GS bar conversion?

Pat Dale

Reaction score
I was in Cotswold bmw today having a first look at the RS and they had one with what i was told was a gs bar conversion? I was rather put off the standard position as it is more extreme than my current vfr1200 with helibars. The gs bar on it was brilliant and would defo convince me to buy the bike like this. However, i have been unable to find any mention on forums as the salesman told me it was a common mod? All i have found is the wundrlich conversion which does look the same? Great looking bike and so light.

They use the top yoke and bars off the R1200R LC, it's a popular mod.

Ah i see, wonder why the guy said it was the GS then? He was their service fella too

Depending on how much you want to lift the bars, bar risers may help. I just fitted Helibars to my RS - up 3cm and back 1.5cm, and they make all the difference - takes a bit of weight off the wrists and opens up the torso/hip angle a bit. Less than half the price of this bar conversion and I fitted them in 25 minutes with no extension to clutch or brake lines needed. The problem with the bar conversion is bar it lifts the bars up so much, it makes the bike look very odd, and you may find you need a taller screen as you’ll be much more likely to get wind buffering from the top of the quite short screen.

Matty, i am used to heli bars on my vfr but the bars i tried today were very much better, Take your point on raising up and potential wind buffeting but tbh i am a fairly short guy 5'7 so suspect it would be ok. If not i would just stick an mra on

Sure, my concern would be if you want GS riding position get an R or a GS - lifting the bar height by several inches would not only make the RS look very odd (bar now above the top of the fairing) and must aurely have an effect on handling (so forks and chassis designed for much lower bar height)

The standard bar/ riding position (on my 1200RS) places much less weight/ pressure onto your arse than my GSA did

Well the bike i saw did not look odd at all, indeed i had walked past it alongside another 3 RS's and didn't spot it. Whether it effects the handling i assume is not the case as i see wunderlich sell something similar meaning they would not take a risk? I like the r but not the absence of protection and everyone seems to slate the windshields.

Yep i am sure it does but the RS is too much like my vfr as standard, time for a change.

I think the sport - touring riding position suits the RS once you get used to it.
FYI, it is easy to move the GS controls in 25mm each side and without cutting the bars.
I have done it on my GS & GSA's LC and hex. Makes a better riding position for me.

I think the sport - touring riding position suits the RS once you get used to it.
FYI, it is easy to move the GS controls in 25mm each side and without cutting the bars.
I have done it on my GS & GSA's LC and hex. Makes a better riding position for me.
Like said I have ridden vfr for 4 years so good idea that rs position will not work. Are you saying ypu have fitted GS bars to it?

Saw it today, & double checked which parts were used. It is the R1200R parts used in the conversion, & it does bring the 'bars up & back, which for some people might make all the difference.

Ah cool, thanks for confirming its the R bars. I think the wunderlich will work just as well seen those on a bike on you tube.

Wunderlich Bar Conversion

Hi all, I have an R1200RS Wunderlich straight bar conversion for sale if anyone is interested. Please take a look in the for sale section for details or just PM me, Cheers. Tony.

I’m looking for a bar conversion if anyone’s got one for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom