August in the Alps

Crash and Burn

Reaction score
Hello all

I've been planning a motorcycle tour of the Alps in late July for a couple of weeks, with my kids (as soon as the summer holidays start). Now the lad has told me he might not be able to get time off work until late August.

I'm wondering if the weather, road traffic, camping being full, queues, etc will be so bad, that it spoils the trip.

Has anyone done a similarly timed trip and what was it like?

Many thanks, Nick.

I did one trip to the Alps in late July and while it was busy, it was never a huge problem. There were occasional queues of traffic stuck behind either a camper van or a clump of cyclists and cars were finding it very difficult to pass, but it was never an issue on the bike. I wouldn't imagine it would be that much busier in late August, and it's not late enough that the weather is likely to be a problem (though even in July we had hailstorms and fog and temperatures in the low single figures at the top of some passes).

I think it might be worth booking some accommodation in advance though.

German school holidays in Bavaria and Baden Wurtenburg normally start in the last week of July , we made the mistake of going last year at that time rather than early July as we normally do.

It was definitely much busier in the Austrian alps and around Lake Constance plus the Autobahns south of Munich had 30 mile plus traffic jams heading into the Alps.

Weather wise will be the same ............ its the Alps anything from 35 degrees plus to biblical thunderstorms or snow on the passes.

That said you will still be able to find campsites places to eat..................... just go for it

Back
Top Bottom