as my R1150GS so I can stock/use the same tyres for both bikes - Michelin Anakee 2's, a superb tyre on both bikes - they vastly improved the Super Ten compared to the original Bridgstone's.

The wife and I have now done 2 Euro tours on it - but only done 8,000 miles on it since May as I've still got the GS on the road.
Very pleased with the the Yamaha - super-smooth engine with endless torque, lovely gearbox and shaft drive. Superb build quality and engineering. I use the seat in the higher position and the leg room is loads better than the GS.

I has a couple of flaws, low speed off/on throttle is not as good as the GS but you soon learn to drive around it - sometimes with a deft touch on the clutch.
The cruise control is great BUT when you switch it off it's like you've thrown an anchor out the back and the wife's helmet headers the back of mine (engine braking on the Yamaha is incredible!) - again you can solve the problem by opening the throttle to the approximate matching position - but that needs planning time, so not always possible.
The brakes are good - but don't feel as good or sharp as the Brembo's on the old GS! - but that may be partly due to the "IBS" which is applying some rear brake with the front lever use?

Anyway, very, very pleased with the Super Tenere so far

HI found coming off cruise control is smoother if you dip the clutch to disengage. My low speed on off throttle was much improved with a Booster Plug , a bit more low speed power in touring mode and not so snatchy in sport mode.

Grant was the very man who flashed my ecu and I can't recommend him enough. Totally transformed the old girl and made it what it should always have been.

Here's mine which lives in my garage next to my GSA!

2015 XT1200ZE World Crosser 35k with only one issue.....misfire caused by dirty fuel in Denmark.

Most under-rated bike on the market IMHO.

One of the few bikes I'd buy again.....Yep done that! This is my third (long story)

It's heavy because it's built like a tank!

How did you "cure" the mis-fire? I got some bad fuel last week in Spain and the misfire is a real p.i.t.a! As the fuel dilutes does it disappear or does the fuel filter need cleaning ? thanks

How did you "cure" the mis-fire? I got some bad fuel last week in Spain and the misfire is a real p.i.t.a! As the fuel dilutes does it disappear or does the fuel filter need cleaning ? thanks

You could try a fuel stabiliser - Yamalube or similar maybe.

However, misfires on a Super10 are often caused by the coil sticks either corroding/failing, or water ingress from heavy rain/pressure washing. Have you checked for codes?

Took it to my independent mechanic......Bolton Motorcycle Workshop in Belmont

He had to remove the fuel pump and clean it. Surprisingly this is not mentioned in the service schedule

Then, on his recommendation I put some Silkolene Pro FST Fuel System Treatment into the tank to clear out any remaining crap from the injectors

Came home running like a dream and still does.

As I get him to check for corrosion on the coil sticks at every 6k service I ask him to clean the petrol filters at the same time

Although this video is in Italian(!!!!) I think you will find it useful

https://youtu.be/0ukDQABD4-g

If you search https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php you will find more useful info

Mike

Well all my suspicions have been confirmed and just ticked over 12k miles in 10 months of ownership....... Not a single issue. I'm glad I returned to the S10 fold.
c1236f6e6eb1d803e0f1ac26760f6a79.jpg

I have only had the aux socket fuse blow in 4 years (I plugged in a tyre compressor) Which was self inflicted, otherwise the bike has been faultless. service it annually, change the tyres and put fuel in.

Last rear tyre avon trailrider did 7k still with tread but had to change as I was going on a tour of Germany.

Barny

I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but just wondering if anyone ever did get their ECU flashed by WIZ Performance and if you did, what was the result?

Hi,

I had mine done by wiz a few years ago, it's well worth the money. The bike feels so much better for it and my mpg actually improved.
My bikes a 2013 model.
I regularly get 58 mpg from the bike.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

That’s good to hear! Did you post your ECU or ride-in-ride-out?

Back
Top Bottom