Petrol tank question........

Any suggestions for a tank that was previously "fixed" :rolleyes: with "Petseal"?

I used two doses of it as suggested - the sales bloke said I'd need two on a big Guzzi tank.
Fine, only one of the tins had gone off and i didnt know this until half of it was poured into the feckin tank!
Cured too fast and went lumpy in there. I had no option but to leave it and hope.
Worked fine for a while until the lining started to come off and got through to the carbs o.k. where it coated the slides in a light coating of muck that jammed the carbs open. :eek: :blast

I gave up - Got a new/secondhand tank. :mad:
The old tank has been in the attic ever since.
..... i wonder if the "Petseal" has actually gone hard by now and i could reuse the tank? :nenau :D

Tank has been soaking in distilled vinegar for two weeks............
Flushed it out today........and hey presto all the bloody rust just came away and the inside is back to shiny steel:thumb2 Can’t believe how good it looks in there.All for about a fiver:beerjug:
Definitely the way to go, or at least we’ll worth a go before contemplating anything far more expensive.

:bounce1

Flushed it out today........and hey presto all the bloody rust just came away and the inside is back to shiny steel:thumb2 Can’t believe how good it looks in there.All for about a fiver:beerjug:
Definitely the way to go, or at least we’ll worth a go before contemplating anything far more expensive.

That's a result :thumb I've read on other forums about vinegar being used but it's always been a bit vague, could you tell us exactly what you used?

After the vinegar what did you rinse the tank with? If the answer is water and then left to dry then bad news it will have started to flash rust again. Following any etch process on tanks you needto rinse with water, and then follow with appz 250 mls of industrial Methalayted spirit IMS.
Keep the IMS away from paint and DONT smoke. Shake the tank around. Throw the 250 ml away ( it will evaporate in 5 mins) put another 250 ml of fresh clean ims in and shake the tank again. The IMS is hydroscopic eg water loving, it will mop up all the water from the seams.
Then leave the tank to air dry in a dry area. When the tank doesnt smell pop it in a airing cupboard or warm environment and Robert’s your uncle.

Steve

I rinsed it out with water. I then just added petrol back into the tank and flushed again with that. The tank is now spotless, but obviously I don’t know how bad it was, although when I washed it out with the water loads of very thin strips ( for want of a better description) of rust came flooding out. We’ll see what happens in the future, but it looks great now, far better than I imagined.Ive read some leave it for a month or more if the tank is very rusted.
The vinegar I used was white distilled vinegar .............29p for 550ml .
I bought 20 bottles of it.:thumb

Absolutely no signs of “flash rusting “ so far.....:nenau
I have to say, I didn’t think it would work anything like as well as it has.But for a fiver,I had to give it a go and I’m delighted with the way it turned out.....................so far.

Hope to to have the bike ready in a few days.......:bounce1:bounce1

The vinegar I used was white distilled vinegar .............29p for 550ml .
I bought 20 bottles of it.:thumb

Absolutely no signs of “flash rusting “ so far.....:nenau
I have to say, I didn’t think it would work anything like as well as it has.But for a fiver,I had to give it a go and I’m delighted with the way it turned out.....................so far.

Hope to to have the bike ready in a few days.......:bounce1:bounce1

Thanks. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom