Elan Valley in February

wreck diver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One of my favourite rides.Didnt expect weather like this in February though.
Beautiful part of the world.:D

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_2776.jpg
    IMG_2776.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 491
One of my favorites too, I consider myself fortunate to have such easy access to a beautiful part of the country, great pics Ric.

Snowdonia tomorrow for me. Who'd have thought I'd get to wear summer gloves and ride on dry roads in Wales in February :D

Marvellous. :beerjug:

Not being able to ride my bike isn’t doing me any good, and this does not help!

Strangely the roads in Wales should be fairly quiet tomorrow afternoon.

I wonder why :)

I was down there last month for a few days ...

Had the place to myself .... practicing my monochrome :D

i-5ZPZZ76-L.jpg

i-4jZjtPZ-L.jpg

i-htxgvjV-L.jpg

A lovely place, probably more so in winter away from the crowds.

:beerjug:

Wow. Nice pics. I love riding around Elan Valley/Devil's Bridge, one of my favourite rides, even though it's over a two hour ride for me to get to it! Was toying with the idea of going up today, but heading east for a similar distance ride.

For anyone heading that way ...

The A483 from Newtown south is a very fast road (yeah, I know it's only as fast as you use the throttle) mobile cameras. When it was resurfaced a few years ago there were five motorcycle fatalities in three weeks.

Far far better is the A488 from the A5 south of Shrewsubry down to Knighton (cafes and petrol) a crackin' road.

Mountain road across to Llanbister to the Lion Hotel whichI/we frequently use, biker friendly.

Biker meeting cafe at Crossgates if you're in to Biker Meeting Places

Across to Rhayader and along the Elan Valley, Mountain Road to Devil's Bridge (Two cafe's and narrow gauge steam railway)

You simply can't go wrong in this area. Everyone heads for north Wales ... full of tourists, Bears towing caravans, police ....

Mid Wales :thumby:

As an aside ... few of us booked in to the Lion Hotel at Llanbister for Easter. If you fancy a few days away give Janet a ring, see what rooms are left, if OK book yersens in. (They have cabins up on the hill where Ray keeps his horses)

Tell 'em Micky sent ya :thumby:

For anyone heading that way ...

Across to Rhayader and along the Elan Valley, Mountain Road to Devil's Bridge (Two cafe's and narrow gauge steam railway)

You simply can't go wrong in this area. Everyone heads for north Wales ... full of tourists, Bears towing caravans, police ....

Mid Wales :thumby:

Absolutely spot on about mid-Wales, Micky. I moved to Llandrindod Wells in 2017 so all of this is right on my doorstep. I'm retired so don't need to ride at the weekend when it can get a bit busy so can ride for miles on weekdays without seeing a single well-ridden GS! :thumb2

I'll be having a run up there tomorrow and will be avoiding the cafe and the power rangers at Crossgates like the plague ;)

My route is from Worcester,so Tenbury(breakfast stop by the river) Shobdon to Presteigne,Radnor (stunning IMO) through to Pen y Bont,Rhayader.
Just out of town turn right,sign Elan Trail. This takes you anti clockwise round the lakes and I think has the better views. Cuppa at the visitor centre.
From where you are ,poss Monmouth,Builth Wells,to Rhayader.

Just avoid the A44,camera vans and to many wannabe racers.
Midweek is much better.
Enjoy.

My trip a few weeks ago on the Steamer

Attachments

• 65BF3FA1-57B0-4038-86AA-D47D374CA534.jpg
    65BF3FA1-57B0-4038-86AA-D47D374CA534.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 3B70E123-B2E3-4B7C-A85D-AE00ED6A0619.jpg
    3B70E123-B2E3-4B7C-A85D-AE00ED6A0619.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 284
  • A8EC6EF6-E6EC-47D7-8262-68647FB6713F.jpg
    A8EC6EF6-E6EC-47D7-8262-68647FB6713F.jpg