2007 K1200GT would you?

Jiffy176

Reaction score
Motorworks have a K1200GT in their for sale section , full history and 64k from memory. The Bodywork is a bit tatty but nothing horrendous.

Having read that early runs of this bike had issues is this worth going for or steer clear. I would be chopping in an 01 1150GS.

What are people's thoughts.

I had a 2007 k1200r. It’s was a great bike, awesome engine. The fuel strip went on it a couple of times (Very common fault) which was annoying and the ABS. Fortunately I had the extended warranty as the ABS is horrifically expensive.

I think the 2007 bikes are not too bad. It was the early 2005/2006 bikes I think had more issues. There were a few recalls, I think the main one to check is the cam chain tensioner, however if it’s done that many miles I imagine it’s been done.

Motorworks have a K1200GT in their for sale section , full history and 64k from memory. The Bodywork is a bit tatty but nothing horrendous.

Having read that early runs of this bike had issues is this worth going for or steer clear. I would be chopping in an 01 1150GS.

What are people's thoughts.
After 64k, I'd expect any problems to have been fixed long ago.

Motorworks, have a reputation to maintain, see if you can extend the warranty.

Then again, I've recently bought a K1300r !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Do these have the infamous iabs?
The GS is the first bike I've had with abs and quite like it so would like anything newer to have it.

I had one. the gearchange did my head in. Was constantly in and out of BMW.
Quite a complex bike so factor this in.

I’m also looking at a K1200GT!

Try and get a long ride on it, the wind and buffeting off the top of the of the screen was horrendous, it’s more of a sit up riding position than the RS and heavy, don’t pay a lot for it

I had an '08 (58) K1200GT and it never put a foot wrong EXCEPT for regular fuel strip replacements. First replacement was covered by warranty, and subsequent replacements by the two year warranty on each replacement (if that makes sense). I bought it late in 2008, sold it in 2016. I didn't put a huge mileage on it - maybe 5,000 a year on average, and it had about 30k on it when I sold it - but it worked really well both one up and two up. Lovely smooth engine. The gearbox was a bit clunky and noisy but never a real problem and never hinted at getting any worse.

Test ride it, see if you like it. They're under-rated bikes in my view;great for touring but also surprisingly good handling. Any major faults should have revealed themselves by now.

Try and get a long ride on it, the wind and buffeting off the top of the of the screen was horrendous, it’s more of a sit up riding position than the RS and heavy, don’t pay a lot for it
the buffetting can be a pain with the screen in the upmost position. but a £50 deflector sorts that out, or just run the screen lower, theres around 25Kg extra weight, but in time honoured BMW style its carried low down and disapears once moving, the extra 50 odd HP and 20 odd extra ft/lbs help a touch with that as well :rob
mine is a 2008, and I had the fuel strip go when it was 7 years old, the rest of it has been fine, very fast tourer and has been comfortable on all day long trips.

Tell us about your 1150GS................You may regret getting rid of that, many of us on here do.

I’d be careful. At that mileage it’s likely that both shocks have had it, and if ESA then it’s £1.7K to replace unless you can find someone to rework them. Look for and expect to see engine and rear drive corrosion, the radiator can get clogged and cause overheating (>£700 to replace and tricky to refill if it is OK), also look for front ball joints and rear bearings plus rear suspension linkage issues. They tend to run hot and have a stiff clutch with wandering bite point and a notchy gearbox. Also check whether it has assisted brakes as they’re a right PITA. On the plus side the later 1200Gt and 1300GT are a good bike to ride, very fast, excellent ride quality and great for longer high speed runs. There’s a site called AlpineBiker with an extensive history of his 1300 - most of which applies to later model 1200s.

We have owned a K1200R Sport for 9 years, and it’s been faultless.

It’s an August 2007 with iABS2, no servo to worry about.

It even has the original fuel strip.

The main service interval is 18000 which includes valve clearance and plugs.

Both are a PITA and overlooked by owners looking to move the bike on at minimal cost.

it’s worth checking that the dog bone rear suspension bushes have been stripped and greased previously.

They are long and heavy old girls, don’t underestimate the effort need to move one around.

Back
Top Bottom