Tubes or tubeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been looking at Rally Raid products for my next awesome steed and noticed that they offer tubed or tubeless wheel options.

Can anyone offer any advice on what is the best option please? Any Pro`s and cons would be good. Ease of repair, tyre choice etc will all be factors I assume, but happy to be guided by someone who knows what they are talking about.
Bike is going to be used for green lane duties but will be ridden on the road, (rather than in a van or on a trailer,) to the lanes. Obviously there will be the inevitable tarmac sections between tracks to deal with as well.
Thanks.

FWIW I’ve had my RR BART wheels converted from tubed to tubeless ahead of a big overland trip. I’m sure there are some reasons why tubed is better if you’re a real expert but I prioritised availing to self-repair punctures.

I’ll take tubes with me, in case I damage the rims...

I’ve posted on this a few times. First of all cards on the table I don’t use my bike off road. Currently a rt but have had gs/gsa before in 1200 and 800 flavors. The simple take on tubes is that tubeless is safer period. Now if your wheels are tube type you haven’t much choice only to use tubes or some sort of expensive conversion. If your wheels are tubeless you can put tubes in if you have to. In my 40+ years of riding bikes changing tyers fixing punctures in tubes and tubeless I have never come across a situation where tubes would have been better. Now if I was undertaking a round the world trip I’d bring 1 tube just in case. Just think if a tyre is so damaged that you have to use a tube what would have happened if there was a tube in there when the damage occurred? A blowout most lightly. JJH

I don't mind ether cos when I'm out on the road or lanes with the lads and someone has a puncture they look at me to fix it, have a spare wheel and try changing inner tube a few time you will soon get it, top tip when you do it on the road or trials the tyre will be warm so much easier to remove.
You can always try mousses but then you will open all new can of worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom