Best place for bolts

Nutty

Reaction score
I normally use ProBolt for bolts for my bikes, as they do most sizes in black, and the quality is very good, however, their prices are creeping up.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that does a large selection of black bolts, with different pitches and diameters? Before the piss taking, this has been more challenging than it sounds! :blast:D

Buck & Hickman -

Can source really obscure stuff too

They used to deal direct to the public

( or they did when i asked the rep, when he used to visit one of the earlier companys i worked for )

I've used Carbolts in the past (black SS) but they weren't what I call cheap (but cheaper than Probolt) ~ good quality though.

Andres

Edit: In case you didn't know 'black' is often used to refer to an unfinished (as in unplated) alloy steel fastener. They are heat treated and have a dull black finish. I wouldn't use them in critical situations as they are quite brittle ~ make sure you know what you are looking for.

Just bought some M5x35 flanged Torx from eBay vendor Bolt Base ltd, seemed to have a good selection with speedy delivery
Iirc, they had black stainless A2 but I wanted A4 so got shiny steely colour
Boltbase.com

Thanks guys, will check those out.

I've used Carbolts in the past (black SS) but they weren't what I call cheap (but cheaper than Probolt) ~ good quality though.

Andres

Edit: In case you didn't know 'black' is often used to refer to an unfinished (as in unplated) alloy steel fastener. They are heat treated and have a dull black finish. I wouldn't use them in critical situations as they are quite brittle ~ make sure you know what you are looking for.

The good thing with Probolt is they explain the differences, so for blanking bolts, then aluminum is fine, but for engine/ exhaust etc they recommend stainless or titanium. :thumb

The good thing with Probolt is they explain the differences, so for blanking bolts, then aluminum is fine, but for engine/ exhaust etc they recommend stainless or titanium. :thumb

........and that's what you pay for I guess, the convenience of a little bag of just the right fasteners for the specific job you have in mind. Given that's what they do I don't think the prices are too bad TBH.

Andres

Real black bolts are just bolts that haven't been zinc plated, they've just got a coating of cheap black paint to stop them rusting in storage, not to be used exposed to the weather.

........and that's what you pay for I guess, the convenience of a little bag of just the right fasteners for the specific job you have in mind. Given that's what they do I don't think the prices are too bad TBH.

Andres

Well I’ve ordered some from your guys, so will see how they compare.

Real black bolts are just bolts that haven't been zinc plated, they've just got a coating of cheap black paint to stop them rusting in storage, not to be used exposed to the weather.

I had black bolts on my last bike for about 18 months, and they didn’t rust.

When I want cosmetic black bolts on any part of my bikes, I heat them to cherry red and quench in old oil.

Back
Top Bottom