Elan Valley in February

Just got home from a trip there. Lovely day out and yes, the roads were extremely quiet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 299
Really nice up around the Beacons today. Couple of motorcycle police out doing speed checks, but surprisingly no vans spotted.

My route is from Worcester,so Tenbury(breakfast stop by the river) Shobdon to Presteigne,Radnor (stunning IMO) through to Pen y Bont,Rhayader.
Just out of town turn right,sign Elan Trail. This takes you anti clockwise round the lakes and I think has the better views. Cuppa at the visitor centre.
From where you are ,poss Monmouth,Builth Wells,to Rhayader.

Just avoid the A44,camera vans and to many wannabe racers.
Midweek is much better.
Enjoy.

Many thanks - looking fwd to that in next few weeks

For anyone heading that way ...

The A483 from Newtown south is a very fast road (yeah, I know it's only as fast as you use the throttle) mobile cameras. When it was resurfaced a few years ago there were five motorcycle fatalities in three weeks.

Far far better is the A488 from the A5 south of Shrewsubry down to Knighton (cafes and petrol) a crackin' road.

Mountain road across to Llanbister to the Lion Hotel whichI/we frequently use, biker friendly.

Biker meeting cafe at Crossgates if you're in to Biker Meeting Places

Across to Rhayader and along the Elan Valley, Mountain Road to Devil's Bridge (Two cafe's and narrow gauge steam railway)

You simply can't go wrong in this area. Everyone heads for north Wales ... full of tourists, Bears towing caravans, police ....

Mid Wales :thumby:

As an aside ... few of us booked in to the Lion Hotel at Llanbister for Easter. If you fancy a few days away give Janet a ring, see what rooms are left, if OK book yersens in. (They have cabins up on the hill where Ray keeps his horses)

Tell 'em Micky sent ya :thumby:

:beerjug:

Did the A488/A5 as part of a bigger route yesterday. Thanks for the tip!

Did the A488/A5 as part of a bigger route yesterday. Thanks for the tip!

My pleasure. Just back myself after spending Easter at The Lion Hotel with a few friends. Was good to meet up with 'GreatScot' and his lady Sue :thumb2

Great territory, superb scenery and roads, but hey, let's keep that to ourselves eh :D

My pleasure. Just back myself after spending Easter at The Lion Hotel with a few friends. Was good to meet up with 'GreatScot' and his lady Sue :thumb2

Great territory, superb scenery and roads, but hey, let's keep that to ourselves eh :D

Great to catch up with you and Sue, Micky at beer o' clock on Saturday. And meet Miss Millie in the flesh - lovely dawg! Had a great ride out on Sunday with your pals, lovely bunch of folks. Enjoy Dent - let's hope the weather is as good as it was this weekend. Can't make Dent this year but I'll plan ahead for 2020. :thumb2

Great to catch up with you and Sue, Micky at beer o' clock on Saturday. And meet Miss Millie in the flesh - lovely dawg! Had a great ride out on Sunday with your pals, lovely bunch of folks. Enjoy Dent - let's hope the weather is as good as it was this weekend. Can't make Dent this year but I'll plan ahead for 2020. :thumb2

They said you had a grin on your face :D

Elan Valley, Devil’s staircase, Wolf’s leap - absolutely stunning :thumby:

Attachments

• B63E76C4-92C4-43FE-8E7B-D6DE47E78316.jpg
    B63E76C4-92C4-43FE-8E7B-D6DE47E78316.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 180
Went past there yesterday then via Llyn Brianne and on to Tregaron for lunch. Then home via Devil's bridge and Rhayader. I live just 12 miles from Rhayader so fabulous rides right on the doorstep :D

Thanks for that G&T, although I'll pass on the swimming! Looking at my routes and tracks, I've ridden it as part of my Devil's Staircase ride but wasn't aware of the name of the place. Thanks again.

Thanks for that G&T, although I'll pass on the swimming! Looking at my routes and tracks, I've ridden it as part of my Devil's Staircase ride but wasn't aware of the name of the place. Thanks again.

Another one for you...after the Devil’s staircase, take gravel track on the left by the phone box. It will take you to Strata Florida abbey. As long as it’s dry you’ll be fine, but suggest 80/20 tyres, not for grip, but to avoid punctures. :D

Another one for you...after the Devil’s staircase, take gravel track on the left by the phone box. It will take you to Strata Florida abbey. As long as it’s dry you’ll be fine, but suggest 80/20 tyres, not for grip, but to avoid punctures. :D

Cheers for the tip, although have road tyres at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom